What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Leatherheads -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Leatherheads is a sweet film, and viewing George Clooney's (the director) work was akin to a two hour visit to Hollywood's screwball comedy past.

The mind is constantly re-casting as if the film had been created in the late '30s or early '40s.

Clooney must be Cary Grant; Zellweger a winning combination of Rosalind Russell and Jean Arthur, although possibly not hitting either of their perfectly times comedic attributes, along with a touch of Hepburn thrown in; John Krasinski, a cross between Ralph Bellamy and James Stewart.

Leatherheads is so reminiscent of my favorite Hollywood comedy era that there was a certain comfort in convention.

A fun film, proving once again that Mr. Clooney is quite at home both before and behind the camera, and his dry wit comes to the fore throughout the commentary, usually something a bit more dry and boring.

The cinematography is likewise lovingly created, with a close-up kiss between Clooney and Zellweger possibly an homage to the production design of William Cameron Menzies in a famous shot from Gone with the Wind.

An very enjoyable two hours, presented by Universal in a stress-free Blu-ray incarnation of the original. No worries here. A great looking disc.

Recommended.

RAH

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks for the comments. I thought it was too bad that this film didn't seem to connect with audiences at the box office, but I imagine it is the type of film that will do well on disc. I had a blast watching it and found it refreshing. It isn't as good as the great screwball comedies of the past, but that is probably too high of a standard. Zellweger was the weak point for me which is just further confirmation of how great many of the comedic female leads were during Hollywood's screwball comedy past.

Really looking forward to picking this up on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks