What's new

Capt Cheese Pro

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Very illuminating statement that guy makes: "These are only here to give an idea of the movie’s video quality and may not be truly representative of it." Or I guess in other words, you'll get an idea but it might not be the right one.
well most films of the period had a kind of aoura or filterd look to them. But, we've seen wonderful examples of working with the best original film and audio elements can bring!!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Glad RAH mentioned "Knights of the Round Table" which was also
beautifully shot by Freddie Young. As the first MGM Cinemascope offering it should be available in the best possible image and sound, as has been done with "The Robe" which was Fox's Cinemascope kick off. Plus we have a fantastic score by Miklos Rozsa, this time in stereo, which sounds great on the DVD but would be even better on a blu ray. I saw it on a big screen when it first came out and again at LACMA about 20 years ago and it has an impact in large format that was lost when chopped to 4.3 for old TV showings. Now that we have gone wide from that at home lets go WA. "The lists are open, who will tumble in the first?"
Those old TV showings may have shown the flat version which was shot simultaneously with the CinemaScope version. I'd like to see that as an extra on a Blu-ray.

70 Millman

Agent
Real Name
John
Went to see it at a London suburb cinema in 1969 and it was the flat version you mentioned. I was disappointed at first but soon shook that off and got into it anyway. The thing about 4.3 on T.V is your eyes don't move much laterally while watching. With Cinemascope on a big screen they move left and right much more and even your head moves at times. Thus the visceral impact factor increases. The subjective experience expands to match the image.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Searching Amazon for "Ivanhoe blu-ray" brings up everything but this movie. I had to click on the link from the Warner Archive email to find it. Why is it so hard to even find anything on Amazon? Had the same problem yesterday with Foul Play, which I would not have found but for the HTF link.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Amazon tell me IVANHOE will be delivered on December 24. They may think they are doing me a favour by delivering on Christmas Eve but it's actually the worst possible date for me because I'll be away over the Christmas period. I hope they don't leave it outside on the doorstep for anyone to take!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Amazon tell me IVANHOE will be delivered on December 24. They may think they are doing me a favour by delivering on Christmas Eve but it's actually the worst possible date for me because I'll be away over the Christmas period. I hope they don't leave it outside on the doorstep for anyone to take!
Yeah mine says arriving the 22nd. I live near two distribution centers so when they ship I always get the order fast but for some reason they always hold onto my orders for awhile before shipping them, I guess because I don't have Prime. Angels with Dirty Faces didn't ship until Saturday but I received it Sunday.

RobertMG

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Yeah mine says arriving the 22nd. I live near two distribution centers so when they ship I always get the order fast but for some reason they always hold onto my orders for awhile before shipping them, I guess because I don't have Prime. Angels with Dirty Faces didn't ship until Saturday but I received it Sunday.
My Ivanhoe shipped today and will be here tomorrow! LI!

RobertMG

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Mine Too !!! And for Free ! because of Reward Points. :D Got Angels WDF last week Free also. :D :banana:
GREAT - Really looking forward on Ivanhoe! Was AWDF worth the upgrade I have the dvd set do not know if worth the double dip? Off topic do have the blu ray on White Christmas?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
GREAT - Really looking forward on Ivanhoe! Was AWDF worth the upgrade I have the dvd set do not know if worth the double dip? Off topic do have the blu ray on White Christmas?
There is no comparison between the DVD and Blu-ray of Angels with Dirty Faces. It’s like watching it for the very first time.

RobertMG

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I have it. It’s great!
Thanks to u and Mr. C! On White Christmas I had posted last week shocked I did not see AMC scheduling it - well it's on all next week - at the weirdest hours though - on White Christmas I see two different Blu Ray covers are they both the same disc I wonder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fadilale
Recent bookmarks