What's new

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I believe Raiders was my very first fullframe laserdisc back in the early 90s. Played on a new 27" TV (with video connections) I'll never forget the impact of seeing Indy chased by the natives in the opening scene. Equally impressive was my laserdisc of War Of The Worlds, never to be forgotten.
I purchased Raiders on Blu-ray and remember being unimpressed with the picture quality, is there only one mastering?

jbmonster

Auditioning
Real Name
John Ballentine
I don't believe the Raiders 4K looks dark at all. I was pleasantly surprised that it shows full shadow detail inside the opening cave sequence and Well of Souls. Some 4K transfers do indeed look a little too dark (Jurassic Park Raptor/Kitchen scene comes to mind). As far as comparison to the BD - that will depend on the size of your screen. On my 60" Plasma there seems to be little difference. Switching to my 142" Scope screen the difference is night and day. I'm absolutely thrilled with the new 4K remaster. (YMMV - Just my 2 cents observation)

Dave MJ

Second Unit
The BD still looks good compared to the UHD. I won't be upgrading any time soon.
The images in that video aren't very accurate. The 4K looks much better than is represented there, especially in HDR10 or Dolby Vision. The 4K image might look darker but that is because the blu-ray was overly brightened.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I don't believe the Raiders 4K looks dark at all. I was pleasantly surprised that it shows full shadow detail inside the opening cave sequence and Well of Souls. Some 4K transfers do indeed look a little too dark (Jurassic Park Raptor/Kitchen scene comes to mind). As far as comparison to the BD - that will depend on the size of your screen. On my 60" Plasma there seems to be little difference. Switching to my 142" Scope screen the difference is night and day. I'm absolutely thrilled with the new 4K remaster. (YMMV - Just my 2 cents observation)
The Caps and YT videos don't have HDR applied so grain of salt.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The old Blu-ray transfer of Raiders is an overly brightened mess. The 4K Blu-ray is vastly superior. And it’s not “dark”. It looks outstanding and the HDR (I watched it in Dolby Vision) adds significantly to the enjoyment of the image quality. None of the screen grabs show the real benefits of HDR.

Mark

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The biggest differences I'm seeing in these screencaps [and again, screencaps can't tell the whole story] is in shadows and highlights. Look at the shots of fire, and the fireball in the Flying Wing fight. Where the BD looked blown out, you see detail and better definition. It looks darker, but that could be part of the screen capture methodology. Until I actually see these, I take these sorts of comparisons with a rather large grain of salt.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Much better HDR screenshots here. Not full res but properly captured and representative of what it actually looks like color and grain wise.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think Amazon has any idea of shipping timelines these days. I placed an order last weekend where they first said it would be delivered on June 15, then I got an "early shipping" email that said it would be here June 14, so of course it arrived today, June 10.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
They've been filming on the North Yorkshire Moors and Bamburgh Castle in Northumberland this week. My local TV news was quite excited...

Nice.

I'm from Yorkshire and have been to the Moors in North Yorkshire. Beautiful place.

I wonder if the movie is going to be set in that area for a part or will be used as a substitute for another part of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks