What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Harvey -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I wish I had the disposable income to buy everything I wanted when I wanted it, but I dont.
Am there, do that, got the teeshirt too. Admittedly being single I don't get tut-tutted at but I still have to budget what disposable income I have. Fortunately I have enough slack this month for a 6'3" invisible rabbit and his dipsomaniac best friend.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
RobHam said:
During this time and in a work-related scenario, I had a disagreement with a female colleague. At the end of the disagreement she said, "thank you for being frank with me." I then replied, "I'm not Frank - Frank is the invisible rabbit sitting next to you."
She looked.
She then saw that I'd seen her look for the invisible rabbit.
The following year all my work colleagues were invited to this womans wedding - all except me.
I'd seen her look for the invisible rabbit.
This is a very interesting anecdote, but I'm sure I speak for all of us when I ask: "Did Frank receive an invitation?"

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
I've just had a critical look at the dvd - occasional scratches and muck on the print and some aliasing. Sound seems fine.
Hard job justifying it as an upgrade
"Harvey and I sit in the bars... have a drink or two... play the juke box. And soon the faces of all the other people they turn toward mine and they smile. And they're saying, "We don't know your name, mister, but you're a very nice fella." Harvey and I warm ourselves in all these golden moments. We've entered as strangers - soon we have friends. And they come over... and they sit with us... and they drink with us... and they talk to us. They tell about the big terrible things they've done and the big wonderful things they'll do. Their hopes, and their regrets, and their loves, and their hates. All very large, because nobody ever brings anything small into a bar. And then I introduce them to Harvey... and he's bigger and grander than anything they offer me. And when they leave, they leave impressed. The same people seldom come back."
I'll end up watching the damn thing now.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I'll end up watching the damn thing now.
Well, if that's the way you feel about the movie, I'd agree it would be a waste of resources upgrading. ;)
And I expect Frank didn't tell you he went to the wedding to spare your feelings.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just so everybody knows, Barnes & Noble currently has Harvey at 40 percent off. If you combine it with a member coupon and the $3 Universal coupon from previous 100th anniversary releases, you can bring this one home for under $12 before sales tax.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/323217/a-few-words-about-harvey-in-blu-ray#post_3967836
Just so everybody knows, Barnes & Noble currently has Harvey at 40 percent off. If you combine it with a member coupon and the $3 Universal coupon from previous 100th anniversary releases, you can bring this one home for under $12 before sales tax.
Did you do this already? I've never known BN to accept MQ in the past.

That said -- there are also some % off coupons available at LASERMOVIES BN Master coupon thread on DVDTalk (20% member and 15% nonmember) that are dated to start 8/30, but
already appear active. The coupons appear to work instore, but the online codes do not appear to work.

Potentially -- $16.19 - 10% member discount - 20% member coupon = $11.66

Another option is the BN Buzz code $5 off $15 which would drop it to 11.19 (obviously don't use your member discount).

The other problem might be finding it in-store. None of my usual stores list it in-stock and a FWIW, the same deal and price can be had with Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein

Don't want to derail the discussion thread, but since Adam started it, I'll pile on.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/323217/a-few-words-about-harvey-in-blu-ray#post_3967858
What's the B&N Buzz code thing? I'm not familiar with that one.
http://www.visa.com/barnesandnoble/

It's a VISA program you sign up. Supposedly it tracks some purchase on a card you link. I just used a card I don't I've made a purchase on in 4 years and
don't really plan to use. I think some folks may even have gotten by with a Prepaid VISA. Enter your text capable phone number and they'll send you a text with
a message and the discount code. It say use within 7 days to get $5 off $15 purchase. Apparently the code hasn't changed in many months and several folks
have used it more than once.

Recently several folks received a 15% code though I don't think I got that one. There also some Twitter and Facebook stuff I know nothing about so there may be
some other perks or offers.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Not all of the 13 were done in 4K. Some were 2K.

Not all of them are what we should properly call restorations. But from what I've seen, the 13 break down as:

To Kill A Mockingbird - Yes
All Quiet on the Western Front - Yes
Out of Africa (re-do) - No, just a great improvement on what had been released in 2010
Buck Privates - Yes, but not as successful as the other titles
Pillow Talk - Yes
The Sting - No
Jaws - Yes
The Birds - Not Seen Yet
Dracula - Not Seen Yet
Dracula (Spanish) - Not Seen Yet
Frankenstein - Not Seen Yet
Bride of Frankenstein - Not Seen Yet
Schindler's List - Not coming til 2013

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Kevin EK said:
Not all of the 13 were done in 4K.  Some were 2K. 
Not all of them are what we should properly call restorations.  But from what I've seen, the 13 break down as:
To Kill A Mockingbird - Yes
All Quiet on the Western Front - Yes
Out of Africa (re-do) - No, just a great improvement on what had been released in 2010
Buck Privates - Yes, but not as successful as the other titles
Pillow Talk - Yes
The Sting - No
Jaws - Yes
The Birds - Not Seen Yet
Dracula - Not Seen Yet
Dracula (Spanish) - Not Seen Yet
Frankenstein - Not Seen Yet
Bride of Frankenstein - Not Seen Yet
Schindler's List - Not coming til 2013
Thanks Kevin. Good info.
Hopefully ET is coming from a recent master

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert /t/323217/a-few-words-about-harvey-in-blu-ray/30#post_3968925
Thanks Kevin. Good info.
Hopefully ET is coming from a recent master
Sorry. Not recent. New.

4k Arri scan - 4k workflow - original negative.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/323217/a-few-words-about-harvey-in-blu-ray/30#post_3968929
Sorry. Not recent. New.

RAH
That's all what's needed, right?

Crawdaddy

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Robert Harris said:
Sorry.  Not recent.  New.
RAH
Great then. Just wondering why it wasn't listed as part of the Centennial "13" (I guess because then it would the Centennial "14" :))

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert /t/323217/a-few-words-about-harvey-in-blu-ray/30#post_3968937
Great then. Just wondering why it wasn't listed as part of the Centennial "13" (I guess because then it would the Centennial "14" )
Or more. But who's counting?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Harvey arrived today (all 6' 8" of him) and I'm thrilled to bits. Looks and sounds quite excellent, and the film is simply magical. Odd that as a child I was *immensely* frustrated by the absence on screen of a tall white rabbit, but now I accept *totally* the presence of the pooka the moment he makes his entrance.
What a film, what performances, what a lovely script; there are a number of tantalising clips in HD in the accompanying documentaries - I wouldn't mind seeing Winchester '73 on BD. Right now.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
I''m wondering where the 6'8" comes from? IIRC, Harvey is repeatedly referred to in the film as being a "six-foot rabbit", and at one point Dowd corrects Miss Kelley saying "Six feet three and a half inches. Now let's stick to the facts."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks