What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Some of us are privy to advanced 'screener copies'. Just saying.
True. I leave blank disc out in the wild overnight. I’m certain the finals come from alien space lasers.

The studio normally follows up with packaging.

Presume you’ve received your Top Gun Maverick, a fun film, unless the underlying lit suit takes it down.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
True. I leave blank disc out in the wild overnight. I’m certain the finals come from alien space lasers.

The studio normally follows up with packaging.

Presume you’ve received your Top Gun Maverick, a fun film, unless the underlying lit suit takes it down.
I used to get them mysteriously delivered by stork, until my landlord cleaned my windows. Now I have to use Amazon.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Too young to see a PG-13 film? You must have been super young. I was going to R rated films at a very young age without a parent. They just wanted your money.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Too young to see a PG-13 film? You must have been super young. I was going to R rated films at a very young age without a parent. They just wanted your money.

That probably varies some. In my experience, there's (at least used to be) a lot of misconception about the MPAA ratings and their enforcement.

I recall not being allowed to attend an R-rated horror flick w/ my parents at least once back in early 80's here in Brooklyn -- think it was for Wolfen or maybe Howling. And in college during the mid/late-80's, my friends would used to give me a ribbing about being too young for R-rated flicks because I wasn't 18 yet (even though the rating is actually for 17)...

_Man_

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Lol people are taking my cheeky post really seriously.

So, a serious answer…

1. Yes, I was super young.
2. Where I grew up, the only way to get to the theater was by car. And my parents were too helicopter to ever dream of dropping me off with a fiver to see whatever I wanted. More because I could get kidnapped (lol), less because I might see a boob.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I remember coming home from school at age 5-6 (in 1955-56), plunking down a nickel for the afternoon show, and enjoying the movie all by myself, regardless of what was playing.
6 cents for the evening show. But that was with my mother. Every evening. Different show every day. What a film education!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
It's here!

Looking forward to spending some time with Leslie, Bick, and Jett this evening.

289721881_570925011083958_8200978677385004547_n.jpg

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
The shots that are not dupes (about 50 percent) look beautiful. George Junior says they used Eastman Color and were not able to get true greens on the grass. They had to do lab work because the grass came out brown and it still does in some shots. Why are there so many dupe dissolves in this film? You lose a lot of the performance because they are so muddy and blurry. When you download the digital version, all of the extras from recent releases are there including the best one, MEMORIES OF GIANT. I never get tired of watching that documentary.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
The shots that are not dupes (about 50 percent) look beautiful. George Junior says they used Eastman Color and were not able to get true greens on the grass. They had to do lab work because the grass came out brown and it still does in some shots. Why are there so many dupe dissolves in this film? You lose a lot of the performance because they are so muddy and blurry. When you download the digital version, all of the extras from recent releases are there including the best one, MEMORIES OF GIANT. I never get tired of watching that documentary.

George Stevens was a big fan of lap dissolves around this time (i.e. A Place in the Sun, not so much Shane) and therefore that's what they did.

I bought mine today in an actual store!!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The problem is NOT that Mr. Stevens wanted to use dissolves.

The problem is that the Warner lab used single strand negatives for their printing.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
In case you don't want to buy a copy, HBO Max has upgraded their stream to 4k and Dolby Vision.

Also the review at the other site (by the actually useful Mr. Miller, and not the increasingly insufferable Atanasov) echoes the possible use of DNR I noticed in the Caps-A-Holic comparison.

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
In case you don't want to buy a copy, HBO Max has upgraded their stream to 4k and Dolby Vision.

Also the review at the other site (by the actually useful Mr. Miller, and not the increasingly insufferable Atanasov) echoes the possible use of DNR I noticed in the Caps-A-Holic comparison.
Slight grain "management", but it looks a LOT better than the Blu-ray which has a lot more color noise that can be mistaken as more grain. The Blu-ray also has compression artifacts. No contest really.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
This is amazing to read and think about. I thought "Giant" was in black and white.
I must have seen it on television when I was a child. I don't know.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This is amazing to read and think about. I thought "Giant" was in black and white.
I must have seen it on television when I was a child. I don't know.
Considering the problematic nature of the elements, it probably would have been better in black and white TBQH.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I watched this on Prime yesterday, although it would be more accurate to say I struggled through it (after giving up on it in the past). I know that George Stevens won the AA for directing but it looked very flat to me, and the framing at 1.66 was awful. This aspect ratio seemed to be an unusual choice for a big epic movie in the mid 1950s, particularly for American films (it was a popular choice in Britain). I kept thinking of The Big Country and how it would have been different if a director like William Wyler had been at the helm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks