What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gambit -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Looking back at Ronald Neame's 1966 Gambit, one might think that Shirley MacLaine and Michael Caine were the new young kids on the black, but they already had cinema history behind them.

Mr. Neame, who had already had dual careers behind him - Cinematographer and Producer, had already been in the industry for some 35 years. Cinematographer on Major Barbara (edited by David Lean), One of Our Aircraft is Missing, In Which We Serve, This Happy Breed, Blithe Spirit, Brief Encounter - notice a pattern here?

Producer on Great Expectations (probably the greatest of the Dickens films), Oliver Twist, The Magic Box, Tunes of Glory and The Horses Mouth (edited by Anne Coates) et al. - there's that pattern again.

So by the time he was directing Gambit, a lovely heist trifle, he knew what he was doing.

Which makes Gambit precisely a delightful cinematic hors d'oeurve, in a special British style.

Kino has released the film, new to Blu-ray, and it's a lovely affair.

Color pops off the screen. Grain structure is constant and proper. Black levels are dead on, and the image is rock steady.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4

Upgrade from DVD - Certainly

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended!

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Neame came by it naturally. I presume everyone knows who his mother was.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I presume everyone knows who his mother was.
1661338403597.png

Portrack (and this plaque) are in Stockton-on-Tees, very local to me, in the NE of England...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emking
Recent bookmarks