What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Someone mentioned a discussion on the other site regarding what people are describing as sped up action during shots with quick motion, or other odd anomalies. And it seems to go beyond inter-frame motion blur.

While I don‘t have access to base files, this has been noted, and may be the affect of auto clean-up in the digital realm having its way with inter-frame movement.

A bit difficult to tell without comparisons.

Not an unusual occurrence.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Not getting my copy now from Amazon until Sunday June 20 ! :( USPS has Lost my original order. Imagine that. :confused::rolleyes::angry: Should of had it Today. I can't wait to see this New Transfer.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Seems I’m the only one who doesn’t feel this holds up.

Fans will love the presentation.
I’m with you Robert on this film. I think the two leads are wonderful actors, but the story is mediocre at best. Lonely Are The Brave was only 3 short years away…Kirk’s absolute masterpiece of a western!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I’m with you Robert on this film. I think the two leads are wonderful actors, but the story is mediocre at best. Lonely Are The Brave was only 3 short years away…Kirk’s absolute masterpiece of a western!
Lonely Are the Brave is a great western and it deserves to look better than it currently does on Blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I'm not with you regarding the story being mediocre at best. I do agree with you about "Lonely are the Brave" as I will be watching it once again in the near future because it's also part of my "all-time favorite 100 westerns" list.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Lonely Are the Brave is a great western and it deserves to look better than it currently does on Blu-ray.
Perhaps, but I have this on Blu-ray from Koch and Kino as well as on iTunes HD digital and I think it looks fine.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Received my blu ray today (thanks to great service from importCDs) and had to watch it straightaway. Although Gunfight at the O.K. Corral is the superior film, this is another excellent VistaVision transfer. Good as Kirk and the others are, Carolyn Jones gives the stand out performance for me.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to seeing this one for the 1st time. Big Kirk Douglas fan so not sure why I haven't seen this one or There was a crooked man or Lonely are the Brave. I think I always confused this movie with Lonely are the Brave and since I am not a fan of modern day or post 1910 westerns that's probably the reason why I always passed on this one. But I am sure I will like all 3 when I finally watch them.

DukeTogo84

Agent
Real Name
Ben
So this release has severe ghosting/interlacing issues that become apparent after the 30 minute mark and gets progressively worse as the film goes on. While the film looks great when there is no or little motion, once things pick up the ghosting becomes very apparent. Seems to have been an authoring issue, and wonder if there is a way of contacting Paramount about this?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So this release has severe ghosting/interlacing issues that become apparent after the 30 minute mark and gets progressively worse as the film goes on. While the film looks great when there is no or little motion, once things pick up the ghosting becomes very apparent. Seems to have been an authoring issue, and wonder if there is a way of contacting Paramount about this?
That’s not what I’m seeing.

I don’t dispute an issue of some sort. I ran sequences from two players, frame by frame, and noted “something,” which is not extremely obvious in motion.

Cannot imagine how interlacing might be introduced.

Possibly some clean-up artifacts, or VVLA frame to frame horizontal anomolies. One can see that in Music Man, which is also horizontal.

Authoring? Anything is possible, but where is QC?

Last edited:

DukeTogo84

Agent
Real Name
Ben
I didn't see any image problems (viewed on Panny OLED), although a couple of exterior shots looked a little soft as if they were stock (the train).
Another forum has posted screen caps of the issue. I was the first to point it out there before someone else posted the grabs. It's a major issue. Starts at around 30 minutes in when Anthony Quinn sits down. The worst is when Anthony Quinn throws the chair at Kirk Douglas around the 1 hour and 14 minute ark.

DukeTogo84

Agent
Real Name
Ben
Here is an example:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.10.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.10.07 PM.png
    629.5 KB · Views: 83

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I paused the iTunes version and that artifact is also present, so it's not something in the Blu-ray's creation. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when I watched it over the weekend, however. The movie looked very good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I paused the iTunes version and that artifact is also present, so it's not something in the Blu-ray's creation. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when I watched it over the weekend, however. The movie looked very good.
I just played back that iTunes stream several times, at that particular scene and the one in which Quinn throws the bucket at Douglas in his hotel room at about the 1 hour and 14 minute mark, and hardly noticed it even then though I was intently looking for it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Here is an example:
Not a clue. Almost looks like someone messed up and somehow hit some sort of interlace flag. Could also be an oddity of high level automated clean-up, which this film should not have needed.

VVLA, unlike TLA productions, generally only saw a printer less than a dozen times. Dirt should not have been a problem.

when I have some time, I’ll check out the posted frame, and see if I repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks