What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Moonrise Kingdom -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mention Wes Anderson to any cinephile, and you'll likely get a reaction. What that reaction will be will run the gamut from hate to dislike to a benign okay all the way through to absolute respect, love and admiration.

I'm one of those who falls into the latter category. I'm a huge fan of his work.

How one feels about Mr. Anderson and his work, will be an absolute as to how they relate to his latest, Moonrise Kingdom.

I found it charming, delightful, totally cinematic (I later saw Anna Karenina, which is magnificently pure cinema) and just a hoot.

As a viewer, you just need to understand, going in, what you're going to get.

As a Blu-ray, I found it to be a bit of a shocker, especially after checking the tech information.

Moonrise Kingdom from Universal (Focus) is a gorgeous Blu-ray, sourced from S 16mm Vision 3 7213, to a 2k DI. And viewing the Blu-ray I hadn't a clue.

For those few unaware, the cast is eclectic to be sure. Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Jason Schwartzman, Bob Balaban, and the ubiquitous Tilda Swinton as Social Services.

A film that my son considers to be among the best of 2012.

A perfect Blu-ray of a terrific piece of entertainment.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

PS: For those who have not yet seen Anna Karenina, get yee to a theatre. An amazing production.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yes, both are impressive films. Both are probably in my baker's dozen of the best films of the year.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
While I love the film and would be glad to pick this up, the lack of significant bonus content and Anderson's history with Criterion makes me believe that we'll get a better version of this disc in a year or two (film presentation quality aside).

Writer-dad

Grip
Real Name
Daniel MacDonald
Saw this two nights ago and wholly agree - a fantastic work of cinema from a distinctive artist.
I've gotta agree with Brandon, though, that a Criterion release feels imminent. Mind you, I'm still waiting for the Criterion Fantastic Mr. Fox, so maybe it's not such a sure thing.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I liked it, everything worked well in the movie and the acting was great. But it felt like every other movie Anderson does (which isn't a bad thing necessarily -- and I'm a fan). So, in some ways, it was boring because it all felt too familiar to me.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
bgart13 said:
I liked it, everything worked well in the movie and the acting was great. But it felt like every other movie Anderson does (which isn't a bad thing necessarily -- and I'm a fan). So, in some ways, it was boring because it all felt too familiar to me.
Exactly my feelings. Moonlight Kingdom felt like it was quirky simply for the sake of being quirky. Self consciously so. Anderson is a talented filmmaker (Rushmore is one of my favorite films), but this shtick is starting to wear on me.

Gem1836

Auditioning
Real Name
Reuben Davis
I am brand new to this forum and I am a rabid fan of Mr. Harris's restoration work. I fully agree that MOONRISE KINGDOM is so unique and entertaining that there has never been anything like it. I enjoyed the visuals on ANNA KARENINA, but I was bored silly.
I digress further. I saw the breathtaking restoration of Lawrence of Arabia at the AMC theater in Times Square last month, a Fathom event. It was beyond description:Sight, sound, everything. That brings me to SPARTACUS.I have seen the film at least 50 times. But seeing Mr. Harris's restoration at the Ziegfeld Theater in New York in 1991 was like seeing it for the first time. I know SPARTACUS was recently shown in LA. I would love to see it again in New York before my time on this earth is up.
What is this post? It is a love letter and thank you note to Mr. Harris. You have made this world a better place. Reuben Davis, New York, NY

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Gem1836 /t/325914/a-few-words-about-moonrise-kingdom-in-blu-ray#post_4011948
I am brand new to this forum and I am a rabid fan of Mr. Harris's restoration work. I fully agree that MOONRISE KINGDOM is so unique and entertaining that there has never been anything like it. I enjoyed the visuals on ANNA KARENINA, but I was bored silly.
I digress further. I saw the breathtaking restoration of Lawrence of Arabia at the AMC theater in Times Square last month, a Fathom event. It was beyond description:Sight, sound, everything. That brings me to SPARTACUS.I have seen the film at least 50 times. But seeing Mr. Harris's restoration at the Ziegfeld Theater in New York in 1991 was like seeing it for the first time. I know SPARTACUS was recently shown in LA. I would love to see it again in New York before my time on this earth is up.
What is this post? It is a love letter and thank you note to Mr. Harris. You have made this world a better place. Reuben Davis, New York, NY
Mr. Davis,

Kind words are always appreciated. Hopefully, we can get Spartacus to New York.

And welcome to HTF.

RAH

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by dpippel /t/325914/a-few-words-about-moonrise-kingdom-in-blu-ray#post_4011919
Exactly my feelings. Moonlight Kingdom felt like it was quirky simply for the sake of being quirky. Self consciously so. Anderson is a talented filmmaker (Rushmore is one of my favorite films), but this shtick is starting to wear on me.

Agree. "Moonrise" just feels like parody Anderson...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I think it's his strongest film since The Royal Tenenbaums (and I'm a big fan of The Life Aquatic). It's definitely Anderson's style and aesthetic to the 10th power, so if someone is growing tired of it I could see this aggravating them, but pushing all his chips into the center of the table worked for me. Additionally, Edward Norton needs to be in more of his films going forward. He's pitch-perfect.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I saw Moonrise Kingdom this summer and thought it was really stupid. Wonderfully stupid and currently my choice as most enjoyable film of the year. I haven't yet seen Anna Karenina, but I saw Life of Pi yesterday in 3D and think it should be on your must see list, particularly if you like 3D. The entire visual experience was outstanding. It's near the top of my this year's list.

JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Brandon Conway said:
I think it's his strongest film since The Royal Tenenbaums (and I'm a big fan of The Life Aquatic). It's definitely Anderson's style and aesthetic to the 10th power, so if someone is growing tired of it I could see this aggravating them, but pushing all his chips into the center of the table worked for me. Additionally, Edward Norton needs to be in more of his films going forward. He's pitch-perfect.
I find it interesting how divisive Anderson's films are. Even though all of his movies are basically the same as one another, any individual title can trigger adoration or loathing based on only the slightest differences. For every one of his movies, a large contingent of viewers will respond, "This is the only Wes Anderson movie I like. The rest are all crap." Or vice versa: "I love all of Wes Anderson's movies, except THAT one. It's terrible." For some people, that one movie, for good or bad, will be Rushmore, or Royal Tenenbaums, or Life Aquatic, etc., and you'll find little consensus about what makes that one film stand out as better or worse than the others. His work rides such a fine line that any little thing can set a viewer off.
Personally, I like all of Anderson's films, but this was the first that I found a genuine emotional connection with. The rest are more engaging intellectually.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
One of his best films, the NPR Schweddy Balls aesthetic of Wes Anderson is not quite as exasperating as it became in films like Zissou and Darjeeling.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam_S /t/325914/a-few-words-about-moonrise-kingdom-in-blu-ray#post_4012344
One of his best films, the NPR Schweddy Balls aesthetic of Wes Anderson is not quite as exasperating as it became in films like Zissou and Darjeeling.

Heh - good comparison!

I think the reason "Moonrise" wore on me more than prior Andersons was because those had stronger actors in the leads. Sorry, but I thought the kids were weak and they left a hole at the center of the movie. Superior adult actors made earlier Andersons less one-note to me and better films - like I mentioned, this one borders on self-parody to me...

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
JoshZ said:
I find it interesting how divisive Anderson's films are. Even though all of his movies are basically the same as one another, any individual title can trigger adoration or loathing based on only the slightest differences. For every one of his movies, a large contingent of viewers will respond, "This is the only Wes Anderson movie I like. The rest are all crap." Or vice versa: "I love all of Wes Anderson's movies, except THAT one. It's terrible." For some people, that one movie, for good or bad, will be Rushmore, or Royal Tenenbaums, or Life Aquatic, etc., and you'll find little consensus about what makes that one film stand out as better or worse than the others. His work rides such a fine line that any little thing can set a viewer off.
Personally, I like all of Anderson's films, but this was the first that I found a genuine emotional connection with. The rest are more engaging intellectually.
I agree with you whole-heartedly. I think Anderson is a unique artist and I've enjoyed all of his films (although have yet to see Life Aquatic). I disagree with Colin that the child leads in Moonrise Kingdom were weak. I felt that their delivery was perfect, in a deadpan sort of way. It's like a stage play but out in the open, and the kids gave it a stagey feel with their performances.

Nhoj Rolyat

Auditioning
Real Name
John Taylor
Watching this at a local indie was agony. Gormless lead people stumbling around clueless in a
from one ridiculous situation to another. The artistic pretentiousness was laid on with a trowel.
One might suspect that people who like it must also carry that lobotomized look and atmosphere
about them...but then Robert Harris?...The man who restored Lawrence of Arabia?
My God...Is this where we are headed. Give me John Ford or Anthony Mann...just about
anything but this!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson /t/325914/a-few-words-about-moonrise-kingdom-in-blu-ray#post_4012530

Heh - good comparison!

I think the reason "Moonrise" wore on me more than prior Andersons was because those had stronger actors in the leads. Sorry, but I thought the kids were weak and they left a hole at the center of the movie. Superior adult actors made earlier Andersons less one-note to me and better films - like I mentioned, this one borders on self-parody to me...

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/nprs-delicious-dish---schweddy-balls/999481/

I'm curious now if the sketch was secretly written and directed by Wes Anderson, it's Anderson before he was Anderson! it even features Alec Baldwin who Anderson has tapped for deadpan line reads exactly like this sketch. :D

Can anyone name a single Wes Anderson character that would NOT ask Santa for Oversized Index Cards?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Nhoj Rolyat said:
Watching this at a local indie was agony. Gormless lead people stumbling around clueless in a
from one ridiculous situation to another. The artistic pretentiousness was laid on with a trowel.
One might suspect that people who like it must also carry that lobotomized look and atmosphere
My God...Is this where we are headed. Give me John Ford or Anthony Mann...just about
anything but this!
One of the things that I enjoy about reading Robert Harris' reviews is that he, like me, genuinely LIKES just about every movie.
It is always good to hear what about a particular film he found to like.
I like Wes Anderson's movies, including Moonrise. He is one of the best directors working today IMHO. He has his own point of view, and I think I get it.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Nhoj Rolyat said:
anything but this!
Yes, that's the attitude... poor old Wes seems to cop the vitriol all the time from narrow-minded people with preconceived ideas of what cinema should be, and those who appreciate Wes also get a serve of it. I suspect the dissers aren't getting that the films are supposed to be funny and witty and visually arresting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmCaudata