What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Funny Girl -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
From what I have read the problem was not Streisand but the producer Ray Stark who actually had the nerve to tell Wyler how to direct.
He also reedited the film after Wyler's first cut to what he wanted overriding one of the great directors of all times.

Further editing of the film after Wyler's first cut is totally understandable, and exactly what would be expected, unless Wyler had final cut as a provision in his contract. I have absolutely no idea what was in Wyler's contract, but final cut is certainly not something granted to every film director. The idea of the director being totally in charge of the final product is mistaken.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/theater/barbra-streisand-sets-the-record-straight.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/theater&action=click&contentCollection=theater&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Great interview with Barbra where the writer mentions that he was shown the complete version of The Swan from Funny Girl. Barbra has it in her personal film archive.

"It means I get to see, in the screening room of the Barn, Ms Streisand's uncut sequence of herself as Fanny Brice, performing "Swan Lake" in Funny Girl. She supplies a running annotation as we watch, which includes speaking in character the unrecorded dialogue that Fanny was saying on screen." Ah to be a fly on the wall.

Why couldn't Sony get her to do a commentary like this on the blu ray.

Article also mentions her researcher has used Matt Howe's fan site Barbra Archives in his research for her upcoming autobiography. She says she has not looked at the site but the researcher has. ( Well maybe). Matt sometimes posts here as Babs Dude.

Her remake of Gypsy is apparently on hold again. Its a shame because it sounds like she has some really good ideas about the role. Not surprising.

Last edited:

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I can't speak to the editing of the "Swan Lake" parody, but I was saddened by the fact that a screen credit for the great Tommy Rall, Streisand's partner in the "Swan Lake" parody, was omitted.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I can't speak to the editing of the "Swan Lake" parody, but I was saddened by the fact that a screen credit for the great Tommy Rall, Streisand's partner in the "Swan Lake" parody, was omitted.

Very true. At the time it was his first film role in ten years. Perhaps he did not want to be billed since it was a small role, with no dialogue, that was cut down to a few minutes. Screen billing is included in the contract signed to do the film. His contract would have stated what his billing would be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks