What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Fox Cinema Archives - DVD (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
To what Nick said, Fox could do something smart and rip-off Warner. Fox does have their own movie channel so they could always start showing some of their older movies instead of re-playing each one every few days. They could also, like TCM, advertise which films are available on MOD, point them to their webpage and this here might help sales. I'm not sure how much TCM helps the Warner Archive sales but at least there's an effort going on whereas Fox just keeps everything in a vault and this includes some pretty big movie stars.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
Nick's post says it all. If the studios care enough to preserve their product for posterity, they would not waste any more time and get started on this. But how do you get them to care?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Personally, I've always been of the opinion that you cannot 'make' someone care about anything they quite simply don't want to care about. Studios are all about dollars and cents. You could simply boycott their product but then they would likely use the lack of sales as a justification for not releasing anything that is older than three years to the market and say that their research simply bears out that 'old movies' don't sell.

A better approach would be to flood the home video apparatuses of various studios with your well composed, passionate letters, imploring them to rethink their philosophies. One letter means nothing. Ten is a joke. 100,000 letters piling in en masse is a national movement. It sends a message that there are people out there who care and want and expect better than what they've been offered thus far. Badgering isn't a nice word. But again, studios are about dollars and cents. Tell them the reason you're not buying rather than simply NOT buying and you may very well get more prudent action as your response.

Forums like HTF are a superior way of expressing your disappointment because industry insiders are reading what's going on here. Even if they have no clout in particular, they are likely to pass on the news.

I have always said that studios today need someone in their home video apparatus that truly LOVES, KNOWS and UNDERSTANDS their catalogues. I have often tried to get into the front door with my CV and my appreciation for movie art but to no avail. It's disheartening, because some of the people I have spoken to currently responsible for doing the inside work - eg. making the decisions on what gets released and in what condition - truly have NO concept about the movie they're working on. I once spoke to an upper level exec at WB who shall remain nameless herein about releasing The Merry Widow (1934) to which she replied, "That's the one with Bette Davis from the 40s." I mean, if she doesn't even know the catalogue how can we expect that she'll do right by it?

I also spoke to someone at Fox who openly confessed to me that they don't watch "B&W" movies. Really?!?! Honestly!!!! If you have no interest in a third of your catalogue how can we expect that you'll be able to appreciate those movies as art? You can't even appreciate them as movies!!!! No, it's really disheartening. I would love to step into an executive role at either WB or Fox because I know both catalogues like the back of my hand. I also have an understanding of budgets and what can be done and at what speed and with what feasibility. The powers that be at present know the dollars and cents. They understand very little about the art in their possession or how to properly market it so that it will turn a profit and come to home video in a manner that we can all be proud of and look forward to adding to our collections.

Anyway, these are my two cents...for what they're worth!

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I still don't get this oft-repeated argument that MOD issues somehow demean films, denying them the proper respect that a standard retail release would somehow bestow. Well, you know what? What really denies films respect is keeping them unavailable for viewing. The various MOD programs have saved hundreds of films from that fate. Perhaps a mere handful would make viable retail releases, while all the rest would languish in near or total obscurity. I don't want to wait around for the purported glorification of never-to-happen fancy-schmancy releases; just let them be seen - that's how you resect them.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Paul Penna said:
I still don't get this oft-repeated argument that MOD issues somehow demean films, denying them the proper respect that a standard retail release would somehow bestow. Well, you know what? What really denies films respect is keeping them unavailable for viewing. The various MOD programs have saved hundreds of films from that fate. Perhaps a mere handful would make viable retail releases, while all the rest would languish in near or total obscurity. I don't want to wait around for the purported glorification of never-to-happen fancy-schmancy releases; just let them be seen - that's how you resect them.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. The problem isn't the concept, it's the execution. Warner made some missteps early on, but now they do it right. Many of the Warner Archive films have been remastered, they now put some effort into creating attractive cover art, and they run frequent sales. I have also been pleased with the Sony MODs I have purchased. I now have some very nice quality films which mean a lot to me but which never were going to get a standard retail release.

Fox has no excuse for botching its MOD program. Working models are out there for Fox to emulate.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Paul Penna said:
I agree with that except in terms of the Fox Cinema Archive. That line shows utter indifference to its library. Even the MGM line at least made an effort to avoid P&S transfers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right guys, there is no need to write some long post about why Fox is screwing the pooch while WA is doing good things with their MOD program. I have several hundred titles on DVD that probably wouldn't have been if it wasn't for WA. I refuse to buy any Fox titles until they decide to fully commit to their program so it can achieve it's potential. I'll keep buying titles from WA or even Olive and TT Blu-rays first.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I agree with the above. I should live so long as to see a retail release of "Side Show" starring Winnie Lightner. But it arrived last week on a very nice DVD thanks to the Warner Archive. I usually buy a a title or two every week from the Warner Archive and many more during the sales. If Fox were to start doing things right, I'd be buying from them as well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At this time, Fox Cinema Archives doesn't deserve my business and they won't get it until improvements have been made to their MOD program.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I was dragged kicking and screaming into adopting MOD, but now I do sincerely see it as a benefit to the hobby. When it first started it seemed to have everything against it and all the decisions being made appeared to be the wrong ones, but the WA has gotten over those first tentative steps and become a very well run operation. I'm happy to say that my initial misgivings have pretty much been resolved. Of course, I am very selective in what I buy and often weigh the pros and cons of each individual release, but I'm glad to have the choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks