What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I agree with Mr. Crawford. I’d return the disc.

Not worth the angst.

As an aside, you might more properly refer to the gentleman as Mr. Douglas, unless you knew him well.

DukeTogo84

Grip
Real Name
Ben
I agree with Mr. Crawford. I’d return the disc.

Not worth the angst.

As an aside, you might more properly refer to the gentleman as Mr. Douglas, unless you knew him well.
I worry that if I return it I'll go through this whole process again for another defective copy as I want a copy of the film despite its flaws. I'll probably wait until I see that there is a supplier who seems to have not gotten any of the copies that are having issues.

As an aside, I also prefer to call him Kirk. If I was meeting him in person that's another story. This is just a casual conversation on the internet, so it shouldn't matter if I refer to him as Kirk.

DukeTogo84

Grip
Real Name
Ben
If it's the worst ghosting you ever seen then I would return the disc and get my money back.
I plan on returning it once I find a supplier that has verified copies that don't have the ghosting. If it takes longer than it needs to, I'll eat the cost. I prefer to still have the film in my collection for reference purposes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I plan on returning it once I find a supplier that has verified copies that don't have the ghosting. If it takes longer than it needs to, I'll eat the cost. I prefer to still have the film in my collection for reference purposes.
Good luck as I'm not sure it's a disc related issue that is going to be rectify by retailers having verified copies.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As noted, I need to go back, take another look, and possibly adjust the review.

I now have three opinions from people that I trust, that the problem does appear to be over-zealous auto clean-up, which we sometimes refer to as “fuller brush.”

On top of that, there may also be authoring problems unless they come from the frame capture software.

See what appear to be blocks below:

View attachment 100529

I ran this exact scene in frame-by-frame motion on my Panny BD player through my 65" LG OLED and saw no signs of "Double Tony".

Just saw some motion blur, but no ghosting.

Also, another reviewer said this:

"Something kicks around the 24-minute mark when Beldon and Morgan meet up the motion blur becomes unnatural looking. Simple gestures like raising a hand, pouring a drink, turning around, or pulling spent cartridges from a revolver - all look like the respective actor just entered the Speed Force for a few frames "

No sign of that on my playback either. I watched these scenes at standard speed and the blur looked fine, with no weird anomalies.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I watched the Blu-ray last night. My system is an LG Blu-ray player feeding an Optoma DLP projector to a 106" 16x9 screen.
There was one shot where I saw something when Douglas first visits Quinn's ranch. Quinn leans forward and there was motion blur for an instant. Other than that, I saw no artifacts for the entire film. Sound was in perfect sync. Nothing looked sped-up. The color, contrast, and sharpness on the the disc are outstanding.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Getting mine Today ! :D Watching this Double Feature also. ;) View attachment 100589
I watched both Westerns Back to Back. :D I :emoji_hearts: Both films. My Custom Covers !
DSC00436.JPG
DSC00437.JPG

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I ran this exact scene in frame-by-frame motion on my Panny BD player through my 65" LG OLED and saw no signs of "Double Tony".

Just saw some motion blur, but no ghosting.

Also, another reviewer said this:

"Something kicks around the 24-minute mark when Beldon and Morgan meet up the motion blur becomes unnatural looking. Simple gestures like raising a hand, pouring a drink, turning around, or pulling spent cartridges from a revolver - all look like the respective actor just entered the Speed Force for a few frames "

No sign of that on my playback either. I watched these scenes at standard speed and the blur looked fine, with no weird anomalies.
Maybe there are different pressings around - I would suggest to compare disc IDs.

Could also be an incompatibility with playback hardware being used or certain TV / projector settings related to frame interpolation that this one does not play with nicely but that seems a lot less likely.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Maybe there are different pressings around - I would suggest to compare disc IDs.

Could also be an incompatibility with playback hardware being used or certain TV / projector settings related to frame interpolation that this one does not play with nicely but that seems a lot less likely.
I noticed it on the iTunes version as well so I don't think it's a disc issue. However it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the film at all. In fact my Epson projector via Sony Blu-ray player handled it so well I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't looking for it. Any way this is night and day compared to the DVD. Way better clarity and colors look great plus I've always liked this one. Will have to check out Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Been years since I've seen it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I noticed it on the iTunes version as well so I don't think it's a disc issue. However it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the film at all. In fact my Epson projector via Sony Blu-ray player handled it so well I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't looking for it. Any way this is night and day compared to the DVD. Way better clarity and colors look great plus I've always liked this one. Will have to check out Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Been years since I've seen it.
Agreed that a bad pressing can most probably be ruled out if you also see the effect in the iTunes version.

I am wondering if some other factors like more extensive motion processing might show the issue to a bigger or lesser degree and if that explains the differences in perception.

Those caps do not look as bad as I would have expected from the description of the issue, might be easy to miss if the issue is not amplified through some other technology.

denys t.

Auditioning
Real Name
denys thériault
Glad to have GUN HILL in BR, I now hope that Paramount will someday give the same treatment to Anthony Mann's THE TIN STAR also in VistaVision.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The motion blur issues are also apparent on a recent HD TV broadcast in the UK which I have on my hard drive, so it's nothing to do with the disc. I didn't notice the effect the first time I viewed the broadcast but after reading this thread I watched it again and can see the problem clearly.

Rodney

Premium
I posted my own observation about this on the "other forum":

I have to say to my eyes it looks fine. I watched the movie last night in its entirety, and never was pulled out of the movie due to presentation issues. I then went to the scenes described earlier, and did not notice any speed up, ghosting or excessive blurring beyond the fact that the items are moving, like the bucket (not a chair) that Anthony Quinn throws at Kirk Douglas. Maybe I am just not as susceptible to these things as others, and if that is the case, then I am glad, for I did a comparison between the DVD and this blu-ray and the blu is so much better.

I have an Oppo BDP-103D and I'm using an Epson 5040UB.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I posted my own observation about this on the "other forum":

I have to say to my eyes it looks fine. I watched the movie last night in its entirety, and never was pulled out of the movie due to presentation issues. I then went to the scenes described earlier, and did not notice any speed up, ghosting or excessive blurring beyond the fact that the items are moving, like the bucket (not a chair) that Anthony Quinn throws at Kirk Douglas. Maybe I am just not as susceptible to these things as others, and if that is the case, then I am glad, for I did a comparison between the DVD and this blu-ray and the blu is so much better.

I have an Oppo BDP-103D and I'm using an Epson 5040UB.
Based upon the frame captures posted, this is an equipment issue. There may be something more in the master, but if I'm unable to capture the problem via single frames, it's more complex than the viewer's visual acuity.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A review from Highdefdigest.com that finds the image problematic:

"Contrast is on point without any blooming and a natural layer of grain creates a richly film-like presentation… up to a point.

Now, motion blur is to be expected during camera pans as someone rides across the plain and dramatic action sequences. From the lowest 8mm formats to 8K 120fps digital photography, it’s just a normal side effect of filming movement. And for the first third of the film, this appears natural without issue. But something kicks around the 24-minute mark when Beldon and Morgan meet up the motion blur becomes unnatural looking. Simple gestures like raising a hand, pouring a drink, turning around, or pulling spent cartridges from a revolver - all look like the respective actor just entered the Speed Force for a few frames. It’s this blurry herkey-jerky effect that became increasingly distracting and forces me to kick this otherwise perfect transfer down.

To make sure I wasn’t nuts, I tried this on three different setups and it was always present. Looking at the disc architecture, the film itself only runs 26.5 gigs of a BD-50 disc. As a whole, there are roughly 15 gigs and change of unused disc space that could have been used to give this transfer some more breathing room. I might be over-nitpicking this but it bugged me every time it cropped up - especially because the rest of the image is so damn beautiful. Taken as a whole, this is still miles and away better than the old DVD, but it comes with its own set of issues. Some may not be bothered by it, but I thought it was bad enough to knock a point and a half off an otherwise perfect score."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like an issue that some are more susceptible than others for bothersome sake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DK Baker
Recent bookmarks