What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Spine number 29 in the Paramounts Presents series is Hal Ashby's Harold and Maude, a dark comedy from 1971.

Now "Newly Restored and Remastered," I'm seeing very little to distinguish this new release from that of the 2012 (now out of print) Criterion edition that was derived from an IP.

Nothing to see here, move along. The only advantage is that it's readily available.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from Criterion Blu-ray - No

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A great film and i did noticed that the new release has a different commentary with Larry Karaszewski and Cameron Crowe.
As well as an apparently upgraded audio track.

The only game in town, and worth the investment, provided one appreciates off-beat films.

It deserves to be seen, but is not for everyone.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
It's part black comedy and part romance but it's fun to watch. Have the Criterion release so i will pass on this but happy that Paramount took the time to release it on disc. I hope Catch-22 will be on Blu-ray soon.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Now "Newly Restored and Remastered," I'm seeing very little to distinguish this new release from that of the 2012 (now out of print) Criterion edition that was derived from an IP.
I have the Criterion blu ray; in the booklet, it says that for the 2012 restoration, the 35 mm interpositive was made from a wet-transfer film gate scan from the severely scratched original colour negative. Do you think that this Paramount Presents transfer is made from the same interpositive that was made then? Is there a limit on how many wet-transfer gate film scans can be made from a negative? It doesn't sound like this is the same upgrade in picture quality as the Nashville transfer, which was a 4K scan from the negative, compared to Criterion using a 2K scan from the interpositive on that title.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I think this film speaks to those of a certain age that lived in the Bay Area of the time. It has scenes of the old Dumbarton Bridge, now demolished. And it has some early work by people who later became celebrities in San Francisco. Steve Silver, later of "Beach Blanket Babylon" fame, did the interior set decoration of Maude's funky place. I got to know Steve slightly as he was my brother's college roommate at SJSU. I personally was a college freshman when the film arrived.

Film credits also include an unreconstructed Cat Stevens before his name change.

I have the old 2000 Paramount DVD, which I probably haven't viewed in 15 years.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Film credits also include an unreconstructed Cat Stevens before his name change.
Those Cat Stevens songs are classics - Don't Be Shy, If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out, On the Road to Find Out, I Wish, I Wish, Miles from Nowhere, Tea for the Tillerman, I Think I See the Light, Where Do the Children Play? and Trouble. Substantially more Cat Stevens than Simon and Garfunkel were on The Graduate. I would think reason enough to upgrade to this blu-ray for me, if it boasts an improved soundtrack over the Criterion.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's part black comedy and part romance but it's fun to watch. Have the Criterion release so i will pass on this but happy that Paramount took the time to release it on disc. I hope Catch-22 will be on Blu-ray soon.
I hope they finally put Scorsese’s Bringing Out The Dead on blu
I don't understand why people bring up other titles in a review about another title. Please, no more requests as I think it's kind of disrespectful to people wanting to comment and read about Harold and Maude. Thank you.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have the Criterion blu ray; in the booklet, it says that for the 2012 restoration, the 35 mm interpositive was made from a wet-transfer film gate scan from the severely scratched original colour negative. Do you think that this Paramount Presents transfer is made from the same interpositive that was made then? Is there a limit on how many wet-transfer gate film scans can be made from a negative? It doesn't sound like this is the same upgrade in picture quality as the Nashville transfer, which was a 4K scan from the negative, compared to Criterion using a 2K scan from the interpositive on that title.
There is no limit to the number of wet-gate elements, unless the lab wet-gates a negative that’s been lacquered or coated, at which point the negative turns to a solid block, not wishing to be unwound.

The new harvest is said to be from the OCN, and I have no reason to doubt it. Not certain if grain has been massaged.

Looks fine.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand why people bring up other titles in a review about another title. Please, no more requests as I think it's kind of disrespectful to people wanting to comment and read about Harold and Maude. Thank you.

I have been guilty of that, too but yeah, you're right that we should try not to do that.

Back to Harold and Maude: I have the Criterion release and I was wondering how much of an improvement Paramount was able to get out of this one. Apparently not much so that will be a pass for me.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have been guilty of that, too but yeah, you're right that we should try not to do that.

Back to Harold and Maude: I have the Criterion release and I was wondering how much of an improvement Paramount was able to get out of this one. Apparently not much so that will be a pass for me.
The Criterion is fine.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
I think it’s a noticeable improvement over the Criterion. Brighter, sharper, and much, much more colorful with finer grain. But it is one of my favorite films and I must have spun that Criterion disc about 20 times. Weirdly, I think I prefer the 5.1 mix on the Criterion over this. The Criterion sounds wider when the Cat Stevens songs kick in. This sounds muddier.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I think it’s a noticeable improvement over the Criterion. Brighter, sharper, and much, much more colorful with finer grain. But it is one of my favorite films and I must have spun that Criterion disc about 20 times. Weirdly, I think I prefer the 5.1 mix on the Criterion over this. The Criterion sounds wider when the Cat Stevens songs kick in. This sounds muddier.
Grain structure seems to have improved the most in the absence of significant high frequency detail:

With regard to the available detail in the negative they just did not have that much to work with.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Arrow did a wonderful edition of Slaughter House 5!! Another film falling within the H&M peramiters, LOL!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks