What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Jet Pilot – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
No doubt about it.

Jet Pilot is an odd film.

Produced by Howard Hughes.

Directed by Josef Von Sternberg, toward the end of an extraordinary career that peaked in the 1930s, and photographed by the great Winton Hoch.

It was shot over a two month period from December 1949 into early February of 1950.

And then there's the release.

1957. After Hughes had sold RKO, for which it was produced. With distribution by Universal-International.

With all that intrigue, one might hope for a good film, but one's hopes would be dashed. Even under the direction of a true talent, there's little here.

As to the new Blu-ray from Kino, I had hoped that for the talent of Mr. Hoch alone, we'd have something new.

We don't.

It's an old transfer, with the film offered in both 1.37 and 1.85. The 1.37 is correct, and the 1.85 points up all of the problems with the transfer.

Heavy, improper grain structure; slightly blown-out highlights.

It's certainly an interesting film to discuss, especially as Sternberg's penultimate film.

Image – 3.25

Audio – 4

Pass / Fail – Pass

RAH

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor
Sorry to hear that your review of the transfer of this fun film is not higher Robert. This was / is my most anticipated release of the year, and was hoping that the 1-1:37 ratio release would be graded a 5. Whatever the case, it’ll certainly be better than watching the LD, which has been my only option for this film over the last 25 years.

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor
Just finished watching this. Thanks Kino, the film has never looked so good before on home video! Especially love seeing the uncropped full screen version. The image is so clear, that I just noticed for the first time that Denver Pyle has a small bit part in the film(!). And I’m guessing I’ve watched this film at least 2 dozen times over the last 25 years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Just finished watching this. Thanks Kino, the film has never looked so good before on home video! Especially love seeing the uncropped full screen version. The image is so clear, that I just noticed for the first time that Denver Pyle has a small bit part in the film(!). And I’m guessing I’ve watched this film at least 2 dozen times over the last 25 years.
Just got finished watching the Blu-ray in 1.37 aspect ratio and agree with your assessment. My video presentation grade is more like 4 out of 5. With that said, it's still a bad movie and one of my least favorite Wayne movies. The flying sequences and looking at Janet Leigh in Technicolor is its saving grace for me.

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor
Just got finished watching the Blu-ray in 1.37 aspect ratio and agree with your assessment. My video presentation grade is more like 4 out of 5. With that said, it's still a bad movie and one of my least favorite Wayne movies. The flying sequences and looking at Janet Leigh in Technicolor is its saving grace for me.
Yes, Janet Leigh was quite the beauty. I agree, your eyes always tend to wander towards her when she is on the screen.

I’ve always looked at this film as a comedy and nothing more. Place Bob Hope in Duke’s role, and it most likely isn’t thought about with such low regard. But I think Duke shines at this, his real first real stab at comedy. His back-and-forth conversations with Paul Fix never fail to make me chuckle.

As I mentioned, everyone has their own opinions of what is enjoyable to watch, and what’s not. This film has been a favorite of mine, ever since I first saw it. And I’m so happy Kino has brought back the original framing aspect of the movie to high def!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Yes, Janet Leigh was quite the beauty. I agree, your eyes always tend to wander towards her when she is on the screen.

DVDBeaver review

1639699235586.png

1639699300322.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracer Metula
Recent bookmarks