What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Leave Her to Heaven -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Are there no pristine 3-strip nitrate prints of this anywhere?
I'm sure the transfer wouldn't be as good as what we are going to see from Twilight (I'd imagine it'd look more like the Selznick releases from Kino,) but I hate to think the reference exists nowhere.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark Mayes said:
Are there no pristine 3-strip nitrate prints of this anywhere?
I'm sure the transfer wouldn't be as good as what we are going to see from Twilight (I'd imagine it'd look more like the Selznick releases from Kino,) but I hate to think the reference exists nowhere.
It is, what it is, thank God for technology that keeps advancing and will continue to do so as we can at least watch this great film in a video presentation that most of us will still be very satisfied with. However, the following pretty much answers your question:
Like the rest of the Fox library, all of the original elements for Leave Her to Heaven were poorly copied, and then junked in the mid-'70s.

But here's where some interesting digital technology comes in, and led by Fox's Schawn Belston, with support from The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences and The Film Foundation, the film is once again far more than viewable.
While Leave Her to Heaven looks nothing like it would have from pure three-strip Technicolor negatives or fine grains, with the work performed, we can get a very good peek inside that look, and still come away impressed.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mark Mayes said:
Are there no pristine 3-strip nitrate prints of this anywhere?I'm sure the transfer wouldn't be as good as what we are going to see from Twilight (I'd imagine it'd look more like the Selznick releases from Kino,) but I hate to think the reference exists nowhere.
Original reference, including the studio nitrate, is at UCLA.RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Harris said:
Original reference, including the studio nitrate, is at UCLA.RAH
Why can't they use that then to derive other elements from to produce a better BD, too cost prohibitive?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Crawford said:
Why can't they use that then to derive other elements from to produce a better BD, too cost prohibitive?
Partially, yes.

RAH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
As I said in the TT time thread weeks ago after seeing some of this transfer, it's really quite nice and there is detail here I've never seen before. I'd say if people sit back and relax, especially people who've really never seen a dye transfer print of the film, and just enjoy it, most people will be extremely pleased with it, as I was, and I HAVE seen a dye transfer print.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I always get Gene and Lawrence Tierney confused. And when this happens, I scratch my head wondering why people talk about him being gorgeous and whatnot.

Then I remember.

:D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bgart13 said:
I always get Gene and Lawrence Tierney confused. And when this happens, I scratch my head wondering why people talk about him being gorgeous and whatnot.

Then I remember.

:D
I always get Lawrence Tierney mixed up with Scott Brady for some strange reason. ;)

WadeM

Supporting Actor
AnthonyClarke said:
W hen you think of the tremendous films she was in, I find it astonishing that as far as the GP goes, Gene Tierney is not up there with the greats. I guess that's why she's consigned to the over-priced Twilight Time catalogue .. but I suppose we should be grateful to have her on Blu ray at all!
Can't wait for this, and for 'The Ghost and Mrs Muir'!
I love both films and eagerly await both to be mine on blu-ray!

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
The real meat and potatoes of any review is in the words used to convey the reviewer's observations; the point rating is merely a shorthand generalization. It seems to me that arguments over decimal fractions is getting into a real angels-dancing-on-heads-of-pins area.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Paul Penna said:
The real meat and potatoes of any review is in the words used to convey the reviewer's observations; the point rating is merely a shorthand generalization. It seems to me that arguments over decimal fractions is getting into a real angels-dancing-on-heads-of-pins area.
Agreed. RAH's review is how it looks and sounds vs how it could look and sound under ideal circumstances, which the circumstances surrounding Leave Her to Heaven are not. I agree completely with his review.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Lromero1396 said:
Agreed. RAH's review is how it looks and sounds vs how it could look and sound under ideal circumstances, which the circumstances surrounding Leave Her to Heaven are not. I agree completely with his review.
Actually, I had intended to make that post about point-rating in the Great Escape thread where it would have been more pertinent, but fouled that up somehow.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After viewing the BD in its entirety this morning, I declare I'm very happy with the disc presentation. I think it's about as good as it going to look on any video format. On my grading system, I would give it a 4.5 based on 5 being perfect. I very enjoyable viewing experience this morning. A great way to start off the day.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Got my shipping notice for this and "Philadelphia" from Screen Archives' website on Wednesday...I am eagerly looking forward to enjoying the charms of Ms. Tierney on my 56" Samsung DLP screen when it arrives next week!!! :cheers:

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
Watched this last night. Having screened IB prints of Leave Her To Heaven over the years, I consider RAH's grade very generous.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Thanks for the informative review; I eagerly await the delivery of the Leave Her To Heaven Blu-ray I pre-ordered.

One (slightly off-topic) question :

Have any of the Fox original three strip Technicolor negatives survive intact, or was the Fox staff very thorough?

However if any prints actually did survive the purge, have those titles made it to dvd or Blu-ray yet?

Thanks again!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Richard M S said:
Thanks for the informative review; I eagerly await the delivery of the Leave Her To Heaven Blu-ray I pre-ordered. One (slightly off-topic) question : Have any of the Fox original three strip Technicolor negatives survive intact, or was the Fox staff very thorough? However if any prints actually did survive the purge, have those titles made it to dvd or Blu-ray yet? Thanks again!
Fox did a superb job of protecting the world from nitrate. Not certain what your second question references. Prints survive on most titles, except the early safety era, which deteriorated.RAH

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Robert Harris said:
Fox did a superb job of protecting the world from nitrate. Not certain what your second question references. Prints survive on most titles, except the early safety era, which deteriorated.RAH
Were some Fox 3-strip films of the early safety era duped in the '70s? Or was that restricted to nitrate material? That is, if you are at liberty to discuss it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Lromero1396 said:
Were some Fox 3-strip films of the early safety era duped in the '70s? Or was that restricted to nitrate material? That is, if you are at liberty to discuss it.
Sorry. I'm still not understanding your question.

There was a run of dye transfer prints, i.e. final orders in the early 1970s for both acetate as well as nitrate. Afaik, Fox, under the present archival leadership, has been doing proper quality asset protection of early safety three-strips. Was that your question?

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks