What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ High Noon - Olive Signature -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't see where I was blaming BN at all. Just stating I had an order with them...

Sorry about that then -- I read something into the sentence that wasn't there. There have been a spate of delayed new releases lately -- releases being pushed back several weeks to months, little to no stock of brand new releases at both B&M and Online, unfulfilled preorders, etc. It used to hit the tiny companies like TT not infrequently, but now it's affecting the big boys also.

Is there something going on at the manufacturing/disc replication stage -- closed plants or plants operating on a 50% basis, is it just coincidence, or have companies cut so far back on 1st pressing print runs that they can't meet normal demand anymore. ??Something more nefarious to push people away from physical media completely or to push the prices back up

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Nice package. Haven't had time to watch any, but the booklet has a thought-provoking, well-written, and detailed essay by Nick James. It's on high quality glossy paper with some good pix.

The various mini documentaries sound promising. And I just saw today that one of them, "Oscars and Ulcers: The Production History of High Noon" is narrated by the late Anton Yelchin. Poignant. Must have been one of the last things he did before his untimely death.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hmmmmm. Amazon has bumped the price of High Noon up to $39.95.

And still has the "Usually ships in 1 to 2 months" tag on the product page.
No shipping update for me yet, either.

I'm still in the October 10 thru November 15th delivery window.
Such pricing fluctuation happens all the time on Amazon whenever video product is in demand, but supply is out of stock. The price will go back down again and probably very soon.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It just went back to the $16+ sale price this morning (with the still weird 1 to 2 month delivery window). I ordered it.

Yeah, in response to it being back in stock at Best Buy. Although it now says "exclusively for Prime Members"

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The Beaver posted caps - he likes this new transfer but his caps as always do NOT tell the story - in fact, the old caps APPEAR to have more detail - APPEAR being the operative word. While I do like the idea of his site and can occasionally at least get an idea of what I'm in for, he is simply not doing these films any favors, at least to my eyes. I'd be interested in other opinions about these particular caps.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
The Beaver posted caps - he likes this new transfer but his caps as always do NOT tell the story - in fact, the old caps APPEAR to have more detail - APPEAR being the operative word. While I do like the idea of his site and can occasionally at least get an idea of what I'm in for, he is simply not doing these films any favors, at least to my eyes. I'd be interested in other opinions about these particular caps.
I don't know about Beaver's caps but, watching the new release last night with about a 90" diagonal image, I thought it had plenty of detail. Great contrast too. It appeared to me that the Gary Cooper close-ups may have been slightly diffused in the original photography, as they seemed slightly softer than adjacent cuts. The film really is beautifully shot and edited.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I understand the disc itself looks better - I'm asking about these particular screen caps - just want to know if my eyes are correct and that these new caps just are not indicative of anything really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks