What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Mark of the Vampire -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Tod Browning wasn't new to the business when he shot Mark of the Vampire for M-G-M in 1935. He began his career as an actor in 1913, and along the way directed several interesting horror films, inclusive of London after Midnight.

The film is an oddity, as it's a vampire film, with all the trappings, even Bela Lugosi -- except vampires.

It's a lush, typically M-G-M production, shot by James Wong Howe, with a cast that included Lionel Barrymore, Lionel Atwill, and Jean Hersholt.

Warner Archive's new Blu-ray is up to their normal standards, with wonderful detail for the era, rich blacks commensurate with shadow detail, and a grain structure as comfortable as a well-worn leather jacket.

Bottom line. It's certainly an oddity for M-G-M. It was reportedly cut from a preview cut of 80 minutes down to 60. Somewhere in that footage is an explanation of Mr. Lugosi's head wound.

Image - 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

lark144

Screenwriter
Real Name
mark gross
I've always considered this one of the most beautiful MGM productions of the early 1930's. The film makes no sense, and many of its scenes are at cross-purposes, but it's very elaborate and stylishly done. I've always liked it, especially for Lugosi, Borland and the MGM/James Wong Howe visual gloss and detail, which I'm assuming the Blu-Ray will enhance.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Bottom line. It's certainly an oddity for M-G-M. It was reportedly cut from a preview cut of 80 minutes down to 60. Somewhere in that footage is an explanation of Mr. Lugosi's head wound.

I suspect the movie would make a lot more sense with all that missing footage.

It's not a BAD movie but it's kind of a mess and it doesn't really hang together.

Richard Kaufman

Second Unit
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
"Mark of the Vampire" makes no sense, and the movie it's based on, "London After Midnight," also left viewers confused and continues to befuddle reconstructionists to this day. But it's hard to judge "Mark of the Vampire" without seeing that missing 20 minutes. Maybe the studio thought they could cut it down so it made some kind of sense. Nevertheless, it's a fun movie.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
As others have mentioned, it's a bit of a disaster. Looks great, but weirdly NOT scary. And Legosi's in it for 10 minutes tops. Lionel Barrymore is miscast - grotesquely so. I keep expecting him to do 15 minutes from his Oscar-winning 'A Free Soul'. He almost does.

Nothing here engages. WAC's transfer is stunning. But aren't there a ton of better movies from this vintage still MIA on Blu that could have benefited more so from a new-to-Blu release than this claptrap?!?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
As others have mentioned, it's a bit of a disaster. Looks great, but weirdly NOT scary. And Legosi's in it for 10 minutes tops. Lionel Barrymore is miscast - grotesquely so. I keep expecting him to do 15 minutes from his Oscar-winning 'A Free Soul'. He almost does.

Nothing here engages. WAC's transfer is stunning. But aren't there a ton of better movies from this vintage still MIA on Blu that could have benefited more so from a new-to-Blu release than this claptrap?!?

Well, I like it...so there! :excl:;)

Last edited:

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Grandma used to say, there's no accounting for taste...especially if you have none.

Now, before everybody jumps on me, I'm kidding. Dick's right. Tastes vary.

I just wish WAC had gotten to Browning's Freaks before this - a movie that, like Mark of the Vampire, was slightly butchered in the editing process, but overall is a far more 'complete' and competent effort from Browning, with a truly bone-chilling finale.

Again, Dick, take grandma's comment with a grain of salt. I just found it amusing. Tastes will differ. Best to all.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Again, Dick, take grandma's comment with a grain of salt. I just found it amusing. Tastes will differ. Best to all.

I have a very good, very dear friend who, when confronted with some "likes" or "dislikes" that differ from his own (usually from me), always sighs heavily and says, "well, you LIKE what you LIKE."

I could wring the son-of-a-bitch's neck every single time! lol

Last edited:

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I have a very good, very dear friend who, when confronted with some "likes" or "dislikes" that differ from his own (usually from me), always sighs heavily and says, "well, you LIKE what you LIKE."

I could wring the son-of-bitch's neck every single time! lol
The things I respond to and the things that leave me cold, be it music or visual entertainment, has been out of sync with the general public since birth, so I have gotten accustomed to rarely being in agreement with others. But, seriously, so many people act like you shot their dog and punched their mother if you don't agree with them about what they consider worth watching or listening to. It's baffling.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Grandma used to say, there's no accounting for taste...especially if you have none.

I just wish WAC had gotten to Browning's Freaks before this - a movie that, like Mark of the Vampire, was slightly butchered in the editing process, but overall is a far more 'complete' and competent effort from Browning, with a truly bone-chilling finale.

or The Devil Doll.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
What I especially like about MARK is the wonderfully creepy atmosphere. The views to the outside coupled with those weird moaning sounds just stand the hairs on my neck on end, but with a smile on my face. For that alone, it is worth every penny,

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I thought "Mark" leaned comedic at times. It felt similar in tone to "Bride of Frankenstein" in that it was a horror movie primarily but it had comedy in there.
Well to me it was Ed Wood before there was Ed Wood but what do I know? Barrymore just added to the craziness.
But give me his The Devil Doll!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Freaks is a bit of a problem film. Elements - both their wear as well as travels and licenses.

Certain it will arrive eventually.

”One of us…”

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Freaks is a bit of a problem film. Elements - both their wear as well as travels and licenses.

Certain it will arrive eventually.

”One of us…”
I just remember it fondly, or rather 'un' as a child of 7, seeing it on Bill Kennedy at the Movies and being terrorized by the final chase sequence and big reveal of the 'chicken' lady. Gave me the willies. Has stayed with me ever since.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I watched the new Blu-ray last night, and seeing this incredibly excellent transfer of Mark of the Vampire makes the film a great piece of entertainment — A visual feast — for the first 50 or 52 minutes of the under 61 minute run time.

There is no amount of missing footage or backstory that would make the ending of this film better. It's a ridiculous resolution that would be terrible even if the "edited" (if ever shot) 20 minutes of back-story/plot/whatever had been included.

I do like the end shot with Bela "the actor" claiming to be (censored here) than any real (censored here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the associate
Recent bookmarks