What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm not liking the trend of films feeling like Marvel/DC worlds and sharing too similar style of filmmaking. :huh:
While I don't disagree with your thesis, I would say this is not new to film making The Road pictures of Hope & what's his name for example...

Only before, there were different kinds of films released with a different expectation of Return on Investment. The the expectation now is so much greater that "go with what they know" means there's little variety in what the corporation release. Luckily some studios still try to put out award show bait films.

The studio that consistently through the years was taking chances on films was FOX ...

Kent K H

Second Unit
While I don't disagree with your thesis, I would say this is not new to film making The Road pictures of Hope & what's his name for example...

Only before, there were different kinds of films released with a different expectation of Return on Investment. The the expectation now is so much greater that "go with what they know" means there's little variety in what the corporation release. Luckily some studios still try to put out award show bait films.

The studio that consistently through the years was taking chances on films was FOX ...

Classic Film Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I think they're supposed to be equivalent, both are the top tier of each company's product.

DTS has a long history with the Jurassic franchise:

I recall the local theater here upgrading to DTS sound specifically for the opening of Jurassic Park in 1993.
Back in the Day, with the film release of the original "Jurassic Park," the theatres playing it in DTS digital sound, played the soundtrack on a digital disc which was in sync with the film, since there was a timecode printed on the film, thus allowing synchronization. I always felt that this early DTS sounded a bit harsh when compared to the Dolby Digital track.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I just received my new BD copy of "Jurassic World: Dominion" and was wondering about the extended version of the movie. Should I watch it first? And, what does the extended version add?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Back in the Day, with the film release of the original "Jurassic Park," the theatres playing it in DTS digital sound, played the soundtrack on a digital disc which was in sync with the film, since there was a timecode printed on the film, thus allowing synchronization. I always felt that this early DTS sounded a bit harsh when compared to the Dolby Digital track.
The DTS "mix" (and it really is more of a mastering of the 6-track analog source in this case than a mix) is older. There was no Dolby Digital track in 1993.

sbjork

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
The DTS "mix" (and it really is more of a mastering of the 6-track analog source in this case than a mix) is older. There was no Dolby Digital track in 1993.
There wasn't even an AC-3 track on the laserdisc for it. Just LPCM on the primary release with regular analogue tracks, and a separate DTS laserdisc. It was only DTS or Dolby Stereo back then, regardless of whether you saw it in the theatres or at home.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
There wasn't even an AC-3 track on the laserdisc for it. Just LPCM on the primary release with regular analogue tracks, and a separate DTS laserdisc. It was only DTS or Dolby Stereo back then, regardless of whether you saw it in the theatres or at home.
Records at lddb.com say there was an AC-3 laserdisc in October of 1997. Approximately 9 months after the initial DTS one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chantalc
Recent bookmarks