What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Indecent Proposal -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Adrian Lyne's 1993 Indecent Proposal, looks precisely as one might expect in 4k.

Kino's new 4k UHD has a wonderfully colored image, with requisite grain, and yields something that one could easily confuse with a 35mm print from the OCN. A very nice image harvest from Paramount.

It's actually a rather old-fashioned film, about a sexual bargain. The question being -- how it will play out.

Image – 4.5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Stereo)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Definitely

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
This film left me cold and I don't at this late stage remember why. I wouldn't mind giving it a second try but I'm not sure I want to buy a disc I might not keep, even though it has an RAH recommendation.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I don't quite remember if I really liked this or not as it's been a long while. I'm interested in watching it again in 4k depending on the transfer. It's Paramount so I expect some amount of DNR. Personally I didn't think Fatal Attraction looked very good so I'm somewhat curious.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I wonder why Paramount opted to license this one out to Kino and not release it themselves like they have Lyne's Fatal Attraction?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I wonder why Paramount opted to license this one out to Kino and not release it themselves like they have Lyne's Fatal Attraction?

Fatal Attraction
Academy Awards 1988
Nominee - Best Picture
Nominee - Best Actress in a Leading Role (Glenn Close)
Nominee - Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Anne Archer)
Nominee - Best Director (Adrian Lynne)
Nominee - Best Adapted Screenplay
Nominee - Best Film Editing

Indecent Proposal
Golden Raspberry Awards 1994
Winner - Worst Picture
Winner - Worst Supporting Actor (Woody Harrelson)
Winner - Worst Screenplay
Nominee - Worst Actor (Robert Redford)
Nominee - Worst Actress (Demi Moore)
Nominee - Worst Director (Adrian Lynne)
Nominee - Worst Original Song ("You Love Me in All the Right Places")

Fatal Attraction is more of a signature film for Paramount. It was a bigger hit, was very well reviewed by critics at the time, and scored six Oscar nominations. It also has some very iconic scenes that have endured in the pop culture consciousness. I would assume it's been a reliable seller on home video across multiple formats.

Although Indecent Proposal was also a box office hit (though less of one), it was very negatively reviewed and its premise was the butt of many comedians' jokes. Its financial success was also ephemeral, and the movie faded from public consciousness pretty quickly after it left theaters.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
About a year ago Paramount reached an agreement with Kino, for Kino to handle most future catalog releases. I believe there maybe a list of titles somewhere on the internet. Kino does good work, so it shouldn't be a major concern.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I can't find anything online regarding the cinematography for Indecent Proposal -- does anyone have any insights there? Went through the ASC Mag archives too, but couldn't find anything.

It seems to my eye like William Atherton might have used bleach bypass for some parts of the film, especially during the fateful night. There's a silvery, almost glowing quality to the image that doesn't look like it's just a matter of diffusion filters (though Atherton did use plenty of those). Yet the blacks on the UHD aren't exceptionally deep like you might expect. Can anyone point me to anything about it? Thanks.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
A female friend of mine had two reactions to Indecent Proposal:
1. Spend the night in bed with Robert Redford AND I get a million dollars?
2. The choice between Redford and Woody Harrelson is no contest. Make it Redford and Tom Selleck — THAT's a dilemma!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I saw this when it came out with my girlfriend at that time. I was 21. We got into a small argument after the movie because of this aspect of the story:

I didn't think the Harrelson character should have taken the Moore character back after what she did to him.
I'm not sure how I would feel about it now as it's been so many years since seeing the movie. Not sure if I have a desire to see it again or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks