What's new

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I wonder if that’s what happened with ANNIE HALL, in which the surgically correct timing of the “thought” subtitles that made those jokes land on target for decades, was altered by enough milliseconds to compromise the perfection of an iconic scene.

Great news about the coming fix here!

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Glad to hear they did the right thing, in the mean time the ITunes version is on sale for $4.99 now.
ITunes says it is the rated R cut. Is that accurate?

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Glad to hear they did the right thing, in the mean time the ITunes version is on sale for $4.99 now.
ITunes says it is the rated R cut. Is that accurate?
That's a shame, the R-rated cut is a few minutes shorter, I believe.

The sex scenes are absolutely integral to the plot, the manner in which the characters have sex changes over the course of the film and comments on their relationship, it's why Ang Lee fought so hard to have the film released theatrically in its NC-17 form, even though that ensured that almost no US theaters played it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
KL has announced they will be correcting this disc, hooray!!

"We will create a replacement program for this in a few weeks, most likely by last week of May or first week of June. Please be patient."

Even better, they said the replacement discs will have the original Art Deco font burned-in title cards!!!!

To my knowledge, this will be the first BD in the world to have them that way, all other BDs were overseas, and had the cards in English as player-generated.

So happy to see this!
As noted, I’ve found Kino to be very transparent. They listen and react.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
As noted, I’ve found Kino to be very transparent. They listen and react.
I am, indeed, thrilled by this good news.

It seems like the situation is very different from a couple of years ago, with their releases of Bitter Moon, The Interpreter and Blackmail. In each of those cases I similarly let them know of technical flaws on discs, and their response was completely different, to say the least, and the errors were not corrected.

Again, their positive response here is to be celebrated. I just wanted to be clear, in the politest way possible, that there was a strong basis for my fear that nothing would happen.

Luckily, things seem to be very different now, and that's a great thing! :)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I didn't get to see this in a movie theatre when it was released, but I saw it on a DVD on a much smaller TV back then. Even so I thought it was a wonderful film. Sounds like a revisit is in order. So, with this problem occurring, do they recall the product they've already shipped so that if I order it somewhere I'll know I'm getting a corrected one?

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
I have had the Korean BD for years and wonder if I should even consider the Kino blu ray. The burned in titles look a lot better than the player generated subtitles. Having said that, the Korean BD comes with really solid PCM 7.1 and DTS-HD 7.1 audio tracks.

Anyone has both and has compared the visuals? I would think they will be very similar, if not identical.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I didn't get to see this in a movie theatre when it was released, but I saw it on a DVD on a much smaller TV back then. Even so I thought it was a wonderful film. Sounds like a revisit is in order. So, with this problem occurring, do they recall the product they've already shipped so that if I order it somewhere I'll know I'm getting a corrected one?
Unlikely. You'll most likely have to send your disc in to them, or at least send them a proof of purchase, and then have a corrected disc mailed to you.

The discs that are out there with retailers will likely remain defective until they all run out and more need to be pressed.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I have had the Korean BD for years and wonder if I should even consider the Kino blu ray. The burned in titles look a lot better than the player generated subtitles. Having said that, the Korean BD comes with really solid PCM 7.1 and DTS-HD 7.1 audio tracks.

Anyone has both and has compared the visuals? I would think they will be very similar, if not identical.
I have both discs, I didn't rip the video files and do frame cap comparisons, but the discs looked identical in motion to me. I'm 99.999% sure it's the same transfer.

That said, those titles are a HUGE selling point for me, I consider the Art Deco font an important part of Ang Lee's intention for the film, so once the corrected KL disc arrives, it will be my go-to disc over my Korean disc.

Waldo Lydecker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David N. Heathman
So I received my Kino BD copy of “Lust” a couple of weeks ago via Amazon Prime and still haven’t watched it yet. How do I go about switching out for the corrected disc? Amazon or Kino...???

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They haven’t announced the replacement procedure yet. Based on previous experiences, Kino will likely set up a form on their website for you to fill out with your name, address and a copy of your receipt, and they’ll then send out replacements once they’re available. It takes a little time because they’ll need to get a revised master from the studio, reauthor the disc, and then have more copies replicated.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
KL has opened their LUST, CAUTION replacement program for the defective first pressing, which was missing onscreen title cards:

https://www.kinolorber.com/lust-cauton-replacement

I'm super excited that they went back and fixed the disc, it should be a definitive release now! :)
Ah - excellent! I presume that this means one can now safely order from Kino Lorber's store and receive the corrected disc? They only ship replacement discs to the US and Canada.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
....And Kino Lorber don't ship overseas either, despite their order forms giving the appearance that they do. They cancelled my order. Obviously not worth ordering from Amazon, because of the risk of getting the first pressing.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
My corrected disc arrived today.

It shipped from Technicolor in La Vergne, Tennessee.

The disc was loose inside a cardboard envelope. Luckily it didn't get scratched up.

I'll report in after I've watched it all the way through, but I popped it in to check the title cards I posted about earlier, all are present now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks