What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gothic -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Going in, one must be aware that this is a Ken Russell film, which sets it apart from anything routine.

And it's not The Boy Friend.

In an odd way, I almost see it as a continuation of his Omnibus television work - Song of Summer, Dante's Inferno.

Produced basically on (in) a single set, on a small budget, and with a basic cast of five, it's a seemingly drug or alcohol induced trip, visiting the underworld.

Or possibly not.

Spend a couple of rainy days, and commune with the Shelleys and Lord Byron and friends, and possibly you'll understand the meaning or basis of the Modern Prometheus.

Possibly not for the uninitiated, but a definite must-have for Russell fans, Lionsgate's new Blu-ray (their Vestron series) is a gorgeous representation of the film, with some quality extras.

Color, grain structure, shadow detail all come across beautifully.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Glad to hear it. While a huge Russell fan, (especially for the BBC historical films such as SONG OF SUMMER) I never managed to see this film. Somewhere I read a review that disparaged the technical qualities of the Blu-Ray, which made me less enthusiastic, but now with the RAH Seal of Approval, I can't wait.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Fantastic! I'd forgotten this was coming. Great news indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks