What's new

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
It's an Amazon Prime Rewards credit card issued by Chase. Every purchase at Amazon gets you 5% bonus points which can be spent at Amazon. I currently have 2,290 points which translates to $22.90.
I have the Amazon Store Card and I get points ='ing dollars off just got $4.40 off an order that was the amount I had on my Amazon Store Card. Same amount rebate 5 percent bonus on the store card

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
here are some screen shots I took a few days ago of this amazing classic - they did a superb job on this!!

Attachments

• IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 71

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Really, I didn't see you in my house, so....
If these images are accurate to your panel, and you have a desire to see things properly, the setting should not be set to Vivid.

Vivid may work nicely for some football games, and imagery of clown fish swimming in coral - big box store fodder - but not for cinema.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
here are some screen shots I took a few days ago of this amazing classic - they did a superb job on this!!
I think I would rather give up HT completely than watch anything on the display used for these photographs.:excl:

This is what the court scene that is actually encoded on the BD disc untouched by any processing whatsoever actually looks like:

Ivanhoe2.jpg
NOT THIS!!!!!

Ivanhoe_ugh.jpg

You can draw your own conclusions.......

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I think I would rather give up HT completely than watch anything on the display used for these photographs.:excl:

This is what the court scene that is actually encoded on the BD disc untouched by any processing whatsoever actually looks like:

View attachment 122580 NOT THIS!!!!!

View attachment 122581

You can draw your own conclusions.......
what an asshat!!!!! You need to get a life!!! Being new to this the frames were not paused nor were they "adjusted" as you suggest...keep it civil and just a bit less confrontational.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let me intercede here as calling another HTF member an "asshat" is against our forum guidelines. We don't allow personal attacks!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was not the original aggressor here, nor was I out of line
You were out of line! Also, that poster was correct in pointing out that screen shot not being correctly displayed. Furthermore, arguing with a moderator is another forum infraction. You should read our forum guidelines again.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
what an asshat!!!!! You need to get a life!!! Being new to this the frames were not paused nor were they "adjusted" as you suggest...keep it civil and just a bit less confrontational.
Edited: Add reference to calibration disc.

I'll ignore the hostility here.
I have a life, and as a former projectionist (for 30+ years) and current video fanatic, it offends me to see an excellent BD that will never look better represented as it was in those photos.

I never suggested you actually did the adjustment, but I assure you that the image was adjusted. It was done by your Samsung Display.

Since you are new to this, I suggest you perform a proper calibration for your display. Looking at those photos, (you don't say what you used for these shots) the whites are totally blown out, white balance is off, chroma levels are way too high, etc.

The image I posted from Ivanhoe was a direct capture of a frame on the BD taken by JRiver Media Center. No camera involved.

As an example of an actual screen shot, this frame wasn't paused, and it was taken of an UHD BD (4K) with a Pixel2 off of a 53" x 144" curved screen using a JVC RS57 projector in my HT.

PXL_20211022_190031202.jpg

Anyhow, the important thing is to get your monitor adjusted to actually present the contents of the source.

Since that looks like a Samsung monitor, you could start by setting it to "Movie" mode. From there on this will help you view the best results:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-calibrate-a-samsung-hdtv

I use a curved 55" 4K Samsung as the monitor for my office PC that I am sitting at to compose this, so I know it's capabilities when properly calibrated.

After the rough calibration outlined above, you will need to proceed to the next step:

Buy a calibration disc like the Spears & Munsil Benchmark Calibration Disc V2. It contains the test patterns and instructions to actually fine tune your settings.

Once you complete this process, you will be seeing the image that was intended by the the authoring / encoding team that created the disc.

Good luck with the calibration.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
You were out of line! Also, that poster was correct in pointing out that screen shot not being correctly displayed. Furthermore, arguing with a moderator is another forum infraction. You should read our forum guidelines again.
I appoligize for my outburst, the spirit of my adding the screen shots, however amaturish, was done out of my joy of seeing this classic in full HD for the first time. I wish to point out that coming back with non constructive coments aimed to injure and not realy instruct, shows niether respect nor humiity...a quality sorly lacking in this world. Again I do apologize -

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Now its time to move on.

Let's move forward with the discussion on Ivanhoe but leave behind any personal remarks directed at other members here.

And anyone who might continue to publicly question moderator's actions risks suspension or banning.

Enough is enough.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Just watched IVANHOE. Of the many Technicolor restorations on Warner Archive this year this one may be the most beautiful---the close ups of Elizabeth Taylor are real showstoppers. Glad George Feltenstein is back with the company. And by the way---why hasn't he been given an academy award for all his work over the years---or indeed Robert Harris? Both have done so much to restore films and make them available to the public.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just watched IVANHOE. Of the many Technicolor restorations on Warner Archive this year this one may be the most beautiful---the close ups of Elizabeth Taylor are real showstoppers. Glad George Feltenstein is back with the company. And by the way---why hasn't he been given an academy award for all his work over the years---or indeed Robert Harris? Both have done so much to restore films and make them available to the public.

You can thank Freddie Young for those close-ups.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
You can thank Freddie Young for those close-ups.
Indeed. Several months ago, long before this Blu-ray disc was announced, I posted in another thread:

In truth I'd love a Warner Archive Blu-ray disc of Ivanhoe: Elizabeth Taylor via Freddie Young!!!

I had no idea this Blu-ray disc was coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks