What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Godzilla vs. Biollante -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It finally occurred in 1989.

As described in a featurette on this Echo Bridge / Miramax Blu-ray, the filmmakers behind Godzilla vs. Biollante came to the realization that a spin-off the likes of Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman was not the way to go in keeping the series (going strong since 1954) alive.

Apparently, the film reached American shores via Miramax in 1992, and has a following.

I was a bit concerned as I gave this disc a spin, but everything seems to have been done correctly. While obviously not off the original negative, the image quality is very representative of what an effects film of the era should look like, with elements imported from Japan. While the image doesn't jump off the screen, as it might in the 1998 American production, it's fine.

Audio, which was originally Dolby SR, is DTS 5.1 in original Japanese, and sub-titles are sharp and easy to read.

This is a quality Blu-ray from Echo Bridge.

For collectors of all things Godzilla, this is an essential disc, and priced at $7.99 at Amazon...

Please be aware that this film has been rated PG for TGV*.

Image - 3.75

Audio - 5

RAH

* Traditional Godzilla Violence.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I watched this last night and the film itself pretty much lives up (or down, depending on how you see it) to everything you'd expect from an eighties era G movie. I felt the black levels were pretty poor, but other than that it looks as decent as Mr. Harris mentions. By the way Robert, I absolutely LOVED the "Rated PG for traditional Godzilla Violence" warning. Classic!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks