What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Julia -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fred Zinnemann was one of the great filmmakers of his time -- c. 1930 - 1980. Over half a century.

It's been said, and it's almost true, that some people would watch a favored actor read the phone book.

I feel that way about probably half a dozen filmmakers working the same era as Mr. Zinnemann.

Julia, which he directed in 1977, and which stars Jane Fonda and Vanessa Redgrave, along with Jason Robards and Maximilian Schell, is based upon the life of Lillian Hellman, and her memoir Pentimento.

Sort of.

Or is it?

The screenplay was written by Alvin Sargent, and if you're unfamiliar with his work, best to look him up. It will be worth your time.

The film is best discussed here: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/julia-1977 by Roger Ebert, it almost isn't about either of the lead characters, which sends it slightly off-kilter in terms of story-telling.

So what we have, is a interesting, imperfect film, by one of the great filmmakers.

And that for me, is worth the price of admission.

As a Blu-ray, Twilight Time's release is a stellar affair, with the master coming from Fox. Everything about it hits all the right notes, which is extremely important, as it was photographed by the great Douglas Slocombe, who we just lost in February, at the age of 103!

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I saw this film when it first came out and I haven't seen it since even though I enjoyed the film enormously.
I fully agree about Fred Zinnemann, and isn't it about time The Day Of The Jackal came out on Blu-ray disc too?

I'm delighted this disc is so good because I'm buying it!

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I think this is the film Vanessa Redgrave won the Oscar for best supporting actress and on her Oscar speech made that "Zionist Hoodlums" remark.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Yes, both Vanessa Redgrave and Jason Robards Jr. were Oscared in the supporting actor categories and the screenplay (adaptation) won as well for "Julia". 1977 was a spectacular year for 20th Century-Fox. This film (10 nominations), "The Turning Point" (11 nominations) and "Star Wars" (10 nominations) netted the lion's share of nominations that year even though "Annie Hall" (Picture), "Dianne Keaton" (Best Actress) and "Woody Allen" (Director and Screenplay) won four big awards for that film, along with Richard Dreyfuss ("The Goodbye Girl") for Best Actor. "Star Wars collected 6 Oscars in the technical categories plus a special one for Benjamin Burtt. "The Turning Point" was shut out.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
So what we have, is a interesting, imperfect film, by one of the great filmmakers.
And that for me, is worth the price of admission.

It was.
In 1977.

And it will be, again.
In 2016.

A beautifully shot film.
It's been a long time coming for this BD.
Thankfully, both the Master and TT delivers "Julia" back to its rightful 5/5 status.
A searching and poetic film; both cerebral and spiritual.

Now, if only we could get a BD of Zinnemann's "A Nun's Story";
or even a proper "High Noon".

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wanted to check in to read other comments and noticed, unfortunately, that I was the last Post...from nearly 30 days, ago.
I am surprised that there are no conversations about "Julia".
Is this a sign that the film was of no interest?
Hard to imagine.
It's truly worth seeing.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this splendid Blu-ray disc again last night. I noticed that, like The Day Of The Jackal, much of the film is very tightly cut. Mr. Zinnemann and his editor judged perfectly which sequences should have a leisurely pace and which sequences should develop briskly.

Even more than Julia's core narrative, the atmosphere created by the film makers is what holds the attention - or, at least, my attention.

A wonderful film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks