What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Frenzy -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hitchcock's Frenzy, a 1972 British production, is a gorgeous film, filled with the darkest form of Hitchcockian humour.

I love it, and have from day one.

The Blu-ray is a mixed bag, and obviously should not be.

The main title sequence has been replaced with the original, but that original could have used a new scan. It's certainly serviceable.

The image, which appears to have been derived from an older master, has been gently sharpened.

Better to have left it.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

Recommended.

RAH

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Robert Harris said:
Hitchcock's Frenzy, a 1972 British production, is a gorgeous film, filled with the darkest form of Hitchcockian humour.
I love it, and have from day one.
The Blu-ray is a mixed bag, and obviously should not be.
The main title sequence has been replaced with the original, but that original could have used a new scan.  It's certainly serviceable.
The image, which appears to have been derived from an older master, has been gently sharpened.
Better to have left it.
Image - 3.5
Audio - 4
Recommended.
RAH
This appears to be one of those, this is a shame, but could have been worse, I suppose.
In an ideal world I'd love everything in the boxed-set to be a 5 - even the FBI warnings!
But, on balance, I think this is maybe the worst of the ones I want in the set (so far). If 3/5 is as bad as it gets...well, as I say, it's a shame it's not better, but it could have been worse. I know some will say it's wrong to settle for second best, but "...gently sharpened...Recommended" is not the end of the world. **
And if we're honest, it could have been.
I wonder - what's the best overall boxed-set we've had? Say 6 or more films.
Has there ever been a box with that many films that's got everything right?
Steve W
** Actually, just remembered that Rear Window is only a 3. Hmmm.
SW

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
So what you are saying that early review from Nick that specified that the title sequence had been re-done and mispellings, has been fixed with the films original titles back in place?

Still makes you wonder how one could make so many mistakes... I mean side by side comparisons ... well what can you say.. but someone probably lost a job. (maybe)

JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Given that I already have North by Northwest on Blu-ray, I'm inclined to order the less expensive Hitchcock set from the UK (which doesn't have that title). However, one thing I'm concerned about is making sure that the UK version will include the corrected Frenzy titles and any other last-minute fixes that Universal made to the U.S. set. I don't suppose anyone has any info on that?
I'd hate to import the UK box set, only to find that Universal UK didn't bother to make these changes.
RAH, would your contacts at Universal be able to comment on that? [You should probably tell them that the question comes from a UK reader. :) ]

MatS

Screenwriter
JoshZ said:
Given that I already have North by Northwest on Blu-ray, I'm inclined to order the less expensive Hitchcock set from the UK (which doesn't have that title). However, one thing I'm concerned about is making sure that the UK version will include the corrected Frenzy titles and any other last-minute fixes that Universal made to the U.S. set. I don't suppose anyone has any info on that?
I'd hate to import the UK box set, only to find that Universal UK didn't bother to make these changes.
RAH, would your contacts at Universal be able to comment on that? [You should probably tell them that the question comes from a UK reader. :) ]
both sets were delayed for fixes ... They will be the same tranfers as those reviewed here (US)

JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
MatS said:
both sets were delayed for fixes ... They will be the same tranfers as those reviewed here (US)
I would like to assume so, but I just don't have that much faith in Universal. Especially not Universal UK, after the debacle of their David Lynch box set this year.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Oddly enough, the set is $25 cheaper on amazon.ca than amazon.com, which never happens...
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B008DKHTXU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1H8DHE46S220X0DNYHMW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1375923922&pf_rd_i=915398

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
JoshZ said:
I would like to assume so, but I just don't have that much faith in Universal. Especially not Universal UK, after the debacle of their David Lynch box set this year.
The UK set was the one initially criticized, and I can't see any other reason to delay its release by a month. I have less faith in Universal than just about anyone, but I have no doubt that the credits issue has been addressed on the UK set.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
The credit sequence of Frenzy is pretty bad. I'm not sure why but there's some kind of digital mosquito noise buzzing around the edges of the credits. Like some kind of temporal noise reduction. It's curious because other places in the frame are rife with grain. Once the credits end there is noise reduction going on coupled with some edge enhancement but it seems to come and go in severity.
It's not completely awful though and it looks better than a lot of other Universal catalog titles.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Well, watched Frenzy last night, and have to say that it's the best I've ever seen it. In the interest of full disclosure, however, I must admit that I currently only have a 42" screen.
One of my all-time favorite Hitchcock's

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Definitely an older master (same as the velvet DVD is my guess) and with the typical "let's fix this as best we can" mentality. It's not a disaster but this should look terrific, the last gorgeous-looking Hitchcock film. I haven't done my tally yet and I still have Saboteur, Shadow, and Rope to go and then I'll start watching each in its entirety, but the bad so far outweighs the good, I'm afraid.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
In this case, I wouldn't use "sharp" as a compliment. I was able to view this and found the artificial sharpness to be downright distracting in too many scenes. On some levels it looks good, but it only makes me think that it could have looked a lot better.
mikeyhitchfan said:
It looks very good to me, too. Sharp and colorful, maybe a bit if DVNR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avinrulez