What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I viewed Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for the first time this evening and at the conclusion was wondering why it received a somewhat "soft" reception from critics as well as filmgoers.

I forget who said it, possibly Roger Ebert, but the phrase "You can only see a film for the first time once" came to mind. And this may have been the problem. I'm occasionally a bit jealous of someone who loves film having that initial experience seeing Lawrence in a quality 70mm presentation on a huge screen, or "Vertigo," or The Godfather films.

There are so many references, many quite sweet, (in what other film could you possibly have a shot in which a speeding vehicle in a large warehouse bumps into a packing case, breaking it open -- just enough to reveal a bit of the Ark of the Covenant briefly to the camera) to the three preceding films, that some people may have reacted unkindly because in some ways they've been here before.

My take in simple. I was prepared to get on the tram, went for the Indy 4 ride -- and loved every moment of it.

What I was thinking as I was watching the film was how beautifully it was produced -- the cinematography, the art direction, the effects -- all of which shows precisely what you can achieve with the top technical people in every field of production and post, and the dollars to accomplish what was necessary -- in this case apparently just south of 200 million.

As far as the Blu-ray disc is concerned, there is only great news.

As a digital intermediate, the film has been magnificently down-rezzed to HD, and the resultant Blu-ray disc is as crisp and clean as any modern film can be.

Everything here is perfect including the Dolby TrueHD audio.

I have yet to get to the second disc, filled to overflowing with a cornucopia of special features, but will get there first chance.

You're in for one huge home video treat!

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Nice review Robert. Maybe this one will work better at home? My 2nd viewing improved somewhat at the theater....glad to see the Blu-ray is top notch.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Thanks Robert. Defiantly looking forward to this one! My favorite film of the summer. But then I like big goofy adventure movies.

Doug

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Boom! Too bad the rest of the series isn't with it. Personally I'd order them 1, 3/4 (tie) then 2, so its as least certainly better than one of the other three and maybe better than 2 of them =) Glad to hear the BD is as good as we can hope for!

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator
I found Indy KotCS much more enjoyable on my 2nd viewing, on a plane of all places.

I used the release of KotCS this summer as an opportunity to introduce my two children to Indy, the 3 proceeding films and the Young Indy Chronicles.

I have to say that KotCS is no better or worse than any of the other films in the Indy series, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. It would be a harsh judgement to see flaws in KotCS and overlook those in the other films.

It is an enjoyable ride, and in hindsight the Crystal Skull is no worse a mcguffin then used in the other films, and entirely appropriate to a cold war setting.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
That's what I'm hoping. One of the problems I had were the special effects looked too digital so maybe they'll play better on a smaller screen.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I don't know. With the clarity of Blu-Ray I'm afraid they might stand out a little more.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I saw Skull twice. First viewing was digital. Second viewing was film. I think the film helped out the fx. Very curious to see it now on my setup.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Interesting that you say that, because most of the effects in this film were done with miniatures rather than digital models.

Doug

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
All those monkeys and gophers weren't miniatures, they were CGI and very bad CGI at that. Also, the jungle chase had a lot of very noticeable digital effects.

David Sal

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Robert. This is a beautiful film. In my fourth viewing at the theater I just sat there to admire the shots, the compositions etc. I hope many people enjoy it more in full HD glory. I´m sure I will. Can´t wait.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Should be getting mine early this Thurs. Cannot wait to see it again for the 6th time.

Film improves greatly on repeat viewings as a lot to take in initially especially the culture shock of seeing Indy in the 50s.

Still going to be the worldwide 2nd or 3rd biggest movie in 2008 which is a good measure of how popular Indy still is.

Lucas is currently in development on story ideas for #5 so we may even get 1 final adventure yet!!

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for the review, Robert. Very much looking forward to picking this up.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Most of the jungle chase is real Hawaiian locations with the exception of the cliff sequence.

I didn't really notice the monkeys looking fake, the gopher slightly but not enough to bother me.

Doug

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
For the record: we have removed Thivanka R. Perera from this forum, because of a totally uncalled for tasteless attack on film critic Roger Ebert (removed).

We're not tolerating "jokes" about someone's serious illness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks