What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Foxy Brown -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Foxy Brown (1974) and its predecessor, Coffy (1973) both feature Pam Grier in the lead roles, and there are many that would point to Ms Grier as the quintessential black action heroine.  In a way, she seems to have changed the texture of that certain kind of exploitation film, and it's all good.

Never heard of Foxy or Coffy?

How about Jackie Brown via Quentin Tarantino?

Regardless, these are fun films, both late AIP releases, and as offered by MGM via Olive, look very nice.

Weren't around in the '70s?

Doesn't matter.  You'll get the lay of the land the moment the main title music and psychedelic artwork hits your screen.  Color, especially in that main title sequence, looks superb, especially as the lab work was Movielab.

With over fifty films to her credit, over five decades, Pam Grier appears to be her own cottage industry, and while the majority of her films don't fall into "stand the test of time / classic" categories, they do stand the test of just plain fun.

The Blu-ray looks fine.  It appears to be derived from an IP, and retains a film-like look, with occasional minus density, which is this case is not a bad thing, as it makes it look like a print.

Both films are directed by Jack Hill, who also gave us The Swinging Cheerleaders and Spider Baby.  An interesting, eclectic, and fun filmmaker.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 4.25

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And Pit Stop, a late discovery and revelation for me just a week ago. I said then that I'll seek these out, and now it is written.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
COFFY is my favorite Pam Grier movie. Not sure if I'll get this release or eventually the Arrow one. Glad to know these turned out well.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
bgart13 said:
COFFY is my favorite Pam Grier movie. Not sure if I'll get this release or eventually the Arrow one. Glad to know these turned out well.

If you're Region B-capable, I would suggest the Arrow release. The A/V quality is probably just as good or better, and the Arrow is (ahem) stacked with supplements (including new interviews), and also sports SDH subs for the film if you need them.

The same goes for Foxy Brown, but to be fair, Olive was able to somehow get a 24-bit DTS-HD MA 5.1 track for that release, if you want a multichannel remix.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Looks like my "Fox in a Box" DVD collection may be getting slowly upgraded. Pam was and still is fantastic.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
From what I've seen, the Arrow and Olive transfers are definitely struck from the same master. The Olive has a bit more minus density, as RAH mentions, that has been cleaned up in the Arrow presentation. And contrast/colors are perhaps slightly different. But I stress "slightly." Only side-by-side would one really detect a difference. Overall, the real difference is extras. Arrow has tons, Olive has zilch. Buy according to your supplement needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks