What's new

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Panasonic just sent me the first mass production UB9000P1K. We'll have them for sale by the end of August.

Panasonic UB9000P1K.jpg

The only upgrade is a new 2-channel DAC from ESS as the factory AKM that made the original DAC was destroyed in a fire. The signal to noise specs are slightly better on the new ESS DAC, but from my limited testing I did not hear any easily noticeable difference with the few CDs I played.

Thank you Panasonic!

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I encountered an odd problem tonight with my UB9000 (first gen, I believe).

We watched the new Criterion Blu-ray of "Bringing Up Baby" and it had significant lip sync problems. It's been decades since I last saw this movie so for the first few scenes (museum and golf course) I chalked it up to original audio source problems. As the minutes ticked on it was clear it was the player.

Out of curiosity I popped the disc into my old faithful, the PS3. No lip sync issue at all.

Back to the UB9000 and the issue was still there.

I've had the player for a few months now and watch about 50 movies so far. We've watched mostly 4k UHD Blu-rays, with the rest being "just" Blu-rays. This is the only disc that has had lip sync issues for me.

It didn't really affect our night or anything since we just used a different player, but I found the issue odd.

Has anyone ever had their player have a lip sync issue on just one disc?

Anyone else with the UB9000 have a noticeable lip sync issue when watching "Bringing Up Baby"?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I thought I’d give everyone a heads-up that Panasonic has just released a new firmware update for the UB9000 - v1.69, up from the one that’s been around forever, v1.60.

I’m hoping that this will resolve the Dolby Vision playback issue I’m having with some of the supplements on Arrow’s new Limited Edition 4K release of Dune.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I thought I’d give everyone a heads-up that Panasonic has just released a new firmware update for the UB9000 - v1.69, up from the one that’s been around forever, v1.60.

I’m hoping that this will resolve the Dolby Vision playback issue I’m having with some of the supplements on Arrow’s new Limited Edition 4K release of Dune.
Yeah, been discussing this on other forums; cannot BELIEVE we actually got an update for this (and, apparently, for the 820, as well...maybe some other cheaper models too).

I hope this solves the issues many owners are having with some titles freezing and such, but I am still waiting for Panasonic to address the myriad of complaints many owners such as me have had (a customer complaint document was actually dispatched to their engineers via some members of other forums) with regard to removing the stupid auto-off function and adding aspect ratio controls, et. al.

Not holding my breath, though, because it seems like "one miracle at a time" is this company's operational motto...:rolleyes:

As of last night, my 9000 didn't auto-update; I may have to force it, even though we are connected wirelessly and set up to receive the updates by default.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

I can confirm that this firmware update is also available for the UB820, as well.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm planning on the upgrading the firmware to my UB9000 this weekend. I'll test "Bringing Up Baby" and see if the lip sync issue I noted above is still present.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Wow, I was just talking about the lack of an update last week. Awesome.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
For those interested, I updated my UB9000 to the latest firmware and it did not fix the lip sync problem I have with the Criterion "Bringing Up Baby" Blu-ray (see my post #302 above).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For those interested, I updated my UB9000 to the latest firmware and it did not fix the lip sync problem I have with the Criterion "Bringing Up Baby" Blu-ray (see my post #302 above).
It didn't fix the problem I'm having with Arrow's Dune 4K either.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The update seemed to be for the whole line. My UB420 also updated over the weekend. Not sure what it specifically included. Panasonic's description of the update is less than helpful, as well:

29/Sep/2021​
Ver 1.69​
  • Playability of Blu-ray Disc™

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Had to force my update; no issues when playing the last UHD Blu-ray we bought, Scream Factory's Halloween III...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
On Reddit there was a post with a little more detail, though this is not an "official" source:

"This new firmware addresses problematic discs such as Knives Out, Midway, Ghost In The Shell, Armageddon etc. Helping to ensure more compatibility going forward as well."

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
On Reddit there was a post with a little more detail, though this is not an "official" source:

"This new firmware addresses problematic discs such as Knives Out, Midway, Ghost In The Shell, Armageddon etc. Helping to ensure more compatibility going forward as well."
Armageddon was released as a UHD Blu? I didn't even know that...

I wasn't even aware there was a problem with the regular Blu, if that was the insinuation.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Armageddon was released as a UHD Blu? I didn't even know that...

I wasn't even aware there was a problem with the regular Blu, if that was the insinuation.
Actually, it originally said Farmageddon, which I thought was a typo and corrected, but I see now that's actually a movie from Aardman Studios. Must be some issue with that. :)

shopping

Paul Dalton

Auditioning
You didn't mention this (& I realize it ran OK on the other player), but can you buy/borrow another copy of that same disc to try just in case it's a disc production defect involving something only the UB9000 "sees"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks