What's new

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Somehow I got away with only ever buying the first film ONCE on DVD. Anyone know how this edition rates among all the different “color-timings”? Lol! View attachment 114526

I have both this and the edition from 2000 and from what I remember from watching them throughout the mid to late 2000's the picture quality looked good to me.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

I'm hearing a pretty big difference in dynamic range between these two mono tracks. Not so much on my laptop, but when played on my home theater system, the difference is substantial. The Scream Factory mono track sounds awful in comparison to the laserdisc. That's a major oversight if they used this crappy mono track again.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
On second thought, I canceled my Amazon pre-order. I’m gonna try out BestBuy or Target to see if I can buy it in-store. If I strike out I’ll place an Amazon order, but after how long it took for my Star Trek set, I want to secure early possession if I can. I don’t want Amazon delays to get my order to me after October 31st. I’m hoping BestBuy and/or Target are still setting up special horror display shelves for the Halloween season like they typically do. I don’t know if they still do such things but I’ll find out on Tuesday.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
On second thought, I canceled my Amazon pre-order. I’m gonna try out BestBuy or Target to see if I can buy it in-store. If I strike out I’ll place an Amazon order, but after how long it took for my Star Trek set, I want to secure early possession if I can. I don’t want Amazon delays to get my order to me after October 31st. I’m hoping BestBuy and/or Target are still setting up special horror display shelves for the Halloween season like they typically do. I don’t know if they still do such things but I’ll find out on Tuesday.
I read this and thought "That's possible but I ordered way ahead of time and it's a re-release of a movie that's been released on a million formats so how many copies can Amazon really go through? I'll be fine." Less than half an hour later, I got an e-mail from Amazon saying my order was delayed until October 25. You're either a psychic or a jinx. :laugh:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Now people are posting comparison shots with compression issues. I need to stop reading their posts. Ignorance is bliss.
Tell me about it. I wanted to buy this but now I'm torn. Maybe the compression issue is not so evident in motion, but the audio issue is to my ears.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tell me about it. I wanted to buy this but now I'm torn. Maybe the compression issue is not so evident in motion, but the audio issue is to my ears.
I think everyone with an order at Amazon should cancel their order immediately. Not because of any problem with the disc but just so I can get my copy from Amazon faster. :)

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
People on the internet...not here. They are raising concerns about the geometry as well. Was a 2.35 image stretched instead of matted, to achieve the original 2.39 ratio? People are saying it is stretched, as well as poorly compressed.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
People on the internet...not here. They are raising concerns about the geometry as well. Was a 2.35 image stretched instead of matted, to achieve the original 2.39 ratio? People are saying it is stretched, as well as poorly compressed.

Halloween has always been 2.35.1

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Yes, this is where the frustration comes from. We're supposed to trust Dean Cundey, but every time he touches the film and "approves" a transfer, it looks different than the last one he "approved," and different from the one before that, and ....

I agree that it's unlikely he even recalls how this film is supposed to look 40+ years on. Apparently it should look however he feels it should on the day he's in the studio to view and "approve" the transfer.
Same thing happened with The Thing and the Shout, Arrow.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
2.35 / 2.39 / 2.40 are essentially the same thing - one shouldn’t be concerned about the differences between them. The spec used to be 2.35 but was changed to what is now called 2.39 or 2.40 (depending on who is doing the labeling) to hide potential splice marks at the top/bottom of frame.

Due to projection angles, aperture plates and theatrical geometry, no theatrical screening has ever been as precise as a home video transfer will be.

It’s a non-issue brought up by enthusiastic amateurs who don’t understand how theatrical aspect ratios and projection work and mistake something that’s nothing for a big deal.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I know that info. Not sure others do. My concern was that they took the image and stretched it a bit from 2.35 to 2.39 instead of matting it. I am a bit concerned about the compression. One cap I saw had lots of macroblocking artifacts. It could have been exacerbated by that pic compressed online, though.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It’s a non-issue brought up by enthusiastic amateurs who don’t understand how theatrical aspect ratios and projection work and mistake something that’s nothing for a big deal.
I.E people on the internet. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks