What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Invasion of the Body Snatchers -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/322359/a-few-words-about-invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-in-blu-ray#post_3950532
That's going to be the story with most of these Republic Olive releases. While far from benchmark quality most of the time, so many of the earlier DVDs were so poor that the Olive release (including their DVD) will look that much better in comparison.

I certainly wouldn't complain, i am happy with Vera Cruz not being tinkered with, by that i mean de-graining and sharpening which is routine for some studio's, ( here's looking at you Universal ) i want the original filmed look and if it happens to be ugly as hell then so be it.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm willing to accept the picture quality for what it is, in consideration of the existing elements.
What I AM disappointed about is the omission of the original Perspecta stereo sound. The audio elements exist and have been restored. It would have been nice to finally hear it the way audiences heard it in theaters when first released.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
I'm willing to accept the picture quality for what it is, in consideration of the existing elements.
What I AM disappointed about is the omission of the original Perspecta stereo sound. The audio elements exist and have been restored. It would have been nice to finally hear it the way audiences heard it in theaters when first released.
Why go through the work and time to restore the Perspecta sound and not have it on the Blu-ray?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/322359/a-few-words-about-invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-in-blu-ray#post_3950541

To Catch A Thief also used this mono directional sound system, does that Blu ray have it. ?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
FoxyMulder said:
To Catch A Thief also used this mono directional sound system, does that Blu ray have it. ?
It has a stereo track but the reviews don't mention it being highly directional.

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Robert Harris said:
What a[n] extraordinary film!
No doubt about it.  A classic.
I'll ask the age old question
Where is the original 1.37 negative?  Gone?
RAH
RolandL said:
I thought I read somewhere that the negative is lost.
This post by Jo Hud states the negative is lost (I can't find a source from Olive's site, just other posts on other sites with the same quotation attributed to Olive):
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/320319/olive-announced-first-titles-from-the-republic-catalog-high-noon-and-the-original-invasion-of-the-body-snatchers/30#post_3920550
BOTH FILMS WERE RESTORED OF A FINEGRAIN 35MM PRINT – NOT THE ORIGINAL NEGATIVE
The original negative for INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS does not exist and is considered lost.
The HIGH NOON negative does exist – But this restoration was done off a FINEGRAIN.
This should actually be a cause of relief. It specifies "Restored of a Finegrain 35mm print" -- far more reassuring than releases like The Quiet Man or Rio Grande. Those releases never promised anything more than being "digitally remastered." What it is remastered from is never specified on the Artisan discs, though most of the time it was from the same VHS transfer used years ago. "Restored" is one word I never saw being associated with an Artisan release, unless it was "Restored audio."
I do agree with some of the concerns that some Olive Film titles have less-than stellar HD transfers compared to benchmark studio or Criterion releases, though I certainly wouldn't lump them with the majority of the Republic/Artisan DVDs. They can only be an improvement.

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
RolandL said:
I thought I read somewhere that the negative is lost.
And I didn't mention this review: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/308469/a-few-words-about-all-about-eve-in-blu-ray
Photographed in beautiful black & white, Fox's new Blu-ray disc is the best that I've seen it looking in decades, with a superb gray scale, nice blacks and a beautiful tonal range, which is significant considering that the original negative no longer exists. (emphasis added)
I guess it would take $$$$ to do a job equal to All About Eve, even if it's possible with the print Olive had. It would take an "industry insider" with more knowledge than I have to resolve the question.

Kurosawa

Agent
Real Name
David Fyten
Watching Invasion of the Body Snatchers last night, I was struck by what a mutilated classic it is. Mutilated not only by the 2.0 aspect ratio fiasco that both blurs the PQ and cuts off essential picture information from top and bottom (characters in close-ups without the tops of their heads or the tips of their chins; the overall claustrophobic feel of the image; etc.), but also by the studio-mandated "happy" prologue and epilogue, which ruin the tension and overall arc of the story. I found myself simply stopping playback at the point where Kevin McCarthy screams at the camera, "You're next!!!"
As an example of studio-ordered butchery, I would rank IotBS just a cut below The Magnificent Ambersons (not as severe and tragic, perhaps, but every bit as ruinous to its overall tone and impact), and a cut above another infamous (and infuriating) case of corporate celluloid carnage, Hitchcock's Suspicion, with its improbable happy ending.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Kurosawa /t/322359/a-few-words-about-invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-in-blu-ray#post_3950909
the overall claustrophobic feel of the image; etc.),

Which for this film is a good thing and probably what they wanted.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by John Hodson /t/322359/a-few-words-about-invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-in-blu-ray/30#post_3950982
The decision to adopt SuperScope and a 2.1 screen ratio had nothing *whatsoever* to do with artistic intent.

I am not specifically referring to SuperScope, see the part of the quote i posted and replied to.

I am talking about the claustrophobic feel to the movie, remember this was filmed at the height of McCarthyism and the house of un-american activity committee was in full force and out for blood, this film reflects all that and as such a feeling if claustrophobia is intended, i have seen the film many times you know.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Frankly, the difference between 2.00:1 and 1.85:1 (the original production AR) is minimal enough that it probably felt claustrophobic in that AR, too.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Brandon Conway said:
Frankly, the difference between 2.00:1 and 1.85:1 (the original production AR) is minimal enough that it probably felt claustrophobic in that AR, too.
Likely; but, nonetheless, 2.00:1 was never the intention during production. I'd still love to see it how Siegel shot it.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by John Hodson /t/322359/a-few-words-about-invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-in-blu-ray/30#post_3951054
Likely; but, nonetheless, 2.00:1 was never the intention during production. I'd still love to see it how Siegel shot it.

I understand the DVD got both a 1.37:1 and 2.00:1 transfer, pity they couldn't give us both for the Blu ray.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
John Hodson said:
As would many of us. There are full aperture 16mm prints in the hands of private collectors. A scan and 1.85 matting of a decent 16mm print would have made a superb extra to this release.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
FoxyMulder said:
I understand the DVD got both a 1.37:1 and 2.00:1 transfer, pity they couldn't give us both for the Blu ray.
The 1.37:1 version on the DVD was a pan & scan of the already cropped SuperScope image.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by JamesNelson /t/322359/a-few-words-about-invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-in-blu-ray/30#post_3951058
The 1.37:1 version on the DVD was a pan & scan of the already cropped SuperScope image.

Seriously. ?

Not good, i guess that's why they didn't do it then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks