What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm a huge fan of Inglorious Basterds, which takes the reality of French occupied Nazi Germany and spins the facts far from that reality. An interesting concept that should be repeated.

A 2009 production, fits into Mr. Tarantiino's work neatly between Death Proof (2007) and Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair (2011), an oddity which combines and re-works the two Kill Bill films, to an interesting outcome.

Unless one doesn't consider that a new production, which takes us to 2012 for Django Unchained.

Long, at 153 minutes, it moves at a leisurely pace, while it builds, and it works.

Shot on film, and finished as a 2k DI as well as 35mm prints, the new 4k UHD Blu-ray from Universal is a solid release, highlighting Robert Richardson's stunning cinematography.

The film stands up nicely to a bit of bottle age.

Bottom line, a gorgeous new 4k release, which is aided by a light patina of HDR10+.

Image – 5 (HDR10+)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4.25

Highly Recommended

RAH

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Thanks for your input. Will be getting this one- my third favorite Quentin film, behind Pulp and Jackie.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I don't have 4K capability, so I don't have a dog in the fight, but I am pleased to hear that this title turned out so well. (One of these days, maybe.)

Just one brief comment about the film related to imagery. The shot of Melanie Laurent in a red dress at the window smoking the cigarette was easily my favorite image from any film I had seen in 2009. I imagine it looks pretty nice on this release. :)

- Walter.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I don't have 4K capability, so I don't have a dog in the fight, but I am pleased to hear that this title turned out so well. (One of these days, maybe.)

Just one brief comment about the film related to imagery. The shot of Melanie Laurent in a red dress at the window smoking the cigarette was easily my favorite image from any film I had seen in 2009. I imagine it looks pretty nice on this release. :)

- Walter.
Are you talking about her looking down on the theater audience, before the big event happens?

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
So this is a 2k DI upscaled to 4k or it’s a mix of sources (some 2k and 4k)?

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don’t recall the specifics, as to whether negative was cut and conformed. If that was the case, there may have been a new 4k scan from film, as opposed to being restricted to a 2k DI.

Regardless, the new 4k looks beautiful.

I presume someone will have that info.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I remember leaving the theater and predicting Christoph Waltz was going to win an Oscar® for this.
One of the biggest things I remember is laughing at the stones on Tarantino for ending the movie with someone saying "...I think this just might be my masterpiece." He wasn't wrong.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
2FD68403-7B64-4D44-8C53-2B045399BF36.jpeg

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I found some images in the original Blu-ray a bit blown out. Maybe this translated to a slightly "hotter" look for the HDR presentation. I really want to give this one a spin at some point. It's one of my most favourite films.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I found some images in the original Blu-ray a bit blown out. Maybe this translated to a slightly "hotter" look for the HDR presentation. I really want to give this one a spin at some point. It's one of my most favourite films.
Those "blown out" scenes are a signature style of DP Robert Richardson's cinematography. You can google image this for many examples.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks