What's new

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
The only tragic love story Paramount should be expending all this time and energy on is Zefferilli’s Romeo and Juliet IMO. That’s never even had a Blu-ray release! And such a better film IMO- a classic and Oscar winner. Do they at least include Carol Burnett’s spoof of it as an extra? Now that was hilarious w Harvey Corman as Oliver.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The only tragic love story Paramount should be expending all this time and energy on is Zefferilli’s Romeo and Juliet IMO. That’s never even had a Blu-ray release! And such a better film IMO- a classic and Oscar winner. Do they at least include Carol Burnett’s spoof of it as an extra? Now that was hilarious w Harvey Corman as Oliver.
Unfortunately, that decision has already been made as Love Story gets a second BD release on Tuesday.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Paramount has released Romeo and Juliet on Blu-ray overseas. There has been a new 4K DCP of the film created since then, so it's highly probable that it will be issued as part of the Paramount Presents line.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Paramount has released Romeo and Juliet on Blu-ray overseas. There has been a new 4K DCP of the film created since then, so it's highly probable that it will be issued as part of the Paramount Presents line.
Or, it's simply gets a BD release like Lady Sings the Blues for $17.99 MSRP.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
R & J plays best in roadshow format. And is a good candidate for 4k. Magnificently photographed.

I doubt that happens on 4K disc. Perhaps, digitally.
It certainly deserves a 4K disc- Oscar winner for both cinematography and costumes. The DVD and streaming versions available for years are extremely lacking.
BTW what was it’s roadshow format? I’m taking this to mean it was filmed and released for roadshow as it originated in a better format than the 35 it was wide released in and not just a blow up?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It certainly deserves a 4K disc- Oscar winner for both cinematography and costumes. The DVD and streaming versions available for years are extremely lacking.
BTW what was it’s roadshow format? I’m taking this to mean it was filmed and released for roadshow as it originated in a better format than the 35 it was wide released in and not just a blow up?
There was an intermission and short entr'acte.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
As it was released as a continuous run film in the US was it roadshowed in Europe? Two a day in London? It had a very long run at the still extant Paris Theater(at least I believe it is still extant. Perhaps the only original movie theater remaining in Manhattan. Goldie and Walter go to see the movie there in Cactus Flower. Paramount advertising Paramount.)
I was in the Lincoln Center Tower when Zeffirelli came into the classical dept looking for it on laser disc. I assume they sent him to the video dept/store.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Ooops I think think it was Columbia. It seemed like a Paramount adaption of a Broadway comedy of the period.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

1) Well one of my grade school teachers said it was a "dirty movie" - without splainin' why :cool:!

2) They stole the plot from West Side Story (1960) and moved it to Europe. ;)

3) In the smaller college town where I went to University. it was censored - (See number 1) :( ...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
1) Well one of my grade school teachers said it was a "dirty movie" - without splainin' why :cool:!

3) In the smaller college town where I went to University. it was censored - (See number 1) :( ...

I went to high school from 1981-85 and they showed us the Zeff "R&J" in... 11th grade?

So we weren't as prudish where I live! :D

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I went to high school from 1981-85 and they showed us the Zeff "R&J" in... 11th grade?

We did as well - actually it was Sophomore English (10th grade) - but I was living in a different city - without a "Scion of Virtue" to censor plays and films.:(

Although my Sophomore English teacher did point out that the version in our textbooks was abridged (specifically around conversation between Juliet and her nanny) but ass I recall the fillum was still a-butted ;)!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Ooops I think think it was Columbia. It seemed like a Paramount adaption of a Broadway comedy of the period.
That's because "Cactus Flower" was photographed by Charles Lang, whose lighting style epitomizes the "Paramount" look.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel

I remember my sister who’s 5 years older than me was taken in her all girls Catholic high school class by nuns to see it. No wonder they used to jack those plaid skirts up so high after school- Sacrilege!!

iTunes has upgraded “Love Story” to 4K and Dolby Vision. Current sale price: $4.99.

Attachments

• 1A5C8FC9-B2C5-4D41-932E-17A5BE9BA359.jpeg
    1A5C8FC9-B2C5-4D41-932E-17A5BE9BA359.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks