What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ How the West Was Won -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
As I understand it, the gross on HTWWW was spilt equally between MGM and Cinerama so MGM's share shown above was only half of its take.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Cleopatra eventually did earn back its cost and was the biggest money earner of the films mentioned. As I stated it cost a fortune that that in part is the reason for its noterietry.
True Cleopatra did finally earn back it's cost and eventually made a small profit. But that took many years. It was only THE SOUND OF MUSIC that restored Fox's dwindling money in the bank to a healthy amount .SOM was and still is the longest running English speaking film in history.5 years in London,4 and a half in Sydney and the only film to run over a year in New Zealand (Auckland). 42 weeks in Wellington (New Zealand) These lengthy runs have never been surpassed in over 50 years. For me it certainly wasn't much fun having to see this film every day for 42 weeks.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
CLEOPATRA was a 'massive' financial flop. It never made a cent.It did not make a ton of money like you said. It was the biggest financial flop ever at the time of it's release. It almost sent a studio broke. It had a very disappointing run in TODD-AO where I worked.
That's a big assumption to be making without having any of the documentation to back it up. I'm going to be acquiring budget and cost reports for Cleopatra quite soon from the producer's archive at the Wisconsin Historical Society and I should be able to verify just how "massive" it flopped. And yes, I'm aware the movie was a flop on release due to its exorbitant costs, but I don't believe it was "massive."

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
As I understand it, the gross on HTWWW was spilt equally between MGM and Cinerama so MGM's share shown above was only half of its take.

True John, but with one smash hit (HTWWW) and another (BROTHERS GRIMM) that was not the expected hit at the box-office, MGM eventually lost money on the combined films. It was also the end of 3-strip Cinerama. 3-strip Kinopanorama (Russia) did after approx. a 40 year break , have a revival (in Australia) where it continues to this day. I was fortunate to go on location several times and have some 3-strip film of my self which was filmed at the late John Mitchell's residence more that a decade ago.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
That's a big assumption to be making without having any of the documentation to back it up. I'm going to be acquiring budget and cost reports for Cleopatra quite soon from the producer's archive at the Wisconsin Historical Society and I should be able to verify just how "massive" it flopped. And yes, I'm aware the movie was a flop on release due to its exorbitant costs, but I don't believe it was "massive."
Should be fascinating reading. As is well known, Fox adding the studio losses for several years to the film's legitimate cost.
Even by Hollywood's "strange" accounting methods ,it is interesting that it eventually came good.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
IMO, it's the most known score from that year.
Agreed. The late fifties and early sixties were glory years for movie music. United Artists used to put out a new album of movie themes every year.

Attachments

• Motion Picture Themes.png
    Motion Picture Themes.png
    936.4 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: PMF

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
True Cleopatra did finally earn back it's cost and eventually made a small profit. But that took many years. It was only THE SOUND OF MUSIC that restored Fox's dwindling money in the bank to a healthy amount .SOM was and still is the longest running English speaking film in history.5 years in London,4 and a half in
Sydney and the only film to run over a year in New Zealand (Auckland). 42 weeks in Wellington (New Zealand) These lengthy runs have never been surpassed in over 50 years. For me it certainly wasn't much fun having to see this film every day for 42 weeks.

I believe the longest running Roadshow film in New York was Around the world in 80 Day’s at the Rivoli Theater at 102 weeks . Sound of Music was cut short at 96 weeks due to arrangements made for the premiere showing of The Sand Pebbles at the Rivoli.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
True Cleopatra did finally earn back it's cost and eventually made a small profit. But that took many years. It was only THE SOUND OF MUSIC that restored Fox's dwindling money in the bank to a healthy amount .SOM was and still is the longest running English speaking film in history.5 years in London,4 and a half in Sydney and the only film to run over a year in New Zealand (Auckland). 42 weeks in Wellington (New Zealand) These lengthy runs have never been surpassed in over 50 years. For me it certainly wasn't much fun having to see this film every day for 42 weeks.

I believe I read that "The Longest Day" massive success in 1962, helped offset the studio's loses for Cleopatra

• Insightful

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I believe I read that "The Longest Day" massive success in 1962, helped offset the studio's loses for Cleopatra

The Longest was successful and kept Fox in business as the studio put all of its resources into the Cleopatra production. Fox cancelled a number of productions during this time period including the George Cukor film starring Marilyn Monroe.

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
"West Side Story" also ran for five years in Paris, but split between two theaters, I believe.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Unlike South Pacific which ended its 4 and a half year run at London's Dominion Theatre where it begun in April 58.
They needed two Todd-AO prints. The first was the longer version.

MarkantonyII

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
The film elements would work beautifully with 4k. Only problem is dollars. Calling Dave Strohmaier!
My maths is terrible, but i think all 3 panels were scanned and fixed separately at 2K each, then combined. Given the ultrawide AR it may be poss to get an almost 4K image by utilising the 3 x 2K masters...then removing the join lines 😭

M

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
My maths is terrible, but i think all 3 panels were scanned and fixed separately at 2K each, then combined. Given the ultrawide AR it may be poss to get an almost 4K image by utilising the 3 x 2K masters...then removing the join lines 😭

M
I can assist with the math. Scanning each panel at 2K (perf-to-perf, and 6 perfs high) would result in 2K wide by 2.25K high, all three combined resulting in 6K wide by 2.25K high, minus appropriate cropping. Scanning at 4K would result in a total of 12K wide by 4.5K high, again minus appropriate cropping. Needless to say way more resolution than 4K!

MarkantonyII

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I can assist with the math. Scanning each panel at 2K (perf-to-perf, and 6 perfs high) would result in 2K wide by 2.25K high, all three combined resulting in 6K wide by 2.25K high, minus appropriate cropping. Scanning at 4K would result in a total of 12K wide by 4.5K high, again minus appropriate cropping. Needless to say way more resolution than 4K!
So therefore the 3x existing 2K masters, if recombined, have +50% more width resolution than 4K.

Whether this works depends if the % of black bar height on 2.89:1 gives an equivalent, actual picture area, height information of around 2.25K if adapted to a 4K master or significantly less.

M

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Unlike South Pacific which ended its 4 and a half year run at London's Dominion Theatre where it begun in April 58.
They needed two Todd-AO prints. The first was the longer version.

But they ,like the USA never had an overture for the film. We did where I worked in New Zealand.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
But they ,like the USA never had an overture for the film. We did where I worked in New Zealand.
The second cut print did.
As you know the first print when straight into the titles after the motor cycle crash at the end of The Miracle of Todd-AO short.
Great showmanship!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks