What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Letter from an Unknown Woman -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Max Opuls' brilliant Letter from an Unknown Woman, like most other Olive releases, deserves just a bit better treatment.

Here we have a pleasant gray scale, decent resolution, but a main title that seems to be hopping all over the screen. It needs stabilization. That would be a digital tool.

Other than that, and a bit of dirt, it's a nice looking image. On one system, it began playing out of sync, and I've not had the time to double check on another system. This may not be problem.

This is a great (and important) film.

Written by Howard Koch, who had a few decent credit under his belt, and photographed by Franz (later Frank) Planer, ditto.

Produced by John Houseman of that Welles group, later to act in films such as The Paper Chase.

You get what I'm saying.

Great people behind this. Great film.

And certainly a decent enough rendition on Blu-ray.

Buy it.

Watch it.

And there's no going back.

Check the CVs of the people mentioned above. You'll be amazed.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 3.5

Recommended.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
John Houseman was some kind of producer, but yet most people today associate him with his acting performance in Paper Chase, both the film and TV series.

Crawdaddy

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I loved this film when I saw it on TCM a few years ago.
I'll definitely be picking this up at some point.
Thanks for the review, Mr Harris!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/324542/a-few-words-about-letter-from-an-unknown-woman-in-blu-ray#post_3990296
John Houseman was some kind of producer, but yet most people today associate him with his acting performance in Paper Chase, both the film and TV series.

Crawdaddy

In the similar way that some people view the work of Norman Lloyd.

What an extraordinary career!

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
Crawdaddy
Houseman wrote a superb three volume autobiography which should be required reading for anyone who wants to know about the Mercury Theater Group and Houseman's Hollywood career. His later acting career in films like Rollerball and that famous TV series Washington Behind Closed Doors was a glass of brandy after the main meal.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'd read a rave "review" of this at one of the usual places - I'm afraid not. This is a gorgeously shot film and this transfer, while okay, does not do it justice. Mr. Harris is correct about the bob and weave in the main credits, but I was hoping for perfection here - this film is perfect and it deserves perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hon04