What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Frankenweenie -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To the best of my knowledge, Tim Burton's Frankenweenie, from Disney, is the first modern 3D black & white production. And it's quite beautiful. The story is basically your standard boy and his dog... but with a bit of grave-robbing thrown in. A beautiful film, for all ages, this tale of young Victor and his pet Sparky, owes a bit to an odd group -- Mary Shelley, Colin Clive, James Whale and Arthur Edeson. A great presentation in 3D, with a high data throughput, this disc gives us a perfect gray scale, and presumably based upon its 2k DI, an absolutely gorgeous Blu-ray experience. Rounding out the technical, is audio presented in DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1. A wonderful film for the entire family, and your basic "how-to" for kids who want to grow up to be either grave-robbers, or have a career in motion picture animation. Great film. Great Blu-ray. This is one to add to the collection. Highly Recommended. RAH

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Just the fact that it has "weenie" in the title is an easy sell to me. Of course, the 3D helps a bit too. I'm sure my 2 "wieners" will enjoy it as well. ;)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I've been wondering if this was actually photographed in black & white, or if Burton just painted all the stop-motion characters and models in shades of gray.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
They photographed it both ways and decided black and white looked better. There is quite a bit about it in the special features. They even changed the colors of a lot of the props to work better with B&W. It is a great making of feature that shows just how much effort went into it.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Kris Deering said:
They photographed it both ways and decided black and white looked better. There is quite a bit about it in the special features. They even changed the colors of a lot of the props to work better with B&W. It is a great making of feature that shows just how much effort went into it.
OK, so the props were in color, but they graded the photography to black & white? With a stop-motion production like this, they could theoretically have painted everything gray and shot it with regular color photography for a similar result.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
JoshZ said:
OK, so the props were in color, but they graded the photography to black & white? With a stop-motion production like this, they could theoretically have painted everything gray and shot it with regular color photography for a similar result.
One of the featurettes has an interview with an actor discussing how off-putting it was working in gray sets, with gray props. And the hours spent in makeup.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Robert Harris said:
One of the featurettes has an interview with an actor discussing how off-putting it was working in gray sets, with gray props. And the hours spent in makeup.
That was Warwick Davis in the dog costume, right?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Kris Deering said:
I've got to get around to watching this, but have been putting it off. Ever since the previews with the kid saying "I don't want him in my heart, I want here with me." Just tore me apart each time I saw the preview. What kid (and this adult included) hasn't felt that? Didn't it cost more to shoot both ways? Color is more expensive isn't it? Or did you mean they experimented with both ways and chose black and white? BTW, wsn't the original Frankenstein makeup designed to look good in black and white? It was garish looking in person wasn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks