What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Moby Dick (1956) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think you'd be a scalper even if you set the minimum bid at what you paid for the film. Actually, I don't think you're a scalper, period, if you sell a used copy of the disc for any price. It's those that buy several copies upon release from TT so they can resell them as "OOP, still sealed, brand new" for huge profits that I have issue with.

If you've purchased the film, watched it, and decided you don't want it anymore, I see that as a different situation. If you can make a profit on a used copy, more power to you.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Agreed - I have a couple TT titles I bought during low quantity alerts that were blind buys that I just didn't care for. I'll probably sell them at some point. If I break even, great, I'd consider that a whopping success. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

But I think there is something crappy about noticing a low quantity alert and saying to yourself, "I'm gonna grab the last ones before someone else does, just so I can sell it to them for extra money." There's no law against that with movies, but it's just bad karma. From everything TT has said about their business model, their margins seem to be so small that they're probably not too far off from being a non-profit. They're making a genuine effort to bring films they love out on disc for collectors who prefer physical media, while there's still a market for that. For a person to abuse that by hoarding copies solely to make a profit, it just seems nearly as classless to me as someone trying to profit off of a charity.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I wonder if a different transfer is going to be used. Apparently, StudioCanal owns the British rights (U.S. rights are with MGM), so chances are they're not gonna use the MGM elements or the HD master used for the Twilight Time Blu.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Watching this one again now....

As we all know, a haunting movie (and book) that's in part about how obsession can lead to disaster.
The book was quoted in and arguably was re-made as ...
1610253580869.png

Just sayin :cool:.

A picture of Khan's bookshelf
1610253989174.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks