What's new

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
It's not a full John Hughes film (he co-produced, but that's all — it was written and directed by Chris Columbus), but one of my most wanted blus is Only the Lonely, the picture that showed me how good an actor John Candy really was. The supporting cast includes Maureen O'Hara, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Quinn and Jim Belushi. However, it was a Fox DVD, which means Disney, which means I can probably forget about it.

Been on my wishlist forever! Maybe Criterion can snatch it up? Have they struck any new deals with Fox since the acquisition?

Probably doesn’t help that it isn’t held in that high regard by audiences and critics, which I’ve never understood.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Good movie that I'm surprised isn't more popular. Wasn't the DVD an Anchor Bay release? They got their hands on some Fox titles as well.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Been on my wishlist forever! Maybe Criterion can snatch it up? Have they struck any new deals with Fox since the acquisition?

Zero chance Criterion decides to release a movie that got mediocre reviews and did little business and seems to have a very low profile 30 years after its release.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Zero chance Criterion decides to release a movie that got mediocre reviews and did little business and seems to have a very low profile 30 years after its release.
That's never stopped them in the past. See the John Waters and Paul Morrissey titles, for starters.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That's never stopped them in the past. See the John Waters and Paul Morrissey titles, for starters.

But those had cult followings. "Only the Lonely" is a movie that didn't have much of an audience in 1991 and AFAIK hasn't amassed one since then.

"Lonely" doesn't even get viewed as part of the "traditional" Hughes filmography, as he neither wrote nor directed it.

I stand by my comment: zero chance Criterion releases it.

You could hope for Arrow or Shout, I guess...

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Can you say "Heaven's Gate"? That film was condemned by almost every critic that saw it (Roger Ebert gave it a "Golden Turkey" Award), drew almost no moviegoers and lost so much money that it bankrupted the studio (United Artists) that released it, and yet there's that Criterion release. BTW, I don't see Criterion releasing OTL either, because it's just not their type of picture. However, I'd think someone would take the release based on the cast alone. I mean, if "Hallelujah Trail" can get a release.... But like I said, it was a Fox release, and Fox means Disney, so probably forget it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Can you say "Heaven's Gate"? That film was condemned by almost every critic that saw it (Roger Ebert gave it a "Golden Turkey" Award), drew almost no moviegoers and lost so much money that it bankrupted the studio (United Artists) that released it, and yet there's that Criterion release.

But "Heaven's Gate" was a notorious flop from an Oscar-winning director, and that meant people remembered it and it owned its own legend.

Also - and more importantly - "Gate" has gotten a critical reappraisal over the last 40 years that's earned it a much stronger reputation.

"Only the Lonely" is a movie that got meh reviews, made no money and was forgotten by most people about 3 months after it hit screens.

"Gate" is an important piece of film history, partly because of the issues it encountered 40 years ago.

"Lonely" is just another largely forgotten comedy...

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I’ve watched 4 of the 5 Blu-ray’s with only Some Kind of Wonderful left which I read is Hughes rewrite of Pretty In Pink. Of the 4 films viewed so far, She’s Having a Baby is the best IMO. Your mileage may vary. 😷

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I’ve watched 4 of the 5 Blu-ray’s with only Some Kind of Wonderful left which I read is Hughes rewrite of Pretty In Pink. Of the 4 films viewed so far, She’s Having a Baby is the best IMO. Your mileage may vary. 😷

Since I think "Baby" is easily the worst of those films... it does! ;)

"SKoW" does rewrite "PiP" but it's still a much more satisfying movie.

My ranking:

1) SKoW
2) PTAA
3) FBDO
4) PiP
5) SHaB

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hadn't seen Some Kind Of Wonderful and She's Having A Baby probably since they were first on cable and I really liked both of them. The others I had seen periodically over the years. Maybe it's just because it was 'new' to me but Some Kind Of Wonderful was probably my favorite movie in the set.
I love Ferris, but Some Kind of Wonderful has always been a personal favorite of mine. I'm a big Masterson fan and always had an affinity for that other young actress with those great dimples. Furthermore, I found the relationship between Keith and Duncan quite funny along with the rest of their detention mates.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I love Ferris, but Some Kind of Wonderful has always been a personal favorite of mine. I'm a big Masterson fan and always had an affinity for that other young actress with those great dimples. Furthermore, I found the relationship between Keith and Duncan quite funny along with the rest of their detention mates.

Elias Koteas was good in the role, but the guy was waaaay too old!

Or he looked it, at least. He, Thompson and Stoltz are the same age, but Koteas was already going bald, and his skinhead look didn't hide that.

Guy was 26 going on 40! :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Elias Koteas was good in the role, but the guy was waaaay too old!

Or he looked it, at least. He, Thompson and Stoltz are the same age, but Koteas was already going bald, and his skinhead look didn't hide that.

Guy was 26 going on 40! :D
You're right but I think every high school has a couple of guys who look like they're in their late 20's.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You're right but I think every high school has a couple of guys who look like they're in their late 20's.

Possibly -- at my HS it was Mr Marino -- assistant football coach, 2nd Assistant Principal, and rumor had it was 'connected' to the local branch of Import/Export. Yearbook say he spent 7 years at the Fr/So level before being promoted to the Adminstration job and none of the teachers would say exactly when he graduated. Most of the teachers called him Mr Marino and addressed him as sir even when he wasn't around

Last edited:

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I'm waiting for the Criterion release of Planes, Trains, & Automobiles.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Possibly -- at my HS it was Mr Marino -- assistant football coach, 2nd Assistant Principal, and rumor had it was 'connected' to the local branch of Import/Export. Yearbook say he spent 7 years at the Fr/So level before being promoted to the Adminstration job and none of the teachers would say exactly when he graduated. Most of the teachers called him Mr Marino and addressed him as sir even when he wasn't around
I remember a dude in some of my classes in high school that had a full beard at 17. Not some crappy teenage beard where it's mostly sideburns, unkempt hair on his neck, and some scraps on his cheeks but a better beard than I can grow today. :laugh:

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
We finished the set watching Some Kind of Wonderful which is a full on rewrite of Pretty In Pink with the original Pink ending. Still, for me and my mate, She’s Having a Baby was our favorite of the five.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So far, the following are getting BD Steelbook releases in June:

• Pretty in Pink
  • Ferris Bueller's Day Off
  • Some Kind of Wonderful

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So far, the following are getting BD Steelbook releases in June:

• Pretty in Pink
  • Ferris Bueller's Day Off
  • Some Kind of Wonderful
It doesn't have the same fan base that Ferris Bueller or even Pretty In Pink has but you'd think that She's Having A Baby would be released on its own (even in just a standard case) simply so it had a solo release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks