What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lonely are the Brave - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Spili

Agent
Real Name
Marco
So someone posted caps of the new Kino disc and am a bit befuddled on where this quote stems from:

Universal's gorgeous new 4k restoration on a 37 foot screen - in 4k.

Do we have a source for that anywhere? I didn't see it in their initial presser and after looking at them side by side it's clearly taken from same DVD master, though without the DNR as seen on the Koch BD released in Europe.

P.S. This isn't an attack on anyone, just a genuine/innocuous query.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So someone posted caps of the new Kino disc and am a bit befuddled on where this quote stems from:

Do we have a source for that anywhere? I didn't see it in their initial presser and after looking at them side by side it's clearly taken from same DVD master, though without the DNR as seen on the Koch BD released in Europe.

no problem rechecking sources. Visiting Mr. Tooze”s site - the two versions there, DVD and foreign release appear to have the same framing. I’ve not yet checked vs the new Blu-ray. My viewing, and I’ve made comparison errors in the past, gave me a similar feeling to what I’d seen in 4k, charcoal-like appearance and all.

That noted, a great deal can, and has occurred going from 4k data down to to 25% resolution, as the new release is HD and not 4k.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Very good find. If this is indeed going back to the same master as the Koch version then I could think of a substantial number of Universal releases that I'd like to be revisited as without the grain destruction employed for whatever Koch got it looks a lot better and I can imagine like a new master as it is a black and white movie.

First titles that come to mind are Cape Fear (1962) and Night Passage and there are many others that I avoided over the years.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Truth be told, a lot of people do like it and don't like film grain.

I have the Universal DVD and it is not a pretty sight. I was surprised to hear at DVDtalk that this KL release is a re-encode of the older scan not the more recent 4K scan but the positive comments just show what can done with a good older scan.

I'd prefer to stream this movie, can anyone comment on the best streaming source and its picture quality? I don't like DNR and waxy complexion.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I'd prefer to stream this movie, can anyone comment on the best streaming source and its picture quality? I don't like DNR and waxy complexion.

In cases where all services have the same master I found Amazon to be the best at retaining film grain with three 50s movies that I tried.
Both vudu and itunes didn't do as well.

That being said in this case it is impossible to say if any of the services has upgraded so far so you would have to find out about that.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Finally got around to watching my copy last night (Lonely Are the Brave) as was quite annoyed to see so much of it out of sync for long stretches. Then after a long period out of sync, there would be a cut and everything would be back in for awhile. So I suspect some of the dialog reels were not joined correctly. I'm surprised the sync issues weren't mentioned or noticed in the reviews.. It's at least two video frames out in places.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
The KINO Blu ray looks incredible. Absolutely incredible. and What a great film too.

now I know where Brubaker stole “you got yourself a phone call “ scene.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I've just ordered this in the October sale, it was reduced to $10, looking forward to a visual treat and hopefully the audio sync won't be too noticable.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Finally got around to watching my copy last night (Lonely Are the Brave) as was quite annoyed to see so much of it out of sync for long stretches. Then after a long period out of sync, there would be a cut and everything would be back in for awhile. So I suspect some of the dialog reels were not joined correctly. I'm surprised the sync issues weren't mentioned or noticed in the reviews.. It's at least two video frames out in places.

Was planning on purchasing Lonely are the Brave. But based upon your comments I'll hold back. And as you I have not read anywhere of the sync problems. That would drive me crazy.
That's why I haven't purchased the Kino On the Beach.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Make sure you pick up the latest restored Spartacus Blu-ray (Universal) from 2015, NOT the overly processed 50th anniversary version from 2010.

I was lucky enough to pick up the restored Spartacus steelbook at Best Buy at Xmas for $12, my first steelbook.
Gad, is the restored version 5 years-old already?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks