What's new

Flemming Kristensen

Auditioning
I've been waiting years for this. Even longer for The Three Musketeers from 1948. When will that ever see a restoration?

I have been waiting for more than 10 years and wrote this 11 days ago. And today I see this to be released February 2022.

What a double feature. Ivanhoe and Three Musketeers. Now I just need Crimson Pirate and Scaramouche.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2021-12-31 153443.png
    Skærmbillede 2021-12-31 153443.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 4

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
We celebrated New Year's Eve with another couple. Our theme was 'A Knight to Remember" and after our Medieval dinner served with mead we proceeded to the home theater and its 110" screen to watch two Academy Award-winning cartoons, 'The Two Musketeers' starring Tom & Jerry and 'Knighty Knight Bugs' with Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam. We followed that with 'The Stolen Sword,' Chapter One of the 1949 serial 'The Adventures of Sir Galahad' starring George Reeves. Our main feature of the night was the newly restored 'Ivanhoe' starring Robert Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor and Joan Fontaine. The show ended at midnight as the neighborhood resounded with fireworks!

Attachments

• Ivanhoe 1952 (2).jpg
    Ivanhoe 1952 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • The Two Musketeers (2).jpg
    The Two Musketeers (2).jpg
    152 KB · Views: 11
  • Knighty Knight Bugs (2).jpg
    Knighty Knight Bugs (2).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • The Adventures of Sir Galahad (2).jpg
    The Adventures of Sir Galahad (2).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I have been waiting for more than 10 years and wrote this 11 days ago. And today I see this to be released February 2022.

What a double feature. Ivanhoe and Three Musketeers. Now I just need Crimson Pirate and Scaramouche.
I would like to see Bluray releases of ...Knights of the Round Table and Quentin Durward. Both with Robert Taylor.
aaaaaa Knights of the Round Table (1953) 3.jpg
aaaaa quentin.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
We celebrated New Year's Eve with another couple. Our theme was 'A Knight to Remember" and after our Medieval dinner served with mead we proceeded to the home theater and its 110" screen to watch two Academy Award-winning cartoons, 'The Two Musketeers' starring Tom & Jerry and 'Knighty Knight Bugs' with Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam. We followed that with 'The Stolen Sword,' Chapter One of the 1949 serial 'The Adventures of Sir Galahad' starring George Reeves. Our main feature of the night was the newly restored 'Ivanhoe' starring Robert Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor and Joan Fontaine. The show ended at midnight as the neighborhood resounded with fireworks!
first of all, the Main feature is Perfection, now on to one very specific bonus feature, was there ever a reason given as to why the first 1:13 of The Two Mouseketeers was presented window boxed? It's a gorgeous print, I was just wondering if anything was said about it. The Two Mouseketeers won the series' sixth Oscar for Best Animated Short Film, and lead to three more Mouseketeers shorts: Touché, Pussycat! (1954), Tom and Chérie (1955) and Royal Cat Nap (1958). That was one of the reasons for my question.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
We watched Ivanhoe last night. It's such a fun movie but I hesitated on picking up the blu-ray since I was so familiar with the film from multiple viewings over the years. I'm very glad I finally got it. This release looks great!
Yep! I was always pleased with the DVD but this Blu-ray disc is in a different league.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched this last night and thought it looked spectacular. I love all that old style vibrant color. I guess I’m spoiled by it because I think it’s something movies need more of.

The movie reminds me of the Adventures of Robin Hood from 1938, and in fact, the novel uses Robin Hood more explicitly (Friar Tuck too). I found Ivanhoe to be an absolutely worthy companion to that film.

Was this a hit in its day? I gather critical reception was good (it was nominated for Best Picture) but did audiences show up?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I watched this last night and thought it looked spectacular. I love all that old style vibrant color. I guess I’m spoiled by it because I think it’s something movies need more of.

The movie reminds me of the Adventures of Robin Hood from 1938, and in fact, the novel uses Robin Hood more explicitly (Friar Tuck too). I found Ivanhoe to be an absolutely worthy companion to that film.

Was this a hit in its day? I gather critical reception was good (it was nominated for Best Picture) but did audiences show up?

I’m pretty sure I’ve read that the film was MGM’s biggest hit of 1952, so yeah, I think audiences showed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliwilliams12
Recent bookmarks