What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Hellfighters – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

It all probably begins with a bad screenplay. Plug in characters, and mis-use actors' talents, especially Katharine Ross, who should have had something special after The Graduate.

This is a Mill Creek release, so I went in prepared for anything, and came away generally pleased.

The transfer doesn't appear to be the newest or from an OCN, but it's more than serviceable, especially for the asking price.

Colors and densities are fine. Black levels a bit iffy, but that could be the IP. Audio is fine.

It's pressed to a BD-25, and I also thought that might cause problems, but because of Panavision, data throughput works fine for the subject. No problems.

Generally for Wayne completists.

As to Mill Creek, I'd have no problem with them offering second and third tier films in this quality and at this price point. They've come a long way.

Image – 4.25

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
It all probably begins with a bad screenplay. Plug in characters, and mis-use actors' talents, especially Katharine Ross, who should have had something special after The Graduate.

This is a Mill Creek release, so I went in prepared for anything, and came away generally pleased.

The transfer doesn't appear to be the newest or from an OCN, but it's more than serviceable, especially for the asking price.

Colors and densities are fine. Black levels a bit iffy, but that could be the IP. Audio is fine.

It's pressed to a BD-25, and I also thought that might cause problems, but because of Panavision, data throughput works fine for the subject. No problems.

Generally for Wayne completists.

As to Mill Creek, I'd have no problem with them offering second and third tier films in this quality and at this price point. They've come a long way.

Image – 4.25

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

RAH
Speak for yourself as I always had a soft spot for this Wayne movie and Ross's appearance in it. It's not one of Wayne's best, but it's entertaining to me ever since I watched it during its theatrical run back in 68/69. This BD is probably derived from the same transfer used for the 2015 Universal Blu-ray.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Speak for yourself as I always had a soft spot for this Wayne movie and Ross's appearance in it. It's not one of Wayne's best, but it's entertaining to me ever since I watched it during its theatrical run back in 68/69. This BD is probably derived from the same transfer used for the 2015 Universal Blu-ray.
Hellfighters is not only one of my favorite John Wayne movies, it is one of my favorite movies! Great special effects and Cinematographer William Clothier did a fantastic job !

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor
The comments in this thread are spurring me on to pull out my 2015 Universal BD again this week. As others have said, the film is no Citizen Kane, but it’s extremely entertaining

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I viewed the film for the first time last night when it was shown on one of my Directv channels. Liked the film and seeing John Wayne & Jim Hutton who i wished made more films and sadly died early at age 45.

Bartman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I remembered this movie from my childhood. I purchased the Universal Blu-ray for a few dollars. This movie is dated by its social interactions and I could see why this would have impressed me as a young boy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quirkyperks
Recent bookmarks