What's new

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
After seeing Lawrence multiple times at the Ziegfeld I decided I would never see it again unless they rebuilt the Criterion Theater at 44th and 7th Av where it had its American premiere and shown it as they had opening night. You don't want to look at the Sistine Chapel on a postcard. But oh boy are you people making me want to get this. And spring for a 4k player to boot. Oy.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
As I am not interested in the box will this version of Lawrence be released by itself? Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm not managing to find it for sale.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
lawrence.jpg

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Wasn't Lawrence cut very shortly after its Criterion opening? In fact I wonder how many performances were given there before the cuts were made.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Wasn't Lawrence cut very shortly after its Criterion opening? In fact I wonder how many performances were given there before the cuts were made.

Yes, LoA was cut within a few weeks or so after it’s opening. I saw it before was cut. The first scene that I noticed missing (when I caught up with Lawrence in it’s general release)was the goggles and the Anthony Quale scene at the cathedral.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yes, LoA was cut within a few weeks or so after it’s opening. I saw it before was cut. The first scene that I noticed missing (when I caught up with Lawrence in it’s general release)was the goggles and the Anthony Quale scene at the cathedral.

I don't believe cuts were made to the prints. There weren't many of them anyway. New prints were struck in January of 1963, from the adjusted negatives and tracks, and prints were replaced - all 13 reels - as prints were turning green due to a processing problem.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I don't believe cuts were made to the prints. There weren't many of them anyway. New prints were struck in January of 1963, from the adjusted negatives and tracks, and prints were replaced - all 13 reels - as prints were turning green due to a processing problem.

That’s interesting. So the original prints were uncut? I assume that they didn’t survive and thus a search for missing scenes ensued many years later.
It was strange seeing LoA in its general release and knowing scenes were either cut out or shortened. I certainly didn’t remember all of them. And seeing the marque of the Criterion Theater brought back memories. It was a long time ago as I saw LoA in December 1962. And I recall the film opened during a newspaper strike in NYC. I also recall that the top ticket price was the unheard amount of $4.80 when the normal top was $ 3.50 for Roadshow films...only to be beaten by Cleopatra at $5.50 at the Rivoli. Crazy things one remembers.

Reactions: PMF

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The goggles hanging from that twig was an unforgettable shot that was included in the roadshow print shown in Puerto Rico in 1963.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I've seen 4 versions of LoA on the big screen. I'm sure by 1970/1971 when the shortest version was shown in theater's the goggles clip was cut. For sure the Anthony Quale scene was out of the 1963 general release . That 185 minute version was a complete disaster. And as I recall the film did not make any sense. I took my younger brother to see LoA at the Rivoli in NYC and his reaction was on the negative side to say the least.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've seen 4 versions of LoA on the big screen. I'm sure by 1970/1971 when the shortest version was shown in theater's the goggles clip was cut. For sure the Anthony Quale scene was out of the 1963 general release . That 185 minute version was a complete disaster. And as I recall the film did not make any sense. I took my younger brother to see LoA at the Rivoli in NYC and his reaction was on the negative side to say the least.

The goggles and crypt were gone in Jan ‘63 in the first cut. The 1970 cut, which was made specificaly for television, but ended up in 35mm, was oddly missing more material than its 187 minute length might suggest, as the fireside chat sequence, removed 1/63, was re-instated.

The camera negative, or what was left of it by 1970, had become a bit of a rat’s nest of incomprehensibility, as it was still being optically printed single-strand auto-select.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Also, saw 2001 at the Capitol/ Cinerama . Saw it within the first week but by that time it was already cut to it’s present form. The screen at the Capital was enormous as I recall.

I didn't see it there, but I did see it (twice) at Boston's Cinerama Theater. Each time cost me a week's salary (I had a paper route:D) to make the trip into Boston, including the ticket price ($2.00!! Highway robbery!) and snacks. If memory serves -- it was 52 years ago -- I saw it in late May or early June 1968.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
There was a period of time late 60s/early70s when popular roadshow films had major rereleases to wring more money out of them before the inevitable move to TV. Gigi, South Pacific, Ben Hur, West Side Story, Lawrence, Around the World, GWTW, Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, though it would be a few more years before some of them made it to TV. Most of them made it more or less intact. Lawrence is the only one I know of that was severely cut. These were big events because you got to see these deluxe motion pictures for free. Though not a road show film I remember seeing The Music Man for the first time on its network premiere when because of its length it was spread out over two nights. Pretty much a 2 and a half hour movie spread out to fill 4 hours. Lots of commercials and on the second night lots of clips from the first half to fill you in on what had already happened. This is when I became aware of most of these films and finally saw some of them.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There was a period of time late 60s/early70s when popular roadshow films had major rereleases to wring more money out of them before the inevitable move to TV. Gigi, South Pacific, Ben Hur, West Side Story, Lawrence, Around the World, GWTW, Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, though it would be a few more years before some of them made it to TV. Most of them made it more or less intact. Lawrence is the only one I know of that was severely cut. These were big events because you got to see these deluxe motion pictures for free. Though not a road show film I remember seeing The Music Man for the first time on its network premiere when because of its length it was spread out over two nights. Pretty much a 2 and a half hour movie spread out to fill 4 hours. Lots of commercials and on the second night lots of clips from the first half to fill you in on what had already happened. This is when I became aware of most of these films and finally saw some of them.

Spartacus was heavily cut in re-issue.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
For some reason Spartacus was off my radar. I knew of it but not much about it until its presentation at the Ziegfeld where it was tremendous. Barabbas was like that until a friend insisted I see it and I managed to catch it at a Richard Fleischer festival on a bill with the New Centurions. That was a very lucky opportunity. Now though that I think about it that was an old general release print. I wonder how that might have been pared down.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
On July 29th, I emailed my request for the replacement disc of the “Lawrence of Arabia“ supplements.

Today is September 20th, and I am here to make the cheerful report of its ultimate arrival; courtesy of FedEx.

I am posting this update for any others who may have also requested this disc; and, perhaps, might still be waiting.

BTW, my thanks to Sony/Columbia.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks