What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ How the West Was Won -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree with everything you say. I will add that Alfred Newman's theme music is one of my favorites. I have the entire soundtrack on CD.
What a terrible choice Oscar voters had to make between those Best Original Score nominees in 1963: How the West Was Won, Cleopatra, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, 55 Days at Peking, and (eventual winner) Tom Jones. And that doesn't even include the brilliant Henry Mancini score for Charade which I probably would have included in place of Peking.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Did Tom Jones deserve it?
Haven't see it since 1963 so difficult to recall where as in my memory any of those listed deserved the Oscar.

Reactions: PMF

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
What a terrible choice Oscar voters had to make between those Best Original Score nominees in 1963: How the West Was Won, Cleopatra, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, 55 Days at Peking, and (eventual winner) Tom Jones. And that doesn't even include the brilliant Henry Mancini score for Charade which I probably would have included in place of Peking.
Another score that could have been nominated that year was The Great Escape by Elmer Bernstein. It was pretty much a Who's Who of composers that year.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Did Tom Jones deserve it?
Haven't see it since 1963 so difficult to recall where as in my memory any of those listed deserved the Oscar.

I haven’t seen the film myself, but from the few bits of score I’ve heard, it sounds funny and humorous. However, I do think they should have given the Oscar to Cleopatra, as it’s such wonderfully complex score with two beautiful love themes (How the West was Won would be my runner-up to keep this slightly on-topic).

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Not to mention the score by Richard Burton. ;)
Carrie and Todd Fisher have mentioned it ;) ... Their mother was an actress of some note - who was in HTWWW :cool: !
1610326860246.png

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As far as I'm concerned, Debbie is THE star of How the West Was Won. She was the only star whose story went the entire way through the film crossing a couple of generations. Also, she performs three knockout numbers in the movie, songs that got multiple replays on the soundtrack LP and CD down through the years. In fact, my mom once hollered at me from the kitchen, "Stop playing that Debbie Reynolds song all the time!" (It was "What Was Your Name in the States?")

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
TOM JONES was a massive hit that year. Probably made more money than any of the other films that you listed.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
TOM JONES was a massive hit that year. Probably made more money than any of the other films that you listed.

Without having the statistics to back me up I truly doubt that Tom Jones was more successful than the other films mentioned.
Huge Roadshow films that had lengthy runs. Even Cleopatra made a ton of money. Unfortunately it also cost a ton. In any case they were all entertaining and fine films.

If anyone is interested in the scores of these films... they are all classics . If one has the chance to check out the complete or near complete Alex North score for Cleopatra on Varese Sarabande it is quite stunning and in my opinion is tops.

I too would have included Charade over Peking.

Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
The chart above made me realize how lucky I was to be able to see 7 of the 11 films in a theatre including HTWWW and IAMMMMW at a Cinerama location. Unfortunately, it also made me realize how old I am. :oops::oops:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Without having the statistics to back me up I truly doubt that Tom Jones was more successful than the other films mentioned.
Huge Roadshow films that had lengthy runs. Even Cleopatra made a ton of money. Unfortunately it also cost a ton. In any case they were all entertaining and fine films.

If anyone is interested in the scores of these films... they are all classics . If one has the chance to check out the complete or near complete Alex North score for Cleopatra on Varese Sarabande it is quite stunning and in my opinion is tops.

I too would have included Charade over Peking.
CLEOPATRA was a 'massive' financial flop. It never made a cent.It did not make a ton of money like you said. It was the biggest financial flop ever at the time of it's release. It almost sent a studio broke. It had a very disappointing run in TODD-AO where I worked. HTWWW and BROTHERS GRIMM were financial flops if you combined the costs to make them both as against box office takings. HTWWW was a huge success but WWOTBG wasn't. TOM JONES was a huge financial success. It was the film that most people were talking about that year and the one to see. Such a huge success .Not surprised that it won the best film Oscar. Some of the 1963 films may have taken a lot of money at the box office but that meant nothing when you take into account the costs to make them. TOM JONES wasn't an expensive film to make so the profits were huge.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Maybe AMPAS ought not to nominate 5 candidates towards a singular winner but, rather, simply give out awards in recognition of the Top 5 works from each of the categories. I have certain creative issues over turning the peak and excellence of ones work into an all-of-a-sudden overnight loser. Concerning ceremonies such as these, I’m with George C. Scott.

Last edited:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
CLEOPATRA was a 'massive' financial flop. It never made a cent.It did not make a ton of money like you said. It was the biggest financial flop ever at the time of it's release. It almost sent a studio broke. It had a very disappointing run in TODD-AO where I worked. HTWWW and BROTHERS GRIMM were financial flops if you combined the costs to make them both as against box office takings. HTWWW was a huge success but WWOTBG wasn't. TOM JONES was a huge financial success. It was the film that most people were talking about that year and the one to see. Such a huge success .Not surprised that it won the best film Oscar. Some of the 1963 films may have taken a lot of money at the box office but that meant nothing when you take into account the costs to make them. TOM JONES wasn't an expensive film to make so the profits were huge.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Cleopatra eventually did earn back its cost and was the biggest money earner of the films mentioned. As I stated it cost a fortune that that in part is the reason for its noterietry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks