What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Into the Woods -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

To my mind, there are eight stars in the Disney's newly released Blu-ray of the film based upon the Broadway musical of the same name by the great Stephen Sondheim.

With Rob Marshall at the helm, one would presume this would be something special, and it is.

The eight leads:

Meryl Streep, Emily Blunt, James Corden, Anna Kendrick, Chris Pine, Johnny Depp...

the cinematography of Dion Beebe (Chicago) and the brilliant production design of Dennis Gassner (Bugsy, The Truman Show, Big Fish, Quantum of Solace, Skyfall, The Grifters).

Due to Mr. Gassner's vision, The Woods themselves become a character with which to be reckoned.

As the film was shot on an Arri Alexa with Panavision and Angenieux optics, bringing the film in a down-rezzed form to Blu-ray should be a simple matter, and those behind the technical curtain have succeeded to perfection.

The resultant Blu-ray is both visually and aurally, a magnificent way to spend a couple of hours -- a perfect presentation of a wonderful tale combining a myriad of fairy tales to a solid musical core.

With the most recent musicals hitting the silver sheet in less than spectacular ways, "I wish" all modern filmed musicals could hit the notes of Into the Wood.

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Good to hear that the blu ray is quite good. Let me add another star to the mix-the one that shines brightest. The musical genius of Stephen Sondheim.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks