What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Moby Dick (1956) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
TT doesn't have that kind of money, John Doe. And botched is a word I would sincerely use to describe a lot of the Fox product being pumped through Kino Lorber - NOT Moby Dick! In a perfect world we might all hope for millions to be spent on single deep catalog titles, but give your head a shake and let reality set in for just a moment or two. TT is a third party licencee and distributor. The 'MGM' situation Robert Harris spoke about earlier should have been your first clue where to lay your blame and disgust. Poor management at a bankrupted studio and bad asset management over the generations have conspired against Moby Dick.

Nothing more or else. Given the odds against the film, and the considerable - if not perfect - digital tinkering applied to ease and/or counteract these setbacks, it is a small wonder we have Moby Dick at all and in a manner that will, if not win any awards, then, essentially retard some of the ravages of time and mask the limited ability of MGM to do right by their deep catalog. They've done their best.

You may still see it as 'half-hearted' (I was going to use another word here). In point of fact, it's a little bit of both, but leaning far more toward the acceptable spectrum of digital clean-ups. I could wish for more or better. Realistically, I am satisfied - marginally - to see some work was done, particularly when I see a good many movies merely slapped to disc with ZERO attention paid to them. Moby Dick isn't a disaster. It's not even a middling effort. It's a valiant attempt to do what can be done with limited resources; the juggling act yielding far better than anticipated results. That consideration at all or of any kind was given to Moby Dick is a miracle; especially since we are talking about MGM; the studio that 'botched' the Blu-ray release of Marty (1955) - one of their best movies yet to receive a better than dreck transfer!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I admit I have not seen this film since high school English class. But the film history is, as always, fascinating.

First time I saw it was in an elementary school class around the age of nine or ten - I had an ambitious teacher! More than anything specific in the movie, just that sense of doom and gloom stuck with me. I saw it again maybe five or ten years ago and I enjoyed the movie, but it was only after seeing it again that I started researching the history of the film and learned about how the original prints were supposed to look. I never thought we'd ever get a disc like this of this movie, and I'm so excited to see it as originally intended.

Thanks, Josh. Much appreciated.

My pleasure - this is one of those movies I never thought I'd get to see presented this way in my lifetime. It's a huge thrill. Whether people choose to buy it or not - it's indisputable that the new Twilight Time edition is a labor of love.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
OK, just finished it.
My earliest memory of this film was watching it on TV sometime in the late 60's or early 70's.
So all I know of this film is what was presented on TV, VHS and DVD. Vivid color.
So watching this in its original screening form I have to say it was like watching this for the first time. The opened aspect ratios (from TV format) was a joy to watch. The desaturated color seemed to fit and make it more dramatic. I actually had chills in certain parts.
It was clear, more detailed then what I remembered. Not perfect of course, but a joy to watch.
I am no film expert, nor do I know anything about restoration, but for my money, this is 5 out of 5 stars.
I am pretty sure you guys/gals will love it.
As much as It's a mad mad mad mad world was a labor of love, I strongly feel that this version of Moby Dick is in the same category.

Thank you TT for your hard work.

Now, Up Helm! - Around the World!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your input, John Doe - when we're looking for investors we'll know who to call - meanwhile have a happy thanksgiving!

John Doe is the same guy who said George Feltenstein should pack up his marbles and leave
Warners and take his C grade musicals with him for licensing Mildred Pierce and Asphalt Jungle to Criterion! So I wouldn't pay much attention to him. He seems to have an agenda!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
First time I saw it was in 1956 during its initial run. The only thing I remember was a giant whale while looking down at the screen. I was in the balcony seats with my mom at a theater in downtown Los Angeles and it looked like I was looking down from the ceiling...ahh, a child's perspective.

Can't wait for my copy to arrive!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
First time I saw it was in 1956 during its initial run. The only thing I remember was a giant whale while looking down at the screen. I was in the balcony seats with my mom at a theater in downtown Los Angeles and it looked like I was looking down from the ceiling...ahh, a child's perspective.

Can't wait for my copy to arrive!
I had the same experience. I saw it as a little boy in the theater and was simply overwhelmed by the vastness of the sea and the size of the whale on the big screen. It's not a scary movie in the traditional sense, but it gave me nightmares for days afterward, just the beginnings of a child's understanding of the immensity and ferocity of nature. I'll never forget that first experience with this movie.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks to RAH for his thoughts and to Benbess and TT for the low quantity alert. I placed my order this evening (along with Boston Strangler) from the TT portal. Both will be blind buys, but I've yet to be disappointed with a single TT purchase so I have high hopes for these two.

Incidentally I got by SAE shipment today of the 9 (yikes) discs I ordered from the sale; interestingly I didn't get a shipment e-mail from them so this was a nice surprise to find it in my mailbox so soon. I know they must have been slammed with orders to kudos to them for getting these out so soon.

As others have said, it is best to ignore the trolling on this (and the Warner Archive) thread. I venture to say that 95%+ of the members of this forum have great respect for what Nick and Brian have done with their business. We are all richer for their efforts.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have this memory, a strong one yet perhaps a false one:

In 1956 I saw this film at age 6. I seem to very clearly recall that Ahab's ankle was caught in the loop of the rope attached to the final harpoon fired at the whale, and that he was lifted clear out of the boat and then strapped down to the creature's body. But in the video releases I've always seen, he is not pulled out of the boat by a rope around his ankle. Am I thinking of another movie, or another version of the movie?

Reactions: PMF

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
This movie isn't worth the effort. I'll wait for Netflix and it will look about as good.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I have this memory, a strong one yet perhaps a false one: In 1956 I saw this film at age 6. I seem to very clearly recall that Ahab's ankle was caught in the loop of the rope attached to the final harpoon fired at the whale, and that he was lifted clear out of the boat and then strapped down to the creature's body.

Are you thinking of James Mason in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This movie isn't worth the effort. I'll wait for Netflix and it will look about as good.

That's unlikely. The master that TT created will appear only on the TT disc. If MGM licenses it to streaming services like Netflix, it will be the uncorrected master with incorrect color timing. If the movie's not your cup of tea, there's nothing wrong with that, but I just hope it's clear that what TT is putting on disc here should be very special compared to all other available releases of this movie.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
It would seem that most here haven't seen the Scorcese recreation of the original look that was done for laserdisc. But if anyone has, I'd be curious as to how it compares...not in resolution of course but just the visual look. Really looking forward to this Blu-ray and I.consider myself lucky that TT has made it possible for all of us to own it in what is sure to be the definitive edition.

Reactions: PMF

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Watched it last night, and it looked magnificent to my untrained eye. Best I've ever seen it look on any media. There were a few scenes that didn't seem to have the best resolution, but overall a real treat. Bravo to TT for giving us the best Bluray possible with the elements they received.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks