What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I won't buy it again for "the original mono track".
I would.

Me:
Lucia on Twitter: You bitch! RT @nesszillaa: @Luchsucks BAM! I don't  think you need more proof 😏 http://t.co/1cDICSuZ

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
This would explain why all his commentary tracks are from 20-30 years ago.

I found the link. This is an interview from October 2017 (which is incidentally after the "supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey" Arrow Blu-ray of The Thing was completed and in the pipeline for release):

Is it true you never watch your old films?

Oh God, no. Don’t ever make me do that.

But your films are widely viewed as all-time classics, John.

I don’t want to see them again. I see the mistakes. That’s all I can see. It’d be torture. Are you kidding? I don’t want anything to do with them after I’m done.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I think newly approved transfers look different each time because the reference monitors can change from studio to studio. There are differences between an Eizo LCD, a Sony PVM, a Sony BVM, JVC, or WRGB OLEDs... some looks cool and some look pink and I'm sure whatever is being used (providing it's a properly calibrated monitor) the final approved tone can change somewhat. And now we've got evolving HDR workflows and how (not) to use them. I can see how one could want to make a different approved image on better studio reference equipment... or else the Sony BVM CRT would still be used like in the day of DVD and early Blu-ray. Those approvals would be all outdated in my opinion...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think newly approved transfers look different each time because the reference monitors can change from studio to studio. There are differences between an Eizo LCD, a Sony PVM, a Sony BVM, JVC, or WRGB OLEDs... some looks cool and some look pink and I'm sure whatever is being used (providing it's a properly calibrated monitor) the final approved tone can change somewhat. And now we've got evolving HDR workflows and how (not) to use them. I can see how one could want to make a different approved image on better studio reference equipment... or else the Sony BVM CRT would still be used like in the day of DVD and early Blu-ray. Those approvals would be all outdated in my opinion...

Great points.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Is the included Blu-ray from the new scan?
Yep.
DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

• NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Camera Negative, Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey

Full specs from Shout's site:
DISC ONE (4K UHD):

• NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Camera Negative, Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
  • NEW Dolby Atmos Track
  • Audio Commentary With Co-Writer/Director John Carpenter And Actress Jamie Lee Curtis
  • Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey, Editor Tommy Lee Wallace, And Actor Nick Castle
DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

• NEW Dolby Atmos Track
  • Audio Commentary With John Carpenter And Jamie Lee Curtis
  • Audio Commentary With Dean Cundey, Tommy Lee Wallace, And Nick Castle
  • “The Night She Came Home” Featurette
  • Halloween Unmasked 2000” Featurette
  • TV Version Additional Scenes
  • Trailers From Hell – Adam Rifkin On Halloween
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • TV Spots
  • Radio Spots
  • NBC Broadcast TV Promo
  • NEW Newspaper Ad Still Gallery By Drive-In Asylum
  • Still Gallery
DISC THREE (BLU-RAY):

• Original Blu-ray Color Timing Presentation
  • Vintage Interview With Producer Moustapha Akkad
  • Halloween: A Cut Above The Rest” Featurette
  • Halloween – The Extended Cut In HD (TV Inserts Are In Standard Definition)
  • NEW The Broadcast Television Cut (In Standard Definition, 1.33:1)
  • Horror’s Hallowed Grounds – A Look At The Original Filming Locations
  • Horror’s Hallowed Grounds Bus Tour From The Halloween Convention

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
People on another forum are complaining that the mono has been filtered on the past few releases, and that extends to the new release. They say the laserdisc had clearer sound with more bass. I honestly can't hear the difference on the comparison videos someone posted. I must be missing something.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
People on another forum are complaining that the mono has been filtered on the past few releases, and that extends to the new release. They say the laserdisc had clearer sound with more bass. I honestly can't hear the difference on the comparison videos someone posted. I must be missing something.
Listening to the comparisons in the posted video, I hear zero difference. Maybe they're completely right but I can't get worried about what I can't hear. There's such a thing as being too fanatical.

crowe-t

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
I listened to a couple and I can hear subtle differences in some scenes but not all. There is a bit more bass at times.

Overall the laserdisc's mono isn't a whole lot better. I'm looking forward to the new ATMOS track. It sounds like it's a nice improvement over the previous 5.1 track.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Criterion probably applied a different EQ curve to the DME when they transfered it in 1994. Doesm't make it more accurate though.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Thanks RAH- funny I just ordered this blind on Tuesday but wasn’t sure if I should order as I’d thought thatthis already had already been released on 4K. Missed it the first time and never cared for the HD Blu-rays- definitely looking forward to this.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Yes, but the changes Cundey inflicted on the 35th Anniversary Blu-ray go way beyond that. He completely rethought how he wanted the movie to look. It wasn't a subtle "this monitor has slightly better calibration" difference.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
One of the most polarizing titles to ever be put on a home video format, indeed; the threads concerning the color timing opinions over the years, alone, are legendary in their tendency to drive people to absolute madness before devolving into personal threats and intimidation (I can recall that).

I even had the Blockbuster VHS release of this title!

s-l1600.jpg

To me, the definitive version of this absolute classic -- taking raw resolution out of the equation -- will always be Anchor Bay's THX DVD, of which I own the later-released standalone one-disc package (with the mask on the front and no slipcase/lenticular cover, like the special edition two-disc sets boasted). It just FEELS more like fall in Illinois instead of California in the spring/summer (even though those pesky palm trees during some sequences depicting Laurie and the girls walking through the Haddonfield neighborhood were never edited out and still irk me).

41CJBZZSQFL.jpg

I have been watching this EVERY October 31st from as far back as I can remember, and I have always gravitated to the THX DVD; I did buy the original Anchor Bay/Starz Blu-ray release when it came out around 07 or so, but that transfer never blew my skirt up, either -- again, greens looked too bright and the end sequences with Laurie hiding from The Shape in the kitchen didn't boast that blue tint that made the mood so unsettling IMO. Also, noise was prevalent in far too many scenes on that Anchor Bay BD, notably in darker areas such as when Loomis is telling Lonnie to "get his ass away" from the Myers house...

Anyway, I was thrilled to learn that Scream was putting these out in 4K, especially since they had already released that joint box set with Anchor Bay containing all the films in the franchise, as my collection of the films in the series is all over the place in terms of media. I don't care for anything past five (and I can't really tolerate that one; to me, the series ended at four, regardless of the open-ended conclusion featuring the now-very-sexy Danielle Harris) so my Halloween collection consists of the original in THX DVD form plus two, three and four on DVD, and the original Anchor Bay release of the first film on Blu and the 2018 "sequel" on Blu, as well.

It would be nice to have all five entries I'm interested in on one format, in one place on my shelf -- but, alas, there are a few things stopping me. First, I run a Samsung edge-lit LCD which suffers from horrendous blooming/light bleed with HDR content (and SDR isn't that far behind, even with correct settings for a dark room and the backlight reduced to reflect a 100c/m target), so with a dark film like Halloween, there's no way the disc is going to look good in my setup.

Secondly, I just can't drop the coin needed to get all five discs right now, which is how I'd love to buy them.

Last edited:

crowe-t

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
My favorite look for the original Halloween is the 1999 THX DVD. It has the feeling of Autumn. However on a 4K TV it just doesn't pop like HD or 4K. I picked up the Lionsgate 4K disc when it came out and I never liked it. The pumpkin in the opening credits is so desaturated it looks almost gray not to mention the whole movie lacks any real color and is way too dark in my opinion. The last few years I've been watching the 2007 Blu-Ray that came with the Lionsgate 4K because it has more color and is brighter. I'm not happy with it but until this year I didn't have too much of a choice.

I can't wait till my copies of Shouts H1 - H5 arrive. The screenshots I've seen of H1 look great! H1 doesn't have the mono from the Criterion Laserdisc but that's OK. I have a surround system and would rather watch it with the new ATMOS anyway.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
My favorite look for the original Halloween is the 1999 THX DVD. It has the feeling of Autumn. However on a 4K TV it just doesn't pop like HD or 4K.
I guess I can agree with that; there's no pop, but, honestly, with a good upconverting player (I'm using a Panasonic UB9000 right now) the disc looks surprisingly satisfying....even in detail and color saturation.

In comparison, the original Starz/Anchor Bay Blu-ray from 07 or so is brighter and crisper -- but the transfer just "lacks" something and seems noisier to me.
I picked up the Lionsgate 4K disc when it came out and I never liked it. The pumpkin in the opening credits is so desaturated it looks almost gray not to mention the whole movie lacks any real color and is way too dark in my opinion. The last few years I've been watching the 2007 Blu-Ray that came with the Lionsgate 4K because it has more color and is brighter. I'm not happy with it but until this year I didn't have too much of a choice.
That's surprising about the Lionsgate disc -- glad I didn't pick that one up. Was it graded with Dolby Vision or regular HDR10?
I can't wait till my copies of Shouts H1 - H5 arrive. The screenshots I've seen of H1 look great! H1 doesn't have the mono from the Criterion Laserdisc but that's OK. I have a surround system and would rather watch it with the new ATMOS anyway.
Indeed; even the reworked Dolby Digital 5.1 mix on the later DVDs, as prepared by Chase Studios, sounds great with a punchy bass undertone and awesome, subtle surround work.

crowe-t

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
I guess I can agree with that; there's no pop, but, honestly, with a good upconverting player (I'm using a Panasonic UB9000 right now) the disc looks surprisingly satisfying....even in detail and color saturation.

In comparison, the original Starz/Anchor Bay Blu-ray from 07 or so is brighter and crisper -- but the transfer just "lacks" something and seems noisier to me.

That's surprising about the Lionsgate disc -- glad I didn't pick that one up. Was it graded with Dolby Vision or regular HDR10?

Indeed; even the reworked Dolby Digital 5.1 mix on the later DVDs, as prepared by Chase Studios, sounds great with a punchy bass undertone and awesome, subtle surround work.
The 1999 THX DVD looks good on my TV but still looks soft. I think since the disc has both the widescreen and pan and scan versions on the one disc they suffer in quality a bit. I do have other DVD's that look sharper. However it's still my favorite version.

I don't really like the 2007 transfer but at least it has an Autumn look in the daytime and is nice and sharp.

The Lionsgate 4K is very undersaturated and dark in the daytime scenes. The opening credits look strange to me. The pumpkin is very undersaturated. I always watch the whole movie including the opening credits and I can't even look at them on the Lionsgate 4K. It's one of many reasons I don't watch it. I only paid $8 for it with shipping but you aren't missing anything not having it.

I always liked the 5.1 mix even though a lot of 'fans' say it lacks punch. I agree with you that it has punchy bass and subtle surround work.

BTW, I have the Blockbuster VHS too. I have a copy I watched and 2 additional copies still in shrink wrap I had as backups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go2go
Recent bookmarks