What's new

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
We have watched all four that you mention over the last year or so and also Blindfold and had a lot of fun.
Lover Come Back is our favorite among the Doris Day / Rock Hudson movies.

As for Man's Favorite Sport it is said it would have been better with Gary Grant but I doubt that as Rock Hudson is very good in his role and as has been pointed out has very good chemistry with Paula Prentiss. In any case I am glad that Gary Grant went on to do Charade and Rock Hudson Man's Favorite Sport - love them both.

Cary (not Gary) was almost 60 and felt he was much too old to be romancing a 25-year-old. In fact, he initially passed on CHARADE for the same reason until Peter Stone agreed to rewrite it so Hepburn chased him.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Cary (not Gary) was almost 60 and felt he was much too old to be romancing a 25-year-old. In fact, he initially passed on CHARADE for the same reason until Peter Stone agreed to rewrite it so Hepburn chased him.
Wow that was quite bad spelling Cary Grant's name wrong. I agree that the role in Man's Favorite Sport was written for a much younger man and Rock Hudson was quite a good fit. And then of course there is Paula Prentiss who has it all in his movie - I immediately wondered why I had not seen more of her after this one.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
And then of course there is Paula Prentiss who has it all in his movie - I immediately wondered why I had not seen more of her after this one.

Unfortunately, Paula's fast rising movie career was derailed after she suffered a complete nervous breakdown (that included a very public suicide attempt) on the Paris set of What's New Pussycat? the following year. For a time she was in and out of hospitals. She and husband Richard Benjamin went to TV to make the sitcom He & She in 1967 so that he could be near her, but she didn't really attempt another movie role until the 1970's. She's talked openly about it, although to this day I'm not sure she knows exactly what happened. In full view of everyone, she climbed to the rafters on set and calmly told them she was going to jump. A well placed stagehand reportedly caught her and saved her life.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, Paula's fast rising movie career was derailed after she suffered a complete nervous breakdown (that included a very public suicide attempt) on the Paris set of What's New Pussycat? the following year. For a time she was in and out of hospitals. She and husband Richard Benjamin went to TV to make the sitcom He & She in 1967 so that he could be near her, but she didn't really attempt another movie role until the 1970's. She's talked openly about it, although to this day I'm not sure she knows exactly what happened. In full view of everyone, she climbed to the rafters on set and calmly told them she was going to jump. A well placed stagehand reportedly caught her and saved her life.
Yes I read all about it and ultimately it is a story with a happy ending as she got out of it all with her sanity and her marriage intact and she was also able to continue work as an actress just on a smaller scale. So while I would have loved to see her in more high profile movie roles it is much more important that she took the time off to get well again.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Yes I read all about it and ultimately it is a story with a happy ending as she got out of it all with her sanity and her marriage intact and she was also able to continue work as an actress just on a smaller scale. So while I would have loved to see her in more high profile movie roles it is much more important that she took the time off to get well again.

Hear Hear!!

I highly recommend the warm and lovely commentary she gives on the Where the Boys Are disc to anyone who hasn't heard it. I adore her.

DarkVader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos
She divulged some time ago that it was do to an extremely dysfunctional and abusive upbringing at the hands of her father. Her sister Ann also struggled with mental issues because of it.

So glad she survived that dark period of her life. I find her delightful, even in light-hearted fluff like "Bachelor in Paradise", "The Horizontal Lieutenant" and "Follow the Boys". Her turn in "The World of Henry Orient" is one of my favorites.

I will definitely pick up "Man's Favorite Sport".

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Been married to Richard Benjamin for 61 years -- that's has got to be near a record for 2 Hollywood actors.

Couldn't be happier for 2 people who seem to be pretty nice folks.

That is indeed a Hollywood Ending!

I'm sorry this isn't about Man's Favorite Sport, but it's one of my favorite stories so I'm going to share it. Prentiss tells the story on the Where the Boys Are commentary about the London premiere of Boys in spring 1961. MGM sent the stars to stay in London for the premiere and Paula asked if she could bring her boyfriend (Richard) along with her. MGM said "no" as they thought it would look bad to have non-married actors cohabitating in a London hotel and they wouldn't allow it. As a result of that refusal, they decided to elope and went as a married couple. They used the London premiere as their free honeymoon! Sixty one years and two beautiful kids later, they're still going strong. That's a nice story.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry this isn't about Man's Favorite Sport, but it's one of my favorite stories so I'm going to share it. Prentiss tells the story on the Where the Boys Are commentary about the London premiere of Boys in spring 1961. MGM sent the stars to stay in London for the premiere and Paula asked if she could bring her boyfriend (Richard) along with her. MGM said "no" as they thought it would look bad to have non-married actors cohabitating in a London hotel and they wouldn't allow it. As a result of that refusal, they decided to elope and went as a married couple. They used the London premiere as their free honeymoon! Sixty one years and two beautiful kids later, they're still going strong. That's a nice story.
Just a minor correction. It was Bachelor In Paradise opening in London when they decided to get married, not Where The Boys Are. Boys was released in the UK in May 1961. Benjamin and Prentiss were married on October 26, 1961.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Just a minor correction. It was Bachelor In Paradise opening in London when they decided to get married, not Where The Boys Are. Boys was released in the UK in May 1961. Benjamin and Prentiss were married on October 26, 1961.

Oh that's interesting, thanks. Did I get it wrong or does Paula get it wrong on the commentary? I could have SWORN she was talking about Boys. Oh well, sorry (Bachelor is a favorite, too!) :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Oh that's interesting, thanks. Did I get it wrong or does Paula get it wrong on the commentary? I could have SWORN she was talking about Boys. Oh well, sorry (Bachelor is a favorite, too!) :)
If my memory serves me correctly, Prentiss refers to Bachelor In Paradise. In a separate unrelated interview, Benjamin also mentions Bachelor In Paradise as the movie in question.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
If my memory serves me correctly, Prentiss refers to Bachelor In Paradise. In a separate unrelated interview, Benjamin also mentions Bachelor In Paradise as the movie in question.

whoopsie!

nevermind-ignore-it.gif

It's STILL a great story, though! :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scarlett2013
Recent bookmarks