What's new

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Best Buy and Value Electronics are the two notable retailers for Panasonic UHD players.

Value Electronics is a very high quality non-chain independent dealer who has very high service levels and does a lot for the industry, like sponsoring shootouts and seminars. People should be quite happy to order from them and not from Amazon or chains.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Value Electronics is a very high quality non-chain independent dealer who has very high service levels and does a lot for the industry, like sponsoring shootouts and seminars. People should be quite happy to order from them and not from Amazon or chains.

If one visits Value, and has a question, you won’t be speaking with a salesperson. You’ll be with an engineer, who interrelates with the manufacturers.,

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Concerning Bryan's post # 19 - is this some sort of limited edition player that is going out of production ?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
From Mr. Zohn:

For projector owners the UB9000 will be a nice advantage in HDR performance vs. the UB820 as the UB9000 has two projector HDR Optimizer selections, 350Nit and 500Nit tone mapping. The UB820 only has the 500Nit mode for projectors.

So I'm starting my research and a poster on another forum asks "Just got a panasonic ub9000 bluray player, should I set it sdr2020 or using the hdr2020 have better picture quality?"

The responses he is getting suggests he should use sdr2020. That makes no sense.

If I were to get one it would be paired with a JVC 790R / (aka 540) and my expectation would be to set it to hdr2020 and whatever that 350 nits choice is instead of 500. Am I tracking on that? Would I see any issues using the standard 500 nits solution on an 820 and save $500?

For the record I'm using Javs's tone mapping on an Oppo now. It simulates HDR nicely but I have a bit of black crush cause I can't calibrate it cleanly on my own. And it's a nightmare for anyone else to run but me and it constantly pops for a 10 second lockup on resync. I'd pay to get a better solution but I don't know if I would pay $1000 for it. That's half of a new projector.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So I'm starting my research and a poster on another forum asks "Just got a panasonic ub9000 bluray player, should I set it sdr2020 or using the hdr2020 have better picture quality?"

The responses he is getting suggests he should use sdr2020. That makes no sense.

If I were to get one it would be paired with a JVC 790R / (aka 540) and my expectation would be to set it to hdr2020 and whatever that 350 nits choice is instead of 500. Am I tracking on that? Would I see any issues using the standard 500 nits solution on an 820 and save $500?

For the record I'm using Javs's tone mapping on an Oppo now. It simulates HDR nicely but I have a bit of black crush cause I can't calibrate it cleanly on my own. And it's a nightmare for anyone else to run but me and it constantly pops for a 10 second lockup on resync. I'd pay to get a better solution but I don't know if I would pay $1000 for it. That's half of a new projector.

I was told to set for low/standard illumination. Dolby Vision off.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Glad you are made out of money. We all can't afford the 9000. I was just asking about an entry level player and he had mentioned his dislike for the Samsung.

I would just stay away from Samsung players in general. Samsung's a only ever been good at being one of the first to market for players, never about actual quality IMHO... especially if it's something on bleeding edge that definitely needs responsive, reliable customer service.

If you need an affordable, low end UHD player, I'd much sooner try Sony or maybe LG. The Sony X700 is pretty good at the under-$200 level... although not sure it's readily available at that price right now.

_Man_

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Yep works for some studios not others

Eg I can play USA criterion’s and many Japanese blu rays on my Australian Panasonic 9000

Others I can’t (eg many USA fox titles)

This is the hack I assume you mean ?

. View attachment 57985

A million thanks for this headsup.

For the benefit of Region B owners this simple hack also works in the opposite direction. So far it enables ever Criterion Region A I've put in it and a couple of Lionsgates and others. I have spent the last year looking vainly for a legally availbale region hack for the Pannys online. Et Voila!!

MG Stearns

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Stearns
I paired the 820 with the Epson 4010 projector and it’s incredible. It looked great even before I found the HDR Optimizer. But once I implemented it...wow. Huge difference. I hear the 5050 is even way better, so I hope to upgrade when it dropsin price.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d love an Epson 5050 and a Panny 820 combo. I don’t think I’ll have the budget to do that for a few years, but that may be the new long term goal.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Best Buy has a deal on the LG UBK90

$199 plus three 4K films. Was tempted but kept thinking of this thread.

Anyone have thoughts on the UBK 90? I’m torn.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy has a deal on the LG UBK90

$199 plus three 4K films. Was tempted but kept thinking of this thread.

Anyone have thoughts on the UBK 90? I’m torn.

Get the 820 if you can, it is a beautiful thing Tino. The HDR optimizer and options for video/audio are other worldly. I get lost sometimes fiddling with video settings. And the picture quality is better than anything on the market according to reviews--I think the video quality is better than my Oppo.

Worth it.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I just hope the 9000 has a lot of the Oppo extras like 21:9 and subtitle adjustments.

The Panasonic 820 and 9000 models have subtitle shift, but no 21:9 scaling for anamorphic lens support. The latter remains an OPPO exclusive feature.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

"SDR2020" is a misnomer. It’s not really SDR. It’s the output mode you select in the UHD Blu-ray player if you want the player to decode the HDR video itself, rather than bitstream the raw data to the TV/display to decode and tone map. The display will receive a signal it believes is SDR, so that it won’t kick in its own HDR tone mapping. The “SDR” actually has Rec. 2020 colors and more dynamic range than regular SDR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks