What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hulk -- in HD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I was viewing a screener this evening for a new production in SD, and after an hour or so, I began to think that it was looking quite good.

When it was over, I switched over to Universal's HD release of Hulk. Like other films that have gone through the DI process on their way to theatrical and later home video, it is most likely not a transfer, but rather ported digital files.

As such one would expect an extremely high quality treatment on HD DVD, and Universal has delivered precisely that.

Hulk is one of the most perfect HD discs thus far released, and fans of the character and Marvel in general will be extremely pleased.

Everything is positive with this disc, and I find no negatives whatsoever.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Some people have the contrarian impulse. The more highly esteemed the source of reporting, or the sheer numerical weight of positive reports, simply throttles them. I liken the effect, to an adolescent confronted with a big, beautiful plate-glass window. The urge to pick up a rock is just overwhelming.

That being said, of course...everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

I've seen nearly 170 BD's and HD-DVD's so far and Da Hulk is the most impressive disc I've seen yet. I'd have a hard time trying to spot anything to nit-pick on this 'un. I even like the film, mildly anyway. I like the split screen style. Just try and pan & scan them frames all you evil broadcasters.

Name a problem with the disc's encoding. I know that ain't E-Z.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I wasn't too impressed either. Only watched the begining though. Ditto for King Kong - the end scenes were more impressive.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought this was one of the most impressive HD DVD presentations I've seen on my display.

Crawdaddy

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I actually watched the regular DVD over the weekend and thought it was one of the finest looking transfers I'd ever seen. It's just not hard to believe it makes an outstanding HD version as well. To the naysayers, which film is a better example of the media?

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Not only was the video transfer excellent, the audio was truly outstanding in both the design and transfer.
IMO, better than KK in the audio and a better film as well.
Highly recommended.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Indoor or outdoor? Edge haloing in outdoor shots isn't necessarily artifical....like Edge Enchanment halos from sharpening. I've just watched the disc once but nothin' unatural jumped out at me. DVD and even LD before has made me sensative to sharpening. I know they'll stille pull it out of their little bag of tricks like on some indoor scenes in U-571. I've busted 'em a few times.

I'm gonna rewatch this disc in the next month or so. If I wanted to impress somebody, it would be on my short list for sure. My XA1 never stuttered on the bleeder to boot.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
To everyone (other than RAH) sharing your impressions in this thread:

Please let us know what type of display you have and what your viewing distance/screen-width ratio is.

I've seen BDs and HD DVDs that looked unimpressive on my 720P projector... then when I viewed the same discs on my friend's 1080p projector they looked BETTER than HD titles that I thought were reference!

I think that downconversion to 720P can sometimes play games with how these images look. Note that RAH is viewing in 1080p and his projector deinterlaces 1080i to proper 1080p with 3-2 pulldown reversal (ie, he's seeing real 1080p from his HD DVD player).

In any case, as we share our impressions, it would be nice if the rest of us could share our system details as well to help put our impressions in context.

thanks! (p.s haven't seen this yet but my projector is 720p dlp)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Got mine yesterday. Seen only a few images (on my new Sony Pearl projector -> old 100" screen). Watched at 1080i. Amazing picture.

Note that mr. Harris correctly names this release "Hulk".
It's the correct title of the movie, although many people say "The Hulk", which appeared to have been the working title of the movie.

Also, the back of the case doesn't know it is "Hulk", and has "The" before it in almost all instances.

Cees

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I got HULK in HD and I must say.. its very impressive. both in sound and picture.. the detail on hulk is more defined.

Jacob

Ian Currie

Stunt Coordinator
Watched this last night and had to pick my jaw up from the floor.

Absolutely perfect imo. This is what I expect from HD.

I'd like all the peeps that think Pearl Harbor looks good to see this. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks