What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Halloween III Season of the Witch -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It's a close call in my mind. 5 at least has some characters that you like and it is a better movie but a lot of Resurrection ends up being inadvertently funny so I'd see an argument that Resurrection has more entertainment value than 5.

Watch this if you have not already

Shows pretty clearly how incompetent the director of H5 really was (also how myopic Moustapha Akkad could be, actually had Carpenter briefly somewhat back in the fold, but cut him loose, or maybe I’m thinking about 6, but still)

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was watching The Fog last night, hadn’t seen it in awhile and noticed a couple of similar things between that and HIII, well it’s really just kind of two things in one. There a part where we see shots of Adrienne Barbeau’s character driving to her radio station. The stretch of road she’s driving on looks very similar to the stretch of road we see in HIII en route to Santa Mira. Filmed in the same location? Also during those shots she’s listening to a piece of classical music that I believe is the same music played in HIII right before the woman gets the laser blast in her face.
I always thought it was the same area or relatively close but it looks like the majority of The Fog was shot at Point Reyes, CA (kinda near San Francisco) and Halloween III was shot near Loleta, CA which is closer to the top of the state.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I always thought it was the same area or relatively close but it looks like the majority of The Fog was shot at Point Reyes, CA (kinda near San Francisco) and Halloween III was shot near Loleta, CA which is closer to the top of the state.

The Fog was filmed in these locations, Point Reyes, California; Bolinas, California; Inverness, California; and the Episcopal Church of the Ascension in Sierra Madre, California. Point Reyes is where all the lighthouse scenes where shot.

Halloween III was filmed in the small coastal town of Loleta, California. Familiar Foods, a milk bottling plant in Loleta, served as the Silver Shamrock Novelties factory.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Since I was a Fangoria kid, I knew what to expect and loved the idea as I hated HALLOWEEN II. I heard the confusion in the audience opening weekend but I loved it then and now. It's a truly subversive approach but the film and marketing should have let the audience know what was in store. It falls apart because the budget can't hold the great idea but as others mentioned, Nigel Kneale's input alone, however altered, make this the only interesting script in the whole series. Debra Hill's brilliant notion to make it about computers was too ahead of the time. And Dan O'Herily's Halloween monologue is simply one of the great moments in genre film and nicely sums up the dark mythos behind the film and season. This is an EC Comics movie and the critics are just out of touch with their inner sanctum.

The 4K is a treat. I'm glad to see the film get love after all these years of numb endless sequels.
There's only two films in the series for me. Silver Shamrock...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This is an EC Comics movie...
I'm a huge fan of EC Comics and I never drew that parallel before but that's pretty accurate. While none of the EC books would have been as violent as HIII, the really savage idea of a guy wiping out millions of children and the just-miss-stopping-it-from-happening ending would have been right at home in any of the EC horror comic books.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I'm a huge fan of EC Comics and I never drew that parallel before but that's pretty accurate. While none of the EC books would have been as violent as HIII, the really savage idea of a guy wiping out millions of children and the just-miss-stopping-it-from-happening ending would have been right at home in any of the EC horror comic books.
EC Comics had some seriously violent and gruesome stories including killer Santas and axes in the head and razor blades in the hall...so I could see HIII fitting right in. Just re-watched the Amicus EC films (uncut) that are pretty fun and bloody for the day.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Three more days.....
john carpenter horror GIF by RETRO-FIEND

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members