What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ginger Shaps -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Trying to get a few words out about John Fawcett's Ginger Snaps before the appropriate holiday season.

Ginger Snaps is a very good little Canadian production about lycanthropy, from an unusual, female teen perspective.  The concept works.

Scream Factory's Blu-ray, which arrived in July -- yes, I'm still trying to catch up with things -- is a very decently rendered disc.  Color, resolution, shadow detail are all very acceptable.  Only problem, and it's a small one in this case, is a bit of edge enhancement.  I'm presuming that this transfer has a few years of bottle age.

Bottom line.

A Very good looking Blu-ray, marred only by slight enhancement.  Audio, in DTS-HD MA is fine.

Interesting, quality film.  Very nice disc.

Image - 3.75

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Robert Harris said:
Only problem, and it's a small one in this case, is a bit of edge enhancement. I'm presuming that this transfer has a few years of bottle age.

RAH
Its my pet hate on blu ray, i tend to notice it, in fact i cannot stand it if it's bad enough to produce any halo effects.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
FoxyMulder said:
Its my pet hate on blu ray, i tend to notice it, in fact i cannot stand it if it's bad enough to produce any halo effects.
This one's not terribly obvious. Sit back and enjoy.

RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Robert Harris said:
This one's not terribly obvious. Sit back and enjoy.

RAH
As you know i like caps, tried to track down some of this film, found this shot, it looks bad, i hope it's an isolated moment.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=4454&disc2=4463&cap1=41375&cap2=41466&art=full&image=4&hd_multiID=1828&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

In the seventies they used to advertise Ready Brek ( i think that's the name ) and would add some halo's around people to show you the difference it made when you ate it, it looks like Mimi and the guy in the link above have had some of that. :D

Shout seems to put out a lot of "enhanced" product onto blu ray, obviously better than the dvd but you expect that, the only question mark for me is this, do Shout use digital tools or is this just what they are supplied and have to roll with.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
FoxyMulder said:
As you know i like caps, tried to track down some of this film, found this shot, it looks bad, i hope it's an isolated moment.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=4454&disc2=4463&cap1=41375&cap2=41466&art=full&image=4&hd_multiID=1828&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

In the seventies they used to advertise Ready Brek ( i think that's the name ) and would add some halo's around people to show you the difference it made when you ate it, it looks like Mimi and the guy in the link above have had some of that. :D

Shout seems to put out a lot of "enhanced" product onto blu ray, obviously better than the dvd but you expect that, the only question mark for me is this, do Shout use digital tools or is this just what they are supplied and have to roll with.
It's not up to Shout. Their desire is to put out quality releases, which is why I respect them. They are generally tied to extant masters.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks