What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've always considered Steven Spielberg's Hook to be half a terrific film.

Re-visiting the production via Sony's new 4k UHD Blu-ray, my feeling remains the same, with a single exception.

The parts that I like, the basic premise, the opening - basically everything except the lost boys - seem even better.

And then there's the magnificent Maggie Smith.

The new 4k is head and shoulders beyond any extant home video offering, with gorgeous color, a highly resolved 4k image, and a velvety sheen of gorgeous grain.

Beyond that, we're offered Dolby Atmos, which adds that extra layer.

Image - 5 (HDR10)

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Totally agree! As I stated in my review here on HTF, Hook, for one reason or another, has never looked good on home video, until now.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Back Cover and Site review says 4K disc does have Atmos. I don't have it yet so only going by written words. I'm going to guess reading RH sentence as context that an extra 'not' slipped into the review

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Back Cover and Site review says 4K disc does have Atmos. I don't have it yet so only going by written words. I'm going to guess reading RH sentence as context that an extra 'not' slipped into the review

Precisely. Don't like software programs editing my words. Weird.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
To me the worst thing in this film is the miscasting of Julia Roberts as Tinker Bell.

She’s sooooooooo annoying. Lots to like in this film even tho it’s one of Spielberg’s lesser efforts. Terrific John Williams score. One of his best I think.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
To me the worst thing in this film is the miscasting of Julia Roberts as Tinker Bell.

She’s sooooooooo annoying. Lots to like in this film even tho it’s one of Spielberg’s lesser efforts. Terrific John Williams score. One of his best I think.

And I like Hoffman in this. But the Lost Boys sequences are way-y overproduced in that way that only Spielberg could provide with his enormous budgets. The slapstick action is silly and works against the more serious message the film purports to present. The humor is forced and the running time a good half-hour too long. This to me is a bit of an insult to Barrie. I own it because I am a Spielberg completist, but it sits right at the very bottom of my re-watch list.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’m trying to think if there is a Spielberg film I like less (even tho I still like Hook).

I don’t think so.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It definitely is Atmos. Watching it now.

Hoping the iTunes version gets upgraded to 4K soon.
Strange I watched the disc last night and it was giving me DTSHDMA 7.1. Do you need to manually select Atmos or something?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, that's a bummer. But thanks for the info.
I think tho if you redeem the UHD code thru Movies Anywhere it will redeem as 4K wherever that’s available including Vudu.

I was referring to previously owned HD versions of Hook.

Just to be clear.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Those lost boys are annoying... esp that one kid who thinks he is badass... cringworthy. I recall the Siskel & Ebert show review and still agree this “neverland” is not a place I’d want to visit. It just looks dirty and cheap.

Part of my wants to revisit the film for nice transfer of film grain and the Atmos audio

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I’m trying to think if there is a Spielberg film I like less (even tho I still like Hook).

I don’t think so.
JP: The Lost World is always at the bottom of my Spielberg list. Though I didn't care for Tintin, either.

There are still a couple of his films I haven't seen (The Terminal, The BFG, Sugarland Express).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks